Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For profit company "advertising" on CareCure

For profit company "advertising" on CareCure

This web site has the most comprehensive source of SCI information you can get on the web. If it isn´t here, there is a link to it or a virtual mouth ready to give you the info that you need or at least a suggestion.

There are some people who are using this site, in my opinion, as a free spring board to foward their business aims. I think this option was tolerated under the Cando.com forum because their really was no choice in the matter. But now since Rutgers is running the show, and is a non-profit organisation, shouldn´t commercial entities, or reps of such entities, be restricted from posting on a site such as CareCure?

I´ll single out Project Walk. Granted, some may be helped from their therapy. But the company is a for-profit organisation. They have a website, and that website also has a forum section where people can talk about the Project Walk experience. Why grandstand on CareCure? Why do "members" need to post Business Wire articles showcasing that business in such a "promising" light?

Then comes Dragon´s Way. New posters out of Timbuktu praising the benificial ways and means of a for profit company.

Strange, I wonder why I´m not getting bombarded on this forum from new posters from the Roho company, or from the makers of Uppertone. Perhaps they are not on the ball??

Many people here post links. Few however, post links highlighting for profit, SCI recovery methods or schemes, with the exception of those who may be involved financially. There are exceptions, but the main jist of this post is to raise the issue of for profit companys taking advertising advantage of a non-profit organisations SCI forum.

Perhaps some concrete answers from the moderators and administrators of this site could address this. Personally, a link to Project Walk, Dragon´s Way or any other for profit company under an "alternative therapy" section of the links page would be tolerable. But the suedo advertising posts need some fast deep sixing.

Whoa Mike, You're way off.

Noone here is promoting, advertising, endorsing or has a financial relationship or interest that I know of with any of the myriad of therapies for sci recovery or a 'cure' that are or have been discussed here.

This is an information website which offers the opportunity to discuss, banter, provide opinions and share personal experiences of what's available to the sci community. For many, without this site, the majority of clinical trials, experimental surgeries, drugs, and research would be unknown.

The goal of CareCure is to share information and experience not to support any particular therapy. There are no member fees, the moderators are full-time unpaid volunteers and there is no financial (advertising or other commercial ventures) support.

Simply Mike we are a community trying to heal from our injuries. There is strength in knowledge and knowledge is power. Furthermore, the personal experiences of me (for example - Project Walk) and others is just that - personal experience and sharing that experience so that others can make informed decisions.

Btw, speaking from experience, Project Walk although not a 501(c)3 organization is not the next Microsoft either. Noone's getting rich, believe me. Or better yet, go check them out.

Ultimately, however, if it or anything like Dragon's Way for example worked shouldn't the founders or inventors be entitled to make money?
    Capitalism abounds in every community. Altruism is rare.

Again, to repeat, no promoting, advertising, endorsing or financial incentives are being offered, submitted or granted. Simply, we are sharing information.

Thanks for your concern and support.

Onward and Upward!

Sorry Chris,

I would like to hear more moderators and administrators opinions on this matter, such as Jeff, Sue, Seneca, Bill J and others, as well as Wise if at all possible. I´ll respect your opinion of course, and put it into the "Pro capitalism" catagory.

BTW, I´ve been registered here a whole 6 days longer than you (lol) so I get the jist about what CareCure is all about.

And I do agree that no one who operates this site, be it Rutgers, Wise, Jeff or any other administrator or moderator for that matter is advertising for any product. Discussing how a product or service works or operates is fine, however I very well do see evidence, that some members truly are using this forum to make sure that the for profit company they work for, remains at the center of attention.

[This message was edited by Mike C on Oct 28, 2002 at 03:30 PM.]

Sorry Mike, your arrogance "I've been here six days longer than you" is pathetic. Grow up.

Yes, I'm pro cure and doing something about it.

If capitalism is a byproduct so be it.

So, besides knocking things you're only speculating about what else do you have to offer?

Nothing, I thought so.

Onward and Upward!

Originally posted by Chris:

"This is an information website which offers the opportunity to discuss, banter, provide opinions and share personal experiences of what's available to the sci community. For many, without this site, the majority of clinical trials, experimental surgeries, drugs, and research would be unknown.

