Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Da cure is coming

dont criticize researchers, well do any of you encourage them. email or call them and thank them for the latest breakthrough?

cr is not above criticism. yes he did a lot but i dont like his superman style. he is the leader but dont give his followers 2 minutes. if he is going to leads us he can at least come get our input. maybe send a representive to the forum twice a month.

If SCI research got as much money as the war on Iraq will cost (let alone some of the money wasted on the "War on Drugs"), we'd be cure a hell of a lot sooner.

my last point

Never mind Russia & China. Ask yourself this: Why is Australia & Portugal doing human OEG trials and there is NOTHING available here at home? Why are the Italians doing human peripheral nerve re-routing work? In contrast, our leading centre for curing Paralysis recently released a study that said "Schwann Cells are better than OEG". So are they going into human trials with Schwann cells? It's not even on their radar screen.

Think about it. Australia, Portugal & Italy are civilized and developed countries. They have their own version of FDA, have ethics committess, Institutional Review Boards and all that other shit AND have a fraction of the funding we have here. And they are moving ahead while we are stuck in a "Basic Research Forever" mentality.

And finally, let's look at Proneuron. And Israeli company that received full FDA approval for their trials to begin over 2 years ago and have now expanded INTO the US. Do you think their research budget is $100million/year?

Clearly it's not just a funding issue. There is a much bigger problem here.

I'm done with this issue.

[This message was edited by mkowalski99 on Nov 05, 2002 at 03:23 PM.]

I don't understand why the William H. Gates Foundation doesn't just pick up the tab? There is a substantial amount of money that has to be deferred into the foundation for tax purposes, why not fund the research? The Public Relations end of it alone would be worth 10 times what's needed. Imagine how popular old Bill Gates would be after having his name on every significant therapy that comes out of the research.

Then there are the financial benefits that would be tied to it all, just imagine how much more money you could make if you had inside info on companies that come out with cures (not to mention the hundreds of millions of dollars to invest in them). A whole new fortune could be made, along with creating a whole new industry (new money market).

If some of the major players in the SCI scene like CR, Wise Young and the men and women leading the way in research would all just team up, create a new entity. An entity that's focus is acquiring capital. Create a marketing plan that's structured to also be a tax write off, then approach guys like W. Gates, W. Buffet, P. Allen, the Waltons etc. Say " Look, here is where we stand with the research - These are the therapies / cures that exist, here are the therapies / cures that will come out of the research, - Here are the COSTS of getting these cures / therapies into the marketplace - and here are the RETURNS on your contributions". I think a lot of them will go for it.

car, been there done that.
    we ganged up on gates foundation a few years ago and they said sci wasn't important enough. however it doesn't hurt to try again.

Every group needs an or more leads yes. As the partners of this healthy forum of areas and different and distant countries, we needed people to begin to organize "Requests", "Below Signed" with the signature of all and to order for important institutions as the one of Bill Gates among others. Making this in an insistent and constant way, until that this rich and privileged community looks at our problem with the due attention.

It is they only say the e-mail or number of the fax that I will send my signature and of many other also.

I want to say that agree with Alan when he says of the expenses with the war. They are more than TEN BILLION DOLLARS, imagine all this money in Dr Young hand of here of this forum, or of Dra Erika Pessoa De Barros here of USP of Brazil where the researches are walking well... we would be cured in little time...

Thank you

Rebechi_Brasil

Gates? Do you want our cured cords to be as unreliable as Windows?

Alan, you are a joker. Actually the windows is not even any marvel, but already surrendered more than 60 BILLION DOLLARS for Bill Gates.
    My objective is Gate & Melinda Fundation, that can make generous donations for the researches.

By

Rebechi_Brasil

DA, like I had mentioned in my previous rant - we need some major players to put the pressure on. By no means am I discounting your efforts, at least you made the effort. I just don't think we can do it by ourselves, we need the right tools for the job. In my personal opinion celebrities are the perfect tools for the job, because the have the uncanny ability to influence society.

What we need a high powered, hard hitting team comprised of celebrities, sympathetic politicians and well know professionals to challenge these guys with the cash, and it has to be done in a way so everyone knows and hears about it. Let the media take it and blow it up! Once the pressure is on these guys and they're in the spotlight, they have nasty public relations issue to deal with, one where they have very few moves. A high profile public relations issues can be a strong influence on the decision making process.
    A perfect example of this just happened recently, remember when Mr. Bush made the decision limiting ESC research? His decision really didn't make any economic sense, as it forced research and development in this field over seas, causing a brain drain in North America and giving up a potentially huge market share - further slowing the U.S. economy. So why did he do it? Because he was the target in a high profile public relations issue, one that had a very large audience, not to mention: the celebrity kingpins involved (like the pope).

Instead of making fun of each other's opinions in here all of the time, we should all work together and do what ever little part we can do in organizing/ orchestrating something like this. Every little bit counts. If anything, it will build more awareness.

one big problem is the myth, oh if they tried they could walk

i think atleast 95% of the public hear and believe far fetched exagerated stories of recovery from spinal cord injury and consider anyone in a wchair as lazy & without will power.

to me its kind of like the media saying to the public: mr.x survived a heart attack because he was super tuff and had a strong will to live,,,, without mentioning mr.x had his heart attack in a hospital with 12 doctors on hand.

just imagine the human rights activist if all future prisoners were paralyzed instead of jailed? how many prisoners would beg for the death penalty?