Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: f#cking Dragon

  1. #1
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,691

    f#cking Dragon

    My left hand hasn't been working well last few days, so I'm back to Dragon NaturallySpeaking. This is one of the worst most difficult annoying effed-up programs.



    If the microphone isn't .001 angstroms within perfect placement, forget it.



    It's only taken about 20 corrections to type this much. Christ, disability isn't so bad when the equipment works right, but when it's disabled too oh jeez! and imak]sp/f­wooitœrRsee.… 80,clus(sup]fupsfups

    I fucking HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this software!!!!!!!!!!!

    (typed with one finger on bad hand)

  2. #2
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,691
    I changed one of the accuracy recognition settings to see if it makes a difference. Apparently, for the moment, it has. This is confusing since it was working accurately this morning without me having made that change.GF are going shopping tonight for a better headset.



    Though even a new headset won't make the program run any better when he does things like after I make a correction in the correction box, it leaves the window I'm working in so the correction isn't typed. I have to mouseclick on the window to make it active again and then repeat everything I said during the correction.



    Thinking of cutting off my left hand and mailing it to the people at Nuance, the makers of Dragon NaturallySpeaking and explaining that a severed hand may be better than using their program to type. ;-\

  3. #3
    What version of Dragon, computer, and mic are you using? I have great luck with V11 on a quad core AMD machine, 4GB of RAM, Windows 7 Premium, using a Blue Snowball USB mic. With this setup I can "type" by voice in my office with the TV on in my living room 20' away with near perfect results, and the mic is 2-3' away from me. Unless you buy a really good sound card USB mic's seem to provide superior sound recording.

    The audio of my first 2 or 3 youtube video's was recorded with a Blue Snowball, you can hear my computer fan in the background yet Dragon still works well for me
    http://www.crippieboy.com

    Blue Snowball
    www.bluemic.com/snowball/

  4. #4
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripple Concepts View Post
    What version of Dragon, computer, and mic are you using? I have great luck with V11 on a quad core AMD machine, 4GB of RAM, Windows 7 Premium, using a Blue Snowball USB mic. With this setup I can "type" by voice in my office with the TV on in my living room 20' away with near perfect results, and the mic is 2-3' away from me. Unless you buy a really good sound card USB mic's seem to provide superior sound recording.

    The audio of my first 2 or 3 youtube video's was recorded with a Blue Snowball, you can hear my computer fan in the background yet Dragon still works well for me
    http://www.crippieboy.com

    Blue Snowball
    www.bluemic.com/snowball/
    I'll try to respondto what you said. Interesting, Dragon decided to create a new line in that sentence. Well, I guess it's in charge.

    I looked up the microphone you suggested and I don't know if I could use it. I use a laptop. I don't know where I would put the microphone. But I am encouraged by the reported sound quality of the Blue Snowball USB mic. If you have a suggestion on how I can use it with my laptop, I may check it out.

    My version of Dragon is 10 Standard with Windows 7, 4 GB of RAM, dual processor and currently a plug in mic. I just made a correction, Dragon completed a correction, then took me out of the window I was typing in.

    I've been using Dragon NaturallySpeaking since 2000 and had varied results. I have never, not once had the kind of accuracy they report. I appreciate any help you can offer to help me make this thing work. My left hand might be better by tomorrow, or it could be a week or two weeks, but in the meantime I'm going to go nuts if I have to fight Dragon for control of my computer.

  5. #5
    Your biggest problem is likely a mediocre sound chip on the mobo of your laptop. Numerous USB mic's exist, the Blue Snowball is big and heavy so it might not be your best option, I grabbed a couple links that might help.

    http://usbmicreview.com/

    Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...eb5f3f167af13b

    http://www.pcspeak.com/products/microphones.shtml

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,541
    Blog Entries
    1
    I also hate the piece is shit. The voice recognition built into windows 2007 Is not much worse In accuracy, and is significantly less infuriating in other ways. And tThey don't charge you for the torture.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I changed one of the accuracy recognition settings to see if it makes a difference. Apparently, for the moment, it has. This is confusing since it was working accurately this morning without me having made that change.GF are going shopping tonight for a better headset.



    Though even a new headset won't make the program run any better when he does things like after I make a correction in the correction box, it leaves the window I'm working in so the correction isn't typed. I have to mouseclick on the window to make it active again and then repeat everything I said during the correction.



    Thinking of cutting off my left hand and mailing it to the people at Nuance, the makers of Dragon NaturallySpeaking and explaining that a severed hand may be better than using their program to type. ;-\
    Thanks for the laugh. Voice rec. software is drives me nuts!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

    I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

  8. #8
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripple Concepts View Post
    Your biggest problem is likely a mediocre sound chip on the mobo of your laptop. Numerous USB mic's exist, the Blue Snowball is big and heavy so it might not be your best option, I grabbed a couple links that might help.

    http://usbmicreview.com/

    Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...eb5f3f167af13b

    http://www.pcspeak.com/products/microphones.shtml
    Thanks for the help.Girlfriend and I checked out USB microphones last night. I did an audio quality check and the USB headset we tried it got a number of 18. The old headset I'm using now got a number of 32. Dragon is still running horribly bad. The recognition is much better now that I made an adjustment in the accuracy/speed, but it's still doing very strange things. Like starting a new line in the middle of a sentence, or me asking for a new paragraph and instead only getting the cursor moved down one line. It's simply awful.

    I've never had a version of Dragon run so badly. It's also sometimes recognizing my diction and not typing any of it. It will be somewhat of a convenience when I can use my hands again. Right now I hate this software so much I want to find where it lives and kill it.

    Products that don't exist are better than products that don't work. Very grumpy this morning about my hands and VR software.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Van Quad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,558
    I've been using Dragon since 1993 and I agree with your frustration. I'm using version 10 with Vista and course it's working perfectly right now but sometimes it's like it is deliberately trying to frustrate you. For instance, my dictation will always appear incorrect but the correct version is #2 in the Spell drop-down box.

    NaturallySpeaking has become naturally frustrating.

  10. #10
    My .02...

    - USB mics SUCK. Because of my need for Dragon I've always made sure my computers have separate microphone and headphone inputs of the 1.8 mm variety. Maybe it's my imagination but it makes all the difference in the world.

    - I ran Dragon 10 on XP, 10.1 on 7, and now 11 on 7. The key for me was to train the voice model with as much noise as possible in the background. Even though it said my test failed I was still able to train and get accustomed to all the background noise so that I wouldn't need the microphone in the exact same spot all the time.

    - I used to use a pair of Plantronics behind the head earphones that I would swap out frequently due to overuse, but I'm not sure if they make them anymore. I scrimped and saved to get a pair of Sennheiser G4ME 300 ear buds. They're awesome.


    Hope some/any of this works...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 08:54 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-27-2010, 09:15 PM
  3. Dragon v10 49.99
    By mizzootiger in forum Computers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 04:33 PM
  4. Dragon 8.0 Help please
    By Emi2 in forum Computers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-06-2005, 12:45 PM
  5. Dragon
    By crazyskiier83 in forum Computers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 07:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •