Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ears still blocked a little after landing a week ago

ears still blocked a little after landing a week ago

I keep hoping especially my left ear gets unplugged. I've been taking decongestant tablets and nose spray the past few days to try and unclog it. When I tilt my head a certain way it seems a little better. Anybody have any other ideas of things to try? I shoulda been yawning when we were landing instead of talking I guess. I have not had this happen for a long time, normally I decompress my ears by yawning when the plane is desending.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Try holding your nose and blowing like you were trying to blow into a tissue. Usually the pressure of not letting the air out will pop your ears but don't do it too hard or you could do damage. Always worked for me.

Been trying that some and then yawning after, I guess this is just gonna take time. Thanks for the suggestion though. I must have a little bit of a head cold I guess.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

warm olive oil in microwave..add a few drops garlic oil if you can..(you can use galric press or just take some liquid form capsule or jar) antimicrobial..drip a few drops in ear while laying down on side..place cotton in ear to keep air out and wait a while..like 15 minutes..or just take a nap ) your ear will be unplugged and will help a earache too!

My kids never had a ear ache for long or ear inflection..may have to repeat if pain or discomfort return.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    maybe you got an ear infection? it is possible to have one and not have the normal cold symptons with it.

Hold your nose and drink some water at the same time? There are some nasty colds/viruses already going around this season.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I wonder if it's possible to use Canola oil instead of Olive Oil? got some of that but no Olive oil. Ya, I think I might have something, maybe picked it up on the plane? Been not feeling quite right since I got here to Florida a week ago. I am still taking Keflex for a UTI so that might be preventing a ear infection, only a day left to go on the keflex so I want to try and clear this ear out soon so that it does not become infected. It does not hurt or anything so I don't think it is infected, just plugged up some. I'll try the water idea, thanks. I can hear fluid moving around in it now when I tilt my head to the side, thats a good thing I guees, I think it's right on the verge of clearing. Maybe I should try pouring warm bottled water in the ear, maybe a little safer than the Canola oil?
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curt, I have just the thing. Years ago when I was a swimmer I ended up with blocked ears (one in particular) and saw an expert at Mass. Eye and Ear. He told me to buy an astringent wet dressing called Domeboro. It is a white powder available over the counter, although you might have to ask for it since sometimes they don't put it on the shelves but keep it in back. No prescription necessary. There will be little envelopes of the powder. Take about half an envelope (not too fussy on the ratio) and add it to slightly warm water. Not hot, just warm, a nice temp for your ear canal. Stir the powder in so that it is mixed in the water. Use a syringe or bulb and blow that solution into your ear. Turn your head immediately so your ear can drain. It might take doing it twice in a row, but this stuff really works. You will hear that the canal is back open almost immediately after a few crackling noises signaling the damn has broken.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Curt, I have just the thing. Years ago when I was a swimmer I ended up with blocked ears (one in particular) and saw an expert at Mass. Eye and Ear. He told me to buy an astringent wet dressing called Domeboro. It is a white powder available over the counter, although you might have to ask for it since sometimes they don't put it on the shelves but keep it in back. No prescription necessary. There will be little envelopes of the powder. Take about half an envelope (not too fussy on the ratio) and add it to slightly warm water. Not hot, just warm, a nice temp for your ear canal. Stir the powder in so that it is mixed in the water. Use a syringe or bulb and blow that solution into your ear. Turn your head immediately so your ear can drain. It might take doing it twice in a row, but this stuff really works. You will hear that the canal is back open almost immediately after a few crackling noises signaling the damn has broken.
    a general physician can do this if blocked/wax build up. it feels really good to get ears cleaned. they have a liquid(murine or something) that you put in and soak, then use syringe to blast warm water in ear. sounds like the start of an ear infection though, it's not uncommon to get ear infections fromelevation change while flying. some cannot even fly because of it.

You can buy all this at CVS. I had swimmers ear, annoying but fixable. NEVER shove a q tip in. Now you can buy these kits with the ear bulb, a wax remover, etc.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.