Thread: Rotator Cuff Problem?

Rotator Cuff Problem?

THIS IS LONG:Hey so friday my friend and i decided to go to the gym, unfortunately something happened to me =-(, i went for a little run to warm up, i did warm up, but i think because i didn't warm up my rotator cuff, with arm circles or stretched that much this happened, we went to shoulder press, i grabbed my 40s, and yes Ive done 8 reps with 40s before, so i know i could do it, i was doing the presses and in about the 4 or 5 rep i felt something weird in the shoulder, didn't hear a pop, or rip, anything like that it just moved in a weird way, i tried to fix my posture and finished that set. Now next time we did that exercise i lowered my weight to be safe, maybe it wasn't my day i thought lol. Lowered to 35s my friend of course was like oh cm on you are lowering the weight lol , still i continued with 35s just to be safe, i did the same thing and on the 3 rep i felt the same thing, but stupid of me i continued BIG MISTAKE, stupid ego and on the 5 rep it happened again, but it held the longest, so i said this is it, i didn't continue to workout because of fear of making the strain or injury worst. Now i don't think is nothing serious, my flexibility is still the same, my shoulder hurts when i put my arm in a shoulder press position, and when i lift it straight past my head,what im planning to do is, back down from upper body stuff, arms, chest and back which were the most fun for me =-(, and focus on legs and core, and cardio, and also do some exercises to rehabilitate the shoulder like tying a band to a pole and grabbing the band with my hand to the side and rotating the arm as far out as possible or inner rotations and outer rotations XD, and hoping that by next week ill be better, and when i come back to shoulder, i wont go heavy on the weights maybe 15-10 pounds lower than i normally do higher reps 12-15 What do you think? should i do those exercises or should i stop using the shoulder for a while and well this was last friday its been a week from that and the pain is alot better, it went down alot since then, but still ill wait till monday and see how it is, if not maybe another week, just to do a test, push ups did not hurt my shoulder, maybe sometimes i feel a slight discomfort but nothing major, pull ups the same thing, only in pull ups thought, i can do chin ups no problem the difference is the underhand and outer hand position, my shoulder doesn't hurt unless i try to make it hurt putting it in positions that i know are uncomfortable, what hurts the most probably is when i stretch it past my head something like this http://chourishi.in/stretching/img/S...or_Stretch.jpg but the pain is tolerable in a scale from 1 to 10 about a 1-2 maybe 3 if i REALLY stretch it jaja, but i don't know what do you think, if it hurts more than 2 weeks im planning to go to the doctor, i am just afraid of surgery :S. Thanks, what do you think it is? Deltoid Strain?, ive seen websites in wich they divide it into 3 grades 3 being the worst and even the rotator cuff they divide into 3, as ive seen i think i have grade 1, i can usee my arm normally, it only hurts when i really want it to make it hurt, i can do pushups with no to little discomfort, same with pullups, i cant really say where the pain is coming from but i think its from about the middle deltoid down to where it connects to the bicep and tricep. If you want any more information, feel free to ask.

Put ice on it, rest it, take ibuprofen and go see an orthopedic doc with sports medicine experience. You probably just strained a muscle or tendon.

Quote Originally Posted by avictoria View Post
    Put ice on it, rest it, take ibuprofen and go see an orthopedic doc with sports medicine experience. You probably just strained a muscle or tendon.
    Well its been almost two weeks now and the pain has subside alot, just for a test, pushups dont bother at all, its just when i finish doing them and i get up i can actually feel a little sharp pain, is not a ENORMOUS amount of pain, but i feel it then it goes away, same when doing shoulder press, i do them little to no discomfort and then when i finish i feel this little pain, i havent done a workout, but was just testing did a few reps to see, ive been doing rehab exercises low weight 15-20 reps 3 sets each, ive been strecthing, been doing yoga, lower body,core etc.. but i really feel the urge of doing upper body again, but i know its better to wait a few weeks than to wait a few months jaja. I wanted to start exercising on monday but i think ill have a little pain still, should i start and do high reps on everything and replace presses or any overhead type move with a rehab exercise lateral raises or something like that, my upper body workouts would consist of only pushups and pullups ,but i dont know, inflammation is not a symptom, never was even in day one, just pain. so what should i wait one more week, start exercising low weight higher reps replacing presses?

As a Gym addict for over 50 years, I gotta tell you to quit testing it all the time. You have a small tear in the least, I can bet. I've torn the bicep off the longhead in both shoulders, torn spinatus in both, and full length tears in the main rotator. Most was done doing the same thing you are doing; small pain doing an inconsequential exercize compounded by continual testing. You have to let it rest, and do like you are doing now. I'm still in the gym but no more 350lb. bench presses, or overhead heavy lifting. I also did a little warm up but hardly any cool downs. I'm better at that alsonow.