The goal of CareCure is to share information and experience not to support any particular therapy. There are no member fees, the moderators are full-time unpaid volunteers and there is no financial (advertising or other commercial ventures) support.

Simply Mike we are a community trying to heal from our injuries."

No need for a hissy fit Chris. I made my statement because it seems you were trying to tell me all about CareCure, it´s goals and mission because I didn´t know. And if I throw a lol and a smily wink at you, don´t take it so personal.

Mike C

I would like to disagree with you on this one...

I think nobody trying to advertize directly here, remeber when article about MacDonald came up, inevitably people from eletrologic came to explain about their bike...Same happen with laserpuncure,PW and DW.

I also would like to point out that even mainstream therapies, be it Cheng, Russians are for profit (unforunately)-but its nature of capitalism...

I don't see any reason to move alternatives to separate forum

Respectfully,

Max

==============================
    "Those who seek to predict the future... might first look to the past. The past is a mirror -- and those who ignore its sometimes dark reflection, are doomed to repeat it... Will it be those seeking redemption who shall decide the future... or will those driven only by greed and envy shape our destiny? Even a hundred years later, the outcome is still very much in doubt. .." Outer Limits(Heart's Desire)

I'm confused.

Mike, comments questioning the validity of Vanderbilt's CM101 SCI results were made on Spinewire, leading to their lead researcher coming online to defend his work. This researcher owns a company formed to develop the product. I assume he hoped to someday make a profit.

Stephane Woerly visited Cando.com to defend Neurogel, the primary product of Organogel, his for-profit company.

Dr. Mark Tuszenski appeared online to explain his gene therapy development, another patented process. The list goes on...

And for that matter, why limit your concerns to comments posted by those with financial interests in the subject in question? Why not exclude researchers with professional interests, or political interests, or whose careers might be at stake?

What's the difference? Either the info is valid of it's not. Either we read it or not. Personally, I didn't pay attention to Cando.com's advertisements offering wheelchair tires and portapotties, but neither did I suggest others shouldn't have the right to read them themselves. Perhaps we shouldn't visit Pubmed either, because much of its content presents research funded by companies or conducted by researchers with financial interests in the work they present? Perhaps companies like BLSI, ProNeuron, or NeoTherapeutics should not allow press releases for Inosine, activated macrophages, or AIT-082 to be posted on this site?

Where's the beef?

James Kelly

Sorry Mike

I respectfully disagree with your philosophy. How is it possible for the SCI community to peruse through, digest, and subsequently draw a conclusion on a specific type of treatment, therapy, and/or service? I have no qualms with a website link tackfully integrated into a Care-Cure thread.

I don´t believe it wrong if a researcher, or developer of a product or service, comes to this forum to discuss it´s advantages to the SCI community. And I would also say that a debate on any product or therapy for that matter is equally welcome.

I do think however, that PW is using this forum, and others like it, for it´s own advantage. If people go to PW, and report back on CareCure about it´s sucesses or failures, I say it´s great. If employees from PW participate in the discussions to offer more information, well that´s OK too.

But if employees are coming here often to plug their company, let´s say for example by posting Business Wire posts reflecting their world wide leading status in the SCI recovery arena, then I consider it advertising. Here, as well as at other sites, gather the focus of their business efforts. Their aim is to expand and grow and to make money doing it. Rutgers pays for this site, and PW gets free advertising on the cheap.

Now if Max wants to cut and paste that Business Wire post on his own, well that´s up to him...he can do it all over the net and I´m sure PW would be happy for it.

All I want to know is, and yes it may be of a trivial matter to some, where is the boarderline. I tried looked up the rules for this site and came up with this statement: "Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate in this community."

That´s my beef.

[This message was edited by Mike C on Oct 28, 2002 at 05:53 PM.]

Yes Mike C.

You revealed my hidden agenda:

-I am posting info & befriend researchers just because I love discounts & kickbacks

Thats why I always kiss butt of "Master of the Board in USA"

==============================
    "Those who seek to predict the future... might first look to the past. The past is a mirror -- and those who ignore its sometimes dark reflection, are doomed to repeat it... Will it be those seeking redemption who shall decide the future... or will those driven only by greed and envy shape our destiny? Even a hundred years later, the outcome is still very much in doubt. .." Outer Limits(Heart's Desire)