Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm a quad, and I need advice on living at home.

I have recently had to research solutions for my parents, who are aging and will probably need help soon. These days, there are many more options than just nursing homes. The independent living complexes that I've seen in this area are really nice. Each person has their own apartment and the bathrooms are nicely set up for wheelchair use. Many of the complexes also have community areas, workshops, sewing rooms, that sort of thing.

There are various levels of care that can be arranged with these living situations.

I'm a para but am very attuned to mobility needs since my injury. I've also had to watch out for places that would work for my dad since he has trouble getting around.

It might be worth it to check into places in your area, just to understand what is available, the pricing and decide if it's something that would suit you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RuPE...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsW0x9WhoOY

Heres some vids, I like the girl in the first video because she is adorable. The second video is a lady who shows what she did to adapt things for her.
    they both have more video's up, If you like, I can find more. If I were in your shoes, I might adapt the house, and get disabled roomie to rent the extra room. That would help you pay for care, or maybe a cleaning lady. You may be able to get a grant to help adapt your home for you.
    Last edited by jody; 08-12-2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: added another video

People who live in the US NEED to have a social worker.They have ALL the contacts...NEVER wait untill the last minute,if you do you will most likely end up in a nursing home.There is a 4 year waiting list for an access. apt where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RuPE...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsW0x9WhoOY

Heres some vids, I like the girl in the first video because she is adorable. The second video is a lady who shows what she did to adapt things for her.
    they both have more video's up, If you like, I can find more. If I were in your shoes, I might adapt the house, and get disabled roomie to rent the extra room. That would help you pay for care, or maybe a cleaning lady. You may be able to get a grant to help adapt your home for you.
    she is adorable dang she is a higher lever than i am and a lot more handy she rocks

If you have funds also check with gettiing a supplemental trust so should you require Mediciaid down the road you don't lose your house and income.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I am a quad and live by myself. The government provides attendants to help me for 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening. She leaves at 10pm and I spend the night in bed until another comes in a 8am. Chance of problems are small as long as someone showes up.

Cheaper than gov paying for NH.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

i'm c4/5 compltete and have been living alone many years. run some ad's, do some back ground checks on them, mine come 3 times daily, i am by myself at night, become close friends with nieghbors, voice activated phone.

it's tough but doable.
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

I am now living on my own. I found help through a home health agency.

When spouse feels he tired of dealing with disability, but still loves you
    I am a quad level C6, married 30 years, in chair for 24 years. Is there any other couples that are experiencing struggles as to my disability after all the years of being married. We have overcome so many obstacles and challenges in our lives together. He is sometimes feeling he is done with the dealing with the disability. He has also been my part time cae giver. He still loves me very much but is at a point where he is wondering "what about me" Can he continue living with me and all the barriers for the rest of his life? He misses the able bodied me and still wishes he could do things with me together that we used to do. He has chosen not to do things because I can't experience it with him. He says he doesn't resent me in any way. But he does resent the chair "said our therapist". How can I help him. He is so torn he feels he is damned if he leaves and damned if he stays. If anyone can help or your spouse has gone or is going through this we really need help.

Quote Originally Posted by Willyg View Post
    I am now living on my own. I found help through a home health agency.
    Great!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.