I can't stop going to the gym or handcycling. It's just part of my life. I'm pretty busted up in the shoulders after 38 yrs. of dragging my sorry ass thru life but trustfully, I'm smarter. Course being smarter doesn't attach any of the muscle back.

I always thought the therabands were for wussies but am using them more and more along with a good trainer who thinks outside of the box when it comes to exercizing with sci. You can check out his site: revive-a-back.com.

Yeah, start slow, low poundage and no full extension laterals. it's more about good form and function than it is about poundage and high,fast reps. Look around your gym and see how many of the guys/girls are doing heavy weights but doing the exercize wrong or not isolating the muscle group they are intending to work. Bicep curl guys crack me up, heavy poundage and swinging the back like its a rocking chair rather than using the proper #'s and no swinging. I usualy concentrate on keeping my armpit and elbow down thus keeping the shoulder down and keeping the shoulder girdle in a nuetral position.

It's tough not to go full tilt, but ya gotta workout smart to keep the shoulders healthy. Remember pain is your friend, it's telling you that you are not doing something right so isten and do it right. Glad to see you are still in there maximizing your potential. Ice is especially your friend also.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 10-28-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    As a Gym addict for over 50 years, I gotta tell you to quit testing it all the time. You have a small tear in the least, I can bet. I've torn the bicep off the longhead in both shoulders, torn spinatus in both, and full length tears in the main rotator. Most was done doing the same thing you are doing; small pain doing an inconsequential exercize compounded by continual testing. You have to let it rest, and do like you are doing now. I'm still in the gym but no more 350lb. bench presses, or overhead heavy lifting. I also did a little warm up but hardly any cool downs. I'm better at that alsonow.

I can't stop going to the gym or handcycling. It's just part of my life. I'm pretty busted up in the shoulders after 38 yrs. of dragging my sorry ass thru life but trustfully, I'm smarter. Course being smarter doesn't attach any of the muscle back.

I always thought the therabands were for wussies but am using them more and more along with a good trainer who thinks outside of the box when it comes to exercizing with sci. You can check out his site: revive-a-back.com.

Yeah, start slow, low poundage and no full extension laterals. it's more about good form and function than it is about poundage and high,fast reps. Look around your gym and see how many of the guys/girls are doing heavy weights but doing the exercize wrong or not isolating the muscle group they are intending to work. Bicep curl guys crack me up, heavy poundage and swinging the back like its a rocking chair rather than using the proper #'s and no swinging. I usualy concentrate on keeping my armpit and elbow down thus keeping the shoulder down and keeping the shoulder girdle in a nuetral position.

It's tough not to go full tilt, but ya gotta workout smart to keep the shoulders healthy. Remember pain is your friend, it's telling you that you are not doing something right so isten and do it right. Glad to see you are still in there maximizing your potential. Ice is especially your friend also.
    wow thanks, good advice, but are u saying i shouldn't do any rehab exercises? or that i shouldn't start next week? know how you feel,been working out for a little over a year now, and its just fun, its so addicting, the satisfaction of doing more weight or getting one more pullup that day, the pump is so good. I mean i dont get depressed about much stuff if not anything, but when this happened and i couldnt really follow my routine very well i got bummed, but for you it must have been terrible :S

Just ease into it. Listen to your body. Yeah, it's still pretty hard going in there and not doing the old presses. For me, I didn't rest them too much after the damage.just smarter. I was told it was better to move them than not move them. It won't be long and you'll be back at it full bore. May not be a bad idea looking at what the guys competing are doing to help with the conditioning. I do massage and chiro 2x's a week so that really helps bigtime. I made a deal with them 14 years ago to see how long we can go before surgery.

I'm 38 years in and 63 so yeah, I'd better change the routine lol. Keep 'em moving, maximize that potential and work out smart in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Just ease into it. Listen to your body. Yeah, it's still pretty hard going in there and not doing the old presses. For me, I didn't rest them too much after the damage.just smarter. I was told it was better to move them than not move them. It won't be long and you'll be back at it full bore. May not be a bad idea looking at what the guys competing are doing to help with the conditioning. I do massage and chiro 2x's a week so that really helps bigtime. I made a deal with them 14 years ago to see how long we can go before surgery.

I'm 38 years in and 63 so yeah, I'd better change the routine lol. Keep 'em moving, maximize that potential and work out smart in the gym.
    Well, i guess ill keep dong my rehab exercises, since it seems that my shoulder gets better, 0 pushups, 0 pullups, 0 curls, 0 presses, just squats and legs work and ab work for now, ill put ice even thought i dont think i need it, but lets see, i really want to do upper body again lol, and i dont go to the gym and do in-home workout. Got my weights and pullup bar here, thats why i was testing doing 1 or 2 reps on a pullup 1 or 2 reps on the pushups etc.. Lets hope that by monday the pain is gone, if not well another week off upper body.