Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for cracking shower chair cushion

Suggestions for cracking shower chair cushion

Our shower chair is about 6 years old and the cushion is starting to crack. Any ideas of how to arrest the cracking / fix it? Should I put duct tape on it? Photos:

wow! so glad you asked this..I noticed mine was cracked this am...I saw a commerical about some spray rubber like sealer on a infommercial..wish I remember the name..they used it to take a screen door and sprayed the screen and it was able to go in the water as a boat base!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

The duct tape will work for awhile but will eventually come off and leave behind sticky residue that is a pain to get off.

What brand and model of shower chair is it?

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    Our shower chair is about 6 years old and the cushion is starting to crack. Any ideas of how to arrest the cracking / fix it? Should I put duct tape on it? Photos:
    Hi Ami,
    I don't think I would feel comfortable doing a duct tape repair on a commode/shower chair for GJ. You just don't know what variables you are introducing with duct tap. Six years, after all, is a pretty good run for a commode/shower chair cushion. I would prefer to replace the cushion with a compatible one to the chair or go with a Roho overlay.

http://www.therohogroup.com/products...at_cushion.jsp

http://www.therohogroup.com/products...de_cushion.jsp

All the best,
    NL (GJ's wife and caregiver)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    What brand and model of shower chair is it?
    It just says "ActiveAid" on it, with a serial number, but no model number on it that I can see anywhere. I'm sure there was a model number on the paperwork when we bought it (out of pocket) but of course that paperwork is long gone.

Here is a photo of the whole thing (and I cannot figure out why it is turned sideways; it is turned correctly on my computer).

As for being a good run, we can't afford a new chair and probably not even a new cushion, so a cheap home remedy would be preferable if at all possible. (ETA: Chad has Medicare effective Aug 1 - does Medicare cover a shower chair? are their guidelines for getting one? he surely would meet such guidelines as a c4/5 complete (ASIA A))

I replaced a seat on my Activeaid (jtg-624) about five to six years ago and it seems it was around $150 for the seat, 4 phillips screws to take it off / put it on. I do my own pivot transfers and the cracks became a concern about scratching my skin.

I recently replaced entire shower chair as it was getting pretty well worn. Some rust, caster bearings shot and I was concerned about overall integrity of chair. I didn't want a weld to crack / break and leave me lying in twisted metal.

If you ever decide to replace it I found these folks to be lowest price on the net for model I was getting and free S&H.
    http://www.caremedicalsource.com/Brand/ActiveAid

From what I have experienced, "Medicare stops at the bathroom door". I have always understood they do not pay for any DME in bathroom but others may have different experience.

ETA : looking closely at pic of Chad's shower chair in, "picture fax viewer" it appears to be in good shape, structurally sound, no rust, etc. If I were going to replace anything out of pocket I think I would just do the seat. ( unless there are weak spots not visible in pic) good luck, ches
    Last edited by ChesBay; 10-23-2011 at 12:29 AM. Reason: eta: info

Perhaps an upholsterer or car seat place could do the job. For me, I would be concerned with a cracked seat just for the bacteria that will live in there.

I'd just replace it. Probably cost less money than several attempts to patch it.

ami -
    This chair looks very similar to the one I still have.
    Try calling the company; given the serial number they should tell you what the model number is, and at least give you a price for a new cushion.
    Their phone number is shown on ours as 1-800-533-5330.
    I'd worry that a cracked cushion might cause a skin pinch or even a tear.
    - Richard