Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medicine for dyreflexia

Medicine for dyreflexia

Ok, so I've got a bladder infection again because I skimped on drinking my water this week. This isn't my first time going through this, so I know that all I have to do is take my antibiotic and drink lots of water/cranberry juice. But the part that sucks is that I stay dysreflexic for the first 3 days. So I looked up dysreflexia and saw that there may be some medicine I could take for it. Does anybody know anything about any kind of medicine for dysreflexia?

Here's what the site said

"Immediate/emergent
    Procardia - 10 mg. p.o./sublingual
    Nitroglycerine - 1/150 sublingual or 1/2 inch Nitropaste topically
    Clonidine - 0.1 to 0.2 mg. p.o.
    Hydralazine - 10 to 20 mg. IM/IV

Chronic (recurrent episode prevention)
    Prazosin ("Minipress") - 0.5 to 1.0 mg. daily
    Clonidine ("Catapres") - 0.2 mg. p.o. b.i.d. "

http://www.spinal-injury.net/autonomic-dysreflexia.htm

Also, I wanted to say that I have a C5 injury and a suprapublic catheter

As long as you know the cause of the AD and are treating that appropriately, medications can be used to control the high blood pressure. These may also decrease other symptoms. Of course all of these require a provider's prescription to obtain, which may be problematic on a weekend.

Not sure what resource you are using, but we have known since the early 1990s that Procardia (nifedipine) is actually more effective if chewed and swallowed vs. being taken sublingually. If we give it for something like a UTI, and the BP is not severely elevated, we just have our clients swallow the capsules intact.

If bladder spasm (often the cause during a UTI) is the known cause, the B&O suppositories (belladona & opium) can also be helpful. These are not only a prescription item, but a controlled drug, so require a written (not phoned in) prescription to obtain.

It is rarely appropriate to use IV medication for this unless you are unable to take anything orally, and caution should be taken in being sure that you don't drop your blood pressure too low. Medications alone should NOT be used for AD symptoms without treating the initial cause, which in itself may be dangerous.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Not sure what resource you are using, but we have known since the early 1990s that Procardia (nifedipine) is actually more effective if chewed and swallowed vs. being taken sublingually. If we give it for something like a UTI, and the BP is not severely elevated, we just have our clients swallow the capsules intact.

(KLD)
    That is good to know because it counters the information from the 1980s. Over the last couple of weeks I've heard several different accounts. Thanks for clearing that up KLD

If you want something that will help you not get a bladder infection try a product D-Mannose by a company called NOW try this link and it will tell you about the product. http://nowfoods.com/Products/Product...lty%20Formulas

I have been taking it for the last three years and have not gotten a bladder infection and have gone 12 hours without cathing IC (this happens by accident it is not done on purpose) the stuff is amazing and it has no side effects that I can tell at all.

This is how I understand it works: It is a plant based sugar (I have diabetes and it does not affect it at all) and your body can only absorb so much and the rest gets flushed through your urine an in that process the bacteria attaches it self to the D-Mannose instead of your bladder wall and is flushed out of the body and the results are no bladder infection. I am telling you it works their have been many times I should have gotten an infection and I did not. When you try it you have to give it some time to get into your body and working. It is 100 times better then cranberry pills and cranberry juice is all sugar unless you get 100% pure cranberry juice.

I get mine at Vitamin Cottage but you can get it on-line get the 500mg capsules and I take 1 capsule three times a day.

It will not get rid of an infection but it will prevent you from getting one.

I don't sell it and I don't work for the company, I just use it.

Stevie P

Thanks for all the answers! I'll see what I can do about it getting something now, and I'll also check out D-Mannose for later.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    (KLD)
    I know it's been a year since I posted this thread but here I am again.

I got another bladder infection and I've already started antibiotics, but even on antibiotics I still stay dysreflexic for the first 2 or 3 days.

So last night I went to the ER to see if the doctor would give me some procardia to stop/help me with the dysreflexia, but she wouldn't give it to me because she was afraid that it would drop my blood pressure too low when the dysreflexia went away.

My blood pressure normally runs around 100 over something, but when I'm dysreflexic it's like 175/190 over 130.

The way the attacks work is that, I'm fine for aout 10-15 minutes and then i'm dysreflexic for 3-5 minutes.

Is there a threat of my blood pressure going too low on procardia? How much have you used that drug to help people with dysreflexia?

Quote Originally Posted by IamBlessed View Post
    I know it's been a year since I posted this thread but here I am again.

I got another bladder infection and I've already started antibiotics, but even on antibiotics I still stay dysreflexic for the first 2 or 3 days.

So last night I went to the ER to see if the doctor would give me some procardia to stop/help me with the dysreflexia, but she wouldn't give it to me because she was afraid that it would drop my blood pressure too low when the dysreflexia went away.

My blood pressure normally runs around 100 over something, but when I'm dysreflexic it's like 175/190 over 130.

The way the attacks work is that, I'm fine for aout 10-15 minutes and then i'm dysreflexic for 3-5 minutes.

Is there a threat of my blood pressure going too low on procardia? How much have you used that drug to help people with dysreflexia?
    Have you been checked for bladder stones?

This last year when I went back to my rehab for my yearly check up, (I go every year) they found two bladder stones one the size of a thumb nail (a man size thumb nail) and one the size of his pinky nail. The thing is that I felt like I had a bladder infection with dysreflexia. but since I have been taking D-Mannose I knew that it had to be something else. It had taken a year to actually grow three stones (one came out, it was stuck in the end of the catheter. A stone can make your urin cloudy and smelly just like an infection and antibiotic will clear it up and it will come right back

Quote Originally Posted by StevieP View Post
    Have you been checked for bladder stones?

This last year when I went back to my rehab for my yearly check up, (I go every year) they found two bladder stones one the size of a thumb nail (a man size thumb nail) and one the size of his pinky nail. The thing is that I felt like I had a bladder infection with dysreflexia. but since I have been taking D-Mannose I knew that it had to be something else. It had taken a year to actually grow three stones (one came out, it was stuck in the end of the catheter. A stone can make your urin cloudy and smelly just like an infection and antibiotic will clear it up and it will come right back
    Hi "StevieP",
    It is great you have had such good luck while taking D-Mannose. But, just for the sake of clarity, it should be mentioned that D-Mannose is only effective for urinary tract infections (UTI) caused by e. coli bacteria. E-coli bacteria are responsible for about 90% of all UTI. Other bacteria, i.e., Staphylococcus, Enterobacter, Klebsiella, Serratia, Proteus, Rseudomonas, and Streptococcus can be the cause a UTI even if you are taking D-mannose.

All the best,
    GJ

I had the same response from my PCP that you got from that ER doc, IamBlessed, and as a result, made this post asking for links to literature that specifically mentions the importance of keeping either chewable nifedipine or nitro paste on hand to prevent stroking out if you're unable to get to the ER in time.

The PVA guides are good, but neither mention the medications by name. That's what I need to convince my doctor that prescribing something to lower the dangerously high blood pressures that occur during my bouts of AD.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar