Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Heating

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by lonecoaster View Post
    That was kinda the dream we started with, passive block, geothermal, but time and reality have kicked in. Taking MSspouse's advice and going to start removing carpet tonight. Thanks for the input.
    I ripped out my carpet and put in all hardwood floors(Bamboo). makes a big difference in allergies. I also put in new windows with the blinds in between glass panels and threw away all the curtains when I remodeled. It amazing all the crap curtains hold and they will never be again. I also put in a new furnace/central air 2 years ago(98% energy effecient) with allergen filter. Of course, a humidifier is a must if installing hardwood flooring. I haven't used allergy medicine since I did all this. I used to have electric baseboard heat, it's amazing how much a new furnace can save in energy costs.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    ... a humidifier is a must if installing hardwood flooring...
    Let me preface this by saying I like to challenge conventional wisdom and try new things. I have no humidifer but my house is very tight and I don't have bathroom fans. I get enough humidity from the shower and cooking. I rely on the heat pump to control humidity. I can run 40% - 50% RH in the dead of winter. I sometimes hear it in AC mode (dehumidifying).

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    if you are in cold country heat pump no good in my little opionion
    Air source HP is relatively affordable and doesn't drop below 100% efficiency until you get below about 30 degrees. Even in Michigan it's above 32 for at least 2/3 of the year. I have mine programmed to switch over to gas backup below 32.

I currently live in a subdivision so a geo-exchange HP was not practical. The next house which I am in the process of renovating has 5 acres land so it's in the future plans.

The installation of our geothermal unit was very little different than installing an air source HP and drilling a well. We put our wells in the front yard, we live in a subdivision also, so the drilling rig (a small trailer pulled behind a pickup truck) just pulled up, drilled, then drove off. It was just as easy as having any other well dug, maybe even easier due to where we put them. Our water well is in the back yard and was a pain in the butt getting the rig back there. Tore a bunch of stuff up, too! I'm only on 1/3 of an acre, which is more than enough. It wasn't cheap, ~$14k all in, but my experience taught me that installation is quite simple, and easy to do on a small lot with an old house (built in 1943).

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I have radiant floor heat built into the concrete floor slab [I live in the mountain desert-- most people have patio [cement floor housing = No basement or crawl space]. I have a forced air cooling system called a Swamp Cooler [it pumps humidity into the air] which rarely cools the house down once the outside temperature goes above 80'. I keep my thermostat set at 72' from Oct - May.

The plus for floor radiant heat is that heated air rises, being in a wheelchair I find this somewhat helpful. It can also be laid out in zones with a different thermostat for each zone. It does not decrease the dust.

Radiant heat requires skilled technichians. The company who installed my unit were not skilled. It created many problems. Example: my home has three heating zones and they only installed 2 thermostats. Later when they installed the 3rd thermostat they placed it wrong--it was placed in an already thermostatted zone.

My home has cathedral ceilings in each room, which means the heated or cooled air has to travel farther to get to wheelchair level. I am not sure if I made the right choice cost wise as I bought the house brand new.

I'm spinning my wheels. :0~

Alright made a decision. May not be a great one, but I'm running out of time.
    Decided to go with the forced air furnace for this winter, then this spring give geo thermal a whirl. Still have alot of research to do but will be warm this winter. Anyone have a tempstar furnace, any problems. I've read that United technologies is the parent company for Carrier and Tempstar, and they say they are similar.

As a helpful comment to those who may not understand the context within which the HVAC efficiency numbers are being referenced in this topic, references similar to:

"... HP is relatively affordable and doesn't drop below 100% efficiency ..."

do not mean that; for this example, 1 kW of energy supplied via the utility company to the HVAC system subsequently results in 1 kW of heat (or "cooling" in the opposite case).

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    a 2 stage blower will really help the power/gas bills