Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bladder Disconfort

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Absolutely!!!

I am 29 years post injury, C6/7 complete. When I was first injured and for almost 18 years, I wore an external catheter. This worked well, until things began to change and my bladder would not empty as much as it once did. I had residual urine that was too high, and I was in jeopardy of urine reflux and at risk for frequent urinary tract infections.

I had to begin intermittent catheterization (CIC). That worked well for about 10 years, although I found CIC extremely disruptive to my daily activities and sleep at night. As my bladder began to change it would not hold very much urine before I began to have bladder spasms that would cause me to cath. Even with high doses of Oxybutinin, my bladder was only holding 150 to 250cc of urine between catheterization. I tried bladder Botox. Botox worked the first couple of times it was used and lasted about 6-8 months each time. Then with the 3rd and 4th administration of Botox, I got no significant therapeutic effect. Cathing every 2 hours became a real problem for my daily activities and sleep. I then began using an indwelling foley catheter, but started having frequent urinary tract infections over a year's time.

I consulted with several urologists. The only thing left for the management of my bladder were invasive bladder procedures. I selected the most simple of options, the supra pubic catheter (SPC). I am very satisfied with the SPC and really only wish I had done it sooner.

But, as you can see the neurogenic bladder does change over time and alternatives to management of the bladder must be considered.

All the best,
    GJ
    Thanks for the feedback. You have certainly provided me with a lot of options to look at. I guess I have been lucky that over the last 11 years I haven't noticed much change. I guess this spinal cord injury is a gift that keeps on giving.
    mike

You don't say how old you are, but also as men age, prostate problems become more common. It might be a thought to run by your urologist.
    CKF

I am 74 and I had a TURP several years ago. My urologist checked to insure that there was no regrowth or obstruction and there was not.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I am 74 and I had a TURP several years ago. My urologist checked to insure that there was no regrowth or obstruction and there was not.
    Mike,
    At age 74 (I am 67), I wouldn't even think twice about it...talk to your urologist and schedule a supra pubic catheter placement as soon as possible. This is a simple community medicine procedure that most urologists can perform on an out patient basis. The stay in the outpatient unit is 12 hours. You will be amazed at the improved quality of life once you go through the learning curve, which takes a couple weeks to a month.

All the best,
    GJ