Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chia seeds

Chia seeds

Hi, has anyone tried eating Chia seeds? Dr. Oz recommends them as a "super food" so I thought I would try them. He warns you that you can't eat the seeds meant for the Chia pets since they have pesticides. I went to my vitamin store and bought a little bag for eating. If you put the seeds in water they expand to almost 6 times in volume. I put 4 tablespoons in sugar free jello and ate 1/4 a day. My bowels are really moving very smoothly now and thats new (and good) since its usually sluggish. Anyway, it doesn't help reduce my appetite like Dr. Oz said but since its helping my bowels I think I'll keep taking 1 tbsp a day.
    I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and
    hunger.

My husband and I have been adding them to our food for about three months and we love them. They are supposed to be many times more nutritious than flax seeds, and the fiber they provide is a real boon. They have a slightly nutty taste which does not dominate food. We grind ours almost to a powder, as the whole seeds get stuck between teeth and partial plates. I highly recommend them. As you point out, Ivyella, the organic seeds are the ones to buy.

Bonnette, I am trying to figure out how to eat them. I tried putting them in a food processor to grind but that didn't work. I don't want to put them in a muffin because I am trying to cut down on foods with flour. I have been putting the whole seed in jello and it reminds me of raspberry seeds but I do like chewing it. Any suggestions on other ways to eat them?
    I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and
    hunger.

Chia pudding. Or mixed with yogurt.

I make about 2 cups of the paste (1/3 cup chia, 2 1/3 cup water) and use it to swallow all of my meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivyella View Post
    Bonnette, I am trying to figure out how to eat them. I tried putting them in a food processor to grind but that didn't work. I don't want to put them in a muffin because I am trying to cut down on foods with flour. I have been putting the whole seed in jello and it reminds me of raspberry seeds but I do like chewing it. Any suggestions on other ways to eat them?
    We use a dedicated coffee grinder and grind the seeds (1/4 cup at a time) coarsely, until they look about like ground black pepper. Then we sprinkle, spoon or stir them into almost everything, as their taste doesn't compete with other flavors - sprinkled like pepper over food, stirred into soups (1 tbsp per bowl) and sauces, added to oatmeal or cereal, pots of beans or lentils, just about anything you can think of. I don't bake with them, because high heat might damage some of the volatile oils - but we add the seeds to hot food after it comes out of the oven or off the burner.

As Scaper1 says, you can stir the seeds into water or other liquids to make a paste - and this is an excellent thing to do when you want to thicken foods. The seeds absorb so much water that they are much more efficient than agar or tapioca.

2 tbsp a day of the seeds are all a person needs to stay regular, too, as the seeds have so much fiber and ability to attract water - we find it's very easy to put that amount on food each day.

Have fun with them, experiment away!

So they can't be ground to powder? I was thinking of making a whey protein pudding and trying to add chia grounded into powder so it would be high fiber and high protein.
    And the truth shall set you free.

I eat these everyday, in cereal, oatmeal and if you're going to bake just soak the seeds in water to make a paste and replace the butter\margarine with the paste to make it low fat.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    So they can't be ground to powder? I was thinking of making a whey protein pudding and trying to add chia grounded into powder so it would be high fiber and high protein.
    Yes, you can grind them to any consistency you like.

I use them in gluten free baking - I soak the seeds in a bit of water till they go all gooey then add a couple of tablespoons of the mix to whatever I'm cooking. It's the best thing I've found for improving the consistency of gluten free foods.

interesting. I have heard that people eat chia seeds.