Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medicine for dyreflexia

My previous neuro-urologist didn't feel comfortable prescribing Procardia capsules for me either and the only time I had AD was kidney related. I suggested nitro paste and he didn't have experience using that. I asked my neuro and he knew we took 14 day cruises so had no problems with prescribing procardia. Surprised me when I got a script for 30 of the crunch and swallow 10mgs although he suggested bite and slowly suck the liquid out. But he also prescribed 30mg Procardia LA. I took it that was in case we were on the water between 2 countries without the best SCI docs around. That was 3 years or so ago and haven't needed either and got a new immediate use refill of 10 capsules. I'll try and remember to take the 30mgs in to my new uro to get rid of for me.

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    I had the same response from my PCP that you got from that ER doc, IamBlessed, and as a result, made this post asking for links to literature that specifically mentions the importance of keeping either chewable nifedipine or nitro paste on hand to prevent stroking out if you're unable to get to the ER in time.

The PVA guides are good, but neither mention the medications by name. That's what I need to convince my doctor that prescribing something to lower the dangerously high blood pressures that occur during my bouts of AD.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Instead of using the procardia capsules, another option is 1/2" of nitropaste. The advantage of this over the procardia is that once you find the cause or remove it, you can remove the nitropaste lessening the effects of the medication.
    CKF

My GP does not like me taking Procardia even though I have script because it lowers my BP too much.I . My AD is usually due to bladder spasms. I take Loritab when BP goes over 160/90 which relaxes bladder and eases spasms which causes BP to drop but not plunge to dangerously low levels.

That is a great solution for your AD caused by bladder spasticity. Have they ever figured out what causes the spasms? And what do you do if it is not from your bladder.
    CKF

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    That is a great solution for your AD caused by bladder spasticity. Have they ever figured out what causes the spasms? And what do you do if it is not from your bladder.
    CKF
    I have scar tissue in my bladder from spincterotomy.Also had rectum removed which exacerbated the problem. My bladder does not spasm constantly but muscles around it have alot of tone.I'm C/8-T/1 quad.
    Neurosurgeon told me 99% of AD is caused by bowel or bladder problems.

I've had pain sweats from broken leg that responded to pain meds. I can have pain sweats w/o elevated blood pressure.

So I finally tried the procardia and it didn't even come close to making my bp drop too low, but it also didn't help my AD much either. What did help however, is the Loretab. It didn't stop it, but it helps some.

Quote Originally Posted by IamBlessed View Post
    So I finally tried the procardia and it didn't even come close to making my bp drop too low, but it also didn't help my AD much either. What did help however, is the Loretab. It didn't stop it, but it helps some.
    I suspect you are getting pain from UTI or blocked tubing. Any stones? Try increasing Loritab. Are your bowels emptying?

I take back what I said, the procardia plus the Loritab work best together.