Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ears still blocked a little after landing a week ago

Curt, oh i had the pain. It was pretty severe, and it did burst Sunday evening, ran the crap outta my ear for two days, is a bit better now, but still have REALLY reduced heaing. Will go back in if not better in a couple a days.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin'guy View Post
    Curt, oh i had the pain. It was pretty severe, and it did burst Sunday evening, ran the crap outta my ear for two days, is a bit better now, but still have REALLY reduced heaing. Will go back in if not better in a couple a days.
    Oh man, sorry to hear that, that sucks. Definatly see a good ear doctor, nothing to mess around with. So the ear drum is punctured? I feared thats what happened to me, but it was just loaded with fluid, finally breaking up some today. I've been really tending to it and luckly it did not seem to be infected and never hurt at all. Sounds like you had a bad infection with yours? I'm surprised the doc did not have you on Amoxicillian? Are you fighting a UTI at the same time or something?
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curt is right. This is not anything to fool around with. Do not stick anything in your ear, drink plenty of fluids, and call your doc!
    CKF

I do take the bactrim, prophilactilly, every day, the levaquin is just for another 2 days. Nothing in my ear, bigger than my little finger, so not to worry. Just waiting for the hearing to clear up and the head to clear(feels like I'm thinking and processing my thots about a foot from my head, just in a fog.

My ear's been clogged up for about a year. Finally saw a doc, she said no wax, no infection, but I have a severely deviated septum. Told me that's why I can't sleep, I don't breathe through my nose. Wants me to see an ENT doc. Eustachian tube problems, like Curt mentioned above.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Well I think I'm finally on the road to recovery from this problem after a month, still not there yet. I went to the ear doc today and they cleared out my ears. They wanted to set an appointment to put a tube in my right ear to drain the fluid out. I had read about this thing called a "ear popper" and questioned the nurse about it, she said "oh yes, they work great" turns out they had one there and I asked it we could give it a try? What it does is it blows air up your nose (a small a battery powered hand held device with a pressure regulator so as not to damage your ear drum) and ya know what, it worked to my amazement.

The problem I had was my right ear drum was sucked down from landing in the plane a month ago and was congested and stayed sucked down all this time and the fluid would not move as my eustation tube on that side must not be working like it should due to seasonal allergies. Anyhow, by blowing pressure up the right eustation tube it re-inflated my ear and this should gradually allow the fluid in my ear to drain, it seems like its mostly drained already, simply amazing.

So I went to their other office 20 miles away and bought one of these devices for $200.00 and will use it daily for the next week or so to gradually return the ear drum to its normal size and force any remaining fluid out. This device will be good to have in the future with me upon landing in planes incase I cannot clear my ears I can address it immediatly. By letting this go on so long it's going to take time to get my ear back to 100 percent. I'm going back into their office in around three weeks to have a hearing test to see if I lost very much hearing in my right ear, I'm sure I lost a little after this ordeal.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

No shit. Curt that sounds like it is just what I need. I've had ear problems for years, fluid behind eardrum etc. Can never get the fluid out. I'll ask Dr about it.

Well the ear popper device seems to be working out well for me, I need to use it a couple times a day for the next couple of months to fully clear out my ears. this whole ordeal has been a nightmare, but at least I can hear fine now and not hear a echo everytime I talk. They want me to come in for a hearing test in a couple of weeks, I think I might just cancel that appointment, it's just a way for them to make more money, just like they wanted to put tubes in my ears and charge for that proceedure rather than me buy a ear popper device and using it regularly until all the fluid has cleared, just the way the medical system works these days.

Heres a link to the device for anybody that may benefit by it like I have, it really does work if your problem is fluid in your ears especially from barotrauma, with me it was a combination of the barotrauma plus allergies at the same time. RDF, maybe this might help out with your problem, you may want to look into it. If you have a ruptured eardrum you don't want to be using this or an ear infection. It's simply amazing though how I got immediate relief from this device after suffering real bad for over a month. http://www.earpopper.com/
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred