Thread: AD or Nerve Regeneration

AD or Nerve Regeneration

Hi ladies! I introduced myself in another post originally started by my partner who is T12 complete 15 years post. I come here because my question is specific to an exchange between two women who are both SCI's and I don't know, as AB, how exactly to handle it without offending.

Backstory: A friend of mine from highschool was involved in a diving accident last summer. She is approximately 16 months post injury and just finished another six week stint at rehab making great progress. She is now C 4/5 incomplete, has pressure sensation but no hot/cold, movement in biceps and triceps, very limited hand function. She also suffers from dysreflexia pretty frequently. Now I know what AD is and have had it described to me pretty well. However, my SO is a lower level injury and has never suffered from it so I don't have any actual experience with it.

Jump forward to today. She posted on facebook about having a particularly bad episode of AD this morning and proceeded to describe the symptoms as best as possible. Another female who is also a SCI comments that she should be happy! This is nerve regeneration and watch out because in the next week or so she should get some type of return of feeling or function. The original poster responds back that she's pretty sure it's AD cause it goes away when she caths. Commenter comes back again and tells her maybe some of it is AD but the rest of it definitely sounds like nerve regeneration. She goes on to tell a story about how the same thing happened to her two months after her injury and then the next week she could feel her abs again. Since then, a few other commenters have gotten on board and are chanting things such as go go go nerves regrow and other such silliness.

Normally, I wouldn't stick my nose in someone else's business. However, though my friend has a great attitude about her injury and recovery NOW, there was a time not too long ago when she wasn't dealing with it well at all. Essentially, the only thing that's got her so pumped up and excited now is the hope that she will one day walk again. She is determined to walk again. While she has improved her function, it's more improvement by adaptation not a true return of function. It's been almost a year and a half and no real return has materialized. It hurts me to know that she could be looking at a huge crash when she finally accepts that she likely never will get out of that chair.

All this to say what do you think? I'm pretty sure her symptoms are AD and NOT nerve generation. However, I am not disabled and the person commenting is. I run the risk of getting told I know nothing about SCI (not true) and should keep my mouth shut. On the other hand, I don't want my friend to get her hopes built up by someone who is sadly misinformed only to crash that much harder when her hopes don't happen.

What would you do in my situation? And sorry this was a monstrously long post! I'm a bit long winded

It sounds to me like you are right about the AD, as well as the fact that if you join in the conversation on facebook, you are likely to start an argument w/ the new poster, since she is already primed to argue with your friend.

So, talk to your friend, OFF facebook, and the 3rd party won't be involved. There is no need to join in of that conversation.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Thanks RoxandLex for this kind information.

Quote Originally Posted by RoxandLex View Post
    All this to say what do you think? I'm pretty sure her symptoms are AD and NOT nerve generation. However, I am not disabled and the person commenting is. I run the risk of getting told I know nothing about SCI (not true) and should keep my mouth shut. On the other hand, I don't want my friend to get her hopes built up by someone who is sadly misinformed only to crash that much harder when her hopes don't happen.

What would you do in my situation? And sorry this was a monstrously long post! I'm a bit long winded
    Keep your mouth shut.

If she's relying on FB for information she's in for more than disappointment.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

I'd stay out of it altogether.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12