Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: interesting: duck clutch hand operated clutch system

interesting: duck clutch hand operated clutch system

from australia: http://www.pmeautoconversions.com.au...ctronic-clutch

Driving 'Stick' Is Your Choice

The Electronic Clutch modification is for use by disabled drivers who prefer the control offered by a manual transmission but have difficulty operating the clutch pedal. The Device provides the driver with fingertip control of the clutch, removing the need for use of the left leg to perform gear changes. It is suitable for amputees or paraplegics, among others, especially in the case where an automatic model of a vehicle is not available.

By mounting the device on the gear stick, this modification allows the driver to operate the clutch with the left hand to make smooth gear changes. It replaces the original gear knob and incorporates a finger operated trigger lever and button. The aluminum trigger controls the clutch, with the pedal moving proportionally.

Smart Technology for Individualised Control

Control can be individualized to the user’s driving technique to improve the fit between driver and vehicle, even to suit requirements of high performance race cars. The device also uses a computer to determine the location of the ‘friction point’ and automatically find it when the trigger is released slightly. The result is complete clutch control performed extremely naturally.

To allow for conventional operation of the clutch, the electronic clutch can be disabled and re-enabled at any time using a switch on the dashboard. The unit comes in either treated wood or leather.

Anyone still make an Auto Stick, like I remember Porsche did?

Interesting indeed, but still doesn't solve the issue of needing a third hand.

I looked into a similar system a few years ago and found one that was designed more for truckers, but the company said it costs about $3,000, which was more than the car I was looking at.

I towed an enclosed trailer behind an Outback for 2000 miles & had to stay out of 5th gear the entire time. I used the SportShift feature of the transmission most of the way & I didn't have any problems using it with only two hands (C6/7).

point: I think the shifter could work...

I used a sportshift system on a rental car earlier this year and liked it. Yes, it's very possible to use it but it means you have to release full control of the car for a second or two while you shift. What if something happens while you're shifting? It just makes me nervous, is all. I didn't use it full time on the rental.

I've always wanted to have a steering/control system where lock-to-lock is done in 180 degrees of wheel movement. That would allow it to have throttle, brake, shifting, etc. mounted right to the wheel (like paddle shifters in use on many cars).

I built my formula car kinda like that. Only needed the throttle on the wheel, though. Worked great!!!

Looks interesting, I think I saw that years ago but could be mistaken. It would be cool on an old muscle car or maybe a jeep but with todays electronic auto/manual transmissions, I can't think of any cars that I'd want a strictly manual in. Well maybe the CTS-V.
    My BMW has a steptronic 6 speed that can be driven manual. It's a lot of fun and thats how I usually drive it. Can eat up a ton of gas quick. The only time I feel iffy is on upshifts when there's a hard turn coming up. I'll often miss the shift and have to wait out the turn. Luckily redline is 7000. I think a paddle shifter would solve that though. Downshifts are always on straights or before a turn so thats no problem.

It's the same as the Guido Simplex duck clutch that Redi-auto used to carry.

There are a few European companies that offer this system (electronic clutch) and I had one for couple years back in Ireland. They work great and are fairly straight forward to install. I brought one back several years ago from Ireland but haven't bought a car to install yet. Somehow they quadruple in price once they hit America?

Hand clutch for manual transmission car

I just installed a hand clutch in a 1992 Mazda Miata. It's the best purely mechanical device I've found. Maybe not as good as the electronically operated devices that have a switch on the shifter, like the Guido Simplex, but pretty functional and much cheaper. It was 234 British pounds, plus 85 British pounds to ship. So it was around $500. That's a lot, but the electronic devices cost thousands. Here's a video demonstrating it:

Plus I think it's a bit of an advantage to be operating a purely mechanical thing -- you get a feel for the clutch engagement point that's probably similar to what you'd get with your foot.
    Last edited by Scripsit; 06-04-2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: embed video