Thread: ez lock failure/manual release

ez lock failure/manual release

my ez lock is unreliable at best and the manual release lever is way out of reach. i put in a temporary release but i'd like to see other examples before i commit to a design. anybody?

'Those who would trade liberty for safety deserve neither.' - Benjamin Franklin

http://www.cafepress.com/Shopcspine

Hmmmm.... Interesting...

My EZ Lock has performed perfectly over past six years in -35 degrees C to 30+ degrees C.

What do the installation people have to say? Of all the equipment/mods in w/c vans, the ez lock seems to be the last thing people have trouble with.

In the course of regular maintenence, they did pop off the cover and saudered (sp?) a wire coming loose. Could that be your problem?

I've not found any relationship to temperature extremes. Over the course of years it is my experience as a user that the intermitant failure is prelude to total failure. One thing that happens is the locking mechanism develops burrs and does not release easily. You can sand them smooth, but in my case it was a 6 to 9 month stop gap. The servo that trips the latch is not a common part. Once it fails, you may be able to put a cable on the release, but it depends on your strenght whetever you want to do this except on emergency basis.

Buying a new unit is one of the cheapist fixes in driving, but nothing is cheap. $800 or there about. You might try not hitting it quite so hard. Mine went out this time last year. I hit it pretty hard especial when my WC tires are wet.

Vinyl floor and sloped dropped floor. = speed when wet.

fixing it isn't the problem. i'm hard on my lock down and it will break and be fixed. when it DOES break i'm stuck in my van till i get help. i had a battery explode [litterally] in my bus and was tottally helpless for hours. i'm looking for examples of reachable manual releases. ez lock says they are developing one but my guess is it will be an expensive upgrade. i have mine rigged with masons twine and 1/4 20 copper tubing till i get back to the nw.

Originally posted by Cspine:
    i'm looking for examples of reachable manual releases. ez lock says they are developing one but my guess is it will be an expensive upgrade. i have mine rigged with masons twine and 1/4 20 copper tubing till i get back to the nw.
    In that case, I think you've done about all you can. I tried a manual choke cable in the generic / longest size available and fastened it to the floor with nylon loops. I don't know what else to call them.

I tend to drag my foot plates right over the latch and occasionally hang on it. I would have put a cap over the wire running through the release if I kept that setup long.

Sounds like you are going in my same direction. A cable might be neater, just have to route it so it doesn't bind.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Cspine:

my ez lock is unreliable at best and the manual release lever is way out of reach. i put in a temporary release but i'd like to see other examples before i commit to a design. anybody?

Hi Cspine. Qstraint just now came out with a lock down called the QLK-200, it has a dash release and has more clearance on your chair mount.It's so new though it's not on thier site yet, try calling 1-800-987-9987 for a video or info. Hope this helps!!

Quote Originally Posted by shebaspirit View Post
    "]http://www.cafepress.com/Shopcspine
    [/url]
    Hi Cspine. Qstraint just now came out with a lock down called the QLK-200, it has a dash release and has more clearance on your chair mount.It's so new though it's not on thier site yet, try calling 1-800-987-9987 for a video or info. Hope this helps!![/QUOTE]

How much $ (ballpark)

used my ezlok for 14 yrs, never a failure. keep it clean, lubricated and maintained.

being hard on equipment should not mean abusing equipment.

if you do, expect it to leave you in a predicament.

Quote Originally Posted by Cspine View Post

When I bought my van used it had a cable someone made here are the photos I hope you can see them.
    They just drilled a hole in the red release lever and threaded a cable in it than used a wire clamp to keep it from pulling out. Used a u clamp to hold it down and direct it off to the drivers left and threaded it in a hole in the interior panel and put a large loop on the end. It works good.
    ^^(A)^^

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    When I bought my van used it had a cable someone made here are the photos I hope you can see them.
    They just drilled a hole in the red release lever and threaded a cable in it than used a wire clamp to keep it from pulling out. Used a u clamp to hold it down and direct it off to the drivers left and threaded it in a hole in the interior panel and put a large loop on the end. It works good.

Ez lock has a kit that does the same thing, your dealer should know about it.

We've made stuff like this for a long time.
    The trick sometimes it trying to fit something in around all the other equipment so that the client can do it.

We've done the same thing with gas door's and hood release's.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA