Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jeep Wrangler w/ hand controls

Here's bfd's rig - I just copied & pasted the img location...

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=145255

Look under the Baldfatdad post. There are a couple pics of it. I rebuilt it over 5 years. The red neck way. In the garage and tent out back. Did everything, but sand blast it. Learned I can't paint. Hate wet sanding. I use to live in Glenwood Springs. I'd like to get a 6. Have found a couple, but can't talk myself into starting another project. 10-28-2011 04:12 PM
    Sweet! Thx a la carte, saw the before pic too. Looks like you tore it down to a rolling tub. Whew, that's a lot of work. Coming along nicely. I'd soooooooo love to go Jeep'in again. If I had a scanner I'd post a pic of my CJ-5.

I've had my '76 IH Scout II modified as well with Bruno seat & lift. Also a C6-7 injury. I've been tooling around CO mntns for about 6yrs now. Nice to get up in the backcountry.

Modifying Jeeps, Scouts, Broncos, Blazers, etc. isn't that difficult given that most older models have pretty wide doorways, big cab space. I had a Tundra for 10yrs or so but the cabin was definitively tighter / smaller.

Ultimately, if you're a strong para with hand strength or incomplete quad getting in/out isn't that tough. Once you're @ C5,6,7 then you may need a bruno type swivel-seat that has about 18" of travel or so for a more even transfer.

Either way, great to see these modified vehicles..

Onward & Upward,

Chris
    cchappell@craighospital.org

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweeds View Post
    Sweet! Thx a la carte, saw the before pic too. Looks like you tore it down to a rolling tub. Whew, that's a lot of work. Coming along nicely. I'd soooooooo love to go Jeep'in again. If I had a scanner I'd post a pic of my CJ-5.
    I wish.
    I tore it down to the last nut and bolt. I started fixing two small rust holes in the tub. I had always hated the tops: squeaking, rattleing. So I build the new top and the roll cage to hold it up. No squeaks and its velcro wrapped to the cage so no flapping. Has a sun roof, you flip open. The windows use velcro, so no dam zippers to repair every couple years. I sat the body on the frame and it made the frame look so bad, I did that, and on and on. I finished it two years ago, if you ever really finish a jeep. Had it to NM, CO, WI, NC since. I'm trying to scratch the paint up enough to repaint it. I don't like the checks.

How do the rest of you get your chairs in and what kind of chair. I use my folding Quickie, cause I have to take the wheels off it to get it in. My seats don't lean back, so not much room between me and the steering wheel. I'm thinking of trying one of the Cragar removable wheels, but wonder if it will take the abuse of me hauling my butt up on it.
    I already have plans to put a small winch on the cage so I can lift myself in when I'm not strong enough.
    I've tried to leave it so me or someone else could put it back to stock at sometime. They are so rare I don't want to mess it up.

Nice ride, after driving a 2 seat convertible for a few years after my injury I wanted a 4x4 as well. At first I bought a brand new truck, put on big tires and well the first time I slid into a tree and cracked the cheap fiberglass fenders I knew I wanted something different. So I sold my truck and bought my '74 Bronco in '97 drove it as a daily driver for 6 or 7 years before I got another vehicle as the old carbureted 302 doesn't exactly get good gas mileage but damn if it doesn't have a lot of horsepower. I Love it.... It's had some tough love and spent a few months in a pasture recently needing some work done to it, but it's one vehicle I don't ever wanna get rid. If I ever get the money to swap in a newer fuel injected engine then it will be put back into daily driver duty. I used 33 inchers for the road but have put on 36 inchers when I knew I was going to be off road more, so far I haven't gotten it stuck.
    Most everything I say is

Above is how it currently looks, here is a picture from the first summer I had it. Lets just say I had the best parking space at the lake!
    Most everything I say is

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I wish.
    I tore it down to the last nut and bolt. I started fixing two small rust holes in the tub. I had always hated the tops: squeaking, rattleing. So I build the new top and the roll cage to hold it up. No squeaks and its velcro wrapped to the cage so no flapping. Has a sun roof, you flip open. The windows use velcro, so no dam zippers to repair every couple years. I sat the body on the frame and it made the frame look so bad, I did that, and on and on. I finished it two years ago, if you ever really finish a jeep. Had it to NM, CO, WI, NC since. I'm trying to scratch the paint up enough to repaint it. I don't like the checks.

How do the rest of you get your chairs in and what kind of chair. I use my folding Quickie, cause I have to take the wheels off it to get it in. My seats don't lean back, so not much room between me and the steering wheel. I'm thinking of trying one of the Cragar removable wheels, but wonder if it will take the abuse of me hauling my butt up on it.
    I already have plans to put a small winch on the cage so I can lift myself in when I'm not strong enough.
    I've tried to leave it so me or someone else could put it back to stock at sometime. They are so rare I don't want to mess it up.
    It's pretty easy to do- mine uses a 2K Warn winch mounted on a swivle boom made of roll bar tubing. I use a toileting sling. The winch can lift a manual or power chair into the back. To remove, just unplug and lift the boom and winch out (requires AB friend).
    4xquad

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bishop View Post
    It's pretty easy to do- mine uses a 2K Warn winch mounted on a swivle boom made of roll bar tubing. I use a toileting sling. The winch can lift a manual or power chair into the back. To remove, just unplug and lift the boom and winch out (requires AB friend).
    Do you have any pics or video???? I'm think of building something similar to get into my Polaris RZR while it's on the trailer. Currently, I have to have someone load and unload the RZR but if I were able to get into it while it was trailered, I could do it myself....

I could only find the picture I used for the forum. I'm a C6/7 so I use a 4 pt. harness for stability. I leave the sling on when driving as none of it is under my butt to cause problems. I'll try to get detailed pictures when I drive it next time.
    4xquad

how high is the measurement from ground to seat?

Hi Scott,

how high is the measurement from ground to seat?
    i.e. how much do youneed to lift my butt to get into you Jeep?

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    C6/7 here, have a ricon lift in the rear + a 6-way power seat base under the drivers seat. My rig is on 35" tires as well w/ > 4" of lift.