Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When all the accessible theater seats are taken..?

When all the accessible theater seats are taken..?

I have had several occasions where all the accessible seats were taken at a movie theater. I have yet to see another person in a wheelchair, but I still feel like a jerk when I have to ask someone to move. I realize there are lots of disabilities, but it seems to me that if you are physically capable of sitting in a regular seat, then you should. What do you guys think? How do you approach this situation?

Shouldn't ushers take care of that? Movie theaters still have ushers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Shouldn't ushers take care of that? Movie theaters still have ushers?

Hah, I wish!

We have this problem frequently when we go to see the Met in HD transmissions. The audience for opera is considerably older (greyer, more disabled) than the standard movie audience. We go out and fetch a manager to resolve issues that arise over who gets the accessible seats.

I never sit in the theater chairs. I just sit next to my husband in the accessible seating area (cut out areas for wheelchairs). We've only had one instance where the seating was full and an old couple vounteered to move for us. The theaters near us are all new and have plenty of accessible seating. It could be the time that we go also....We never go during typical date night hours when it's packed. I'm sure it could be a problem during those hours.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by BoyFallDown View Post
    I still feel like a jerk when I have to ask someone to move.
    Don't feel bad. They're the jerk.

Just ask nicely. "Would you mind moving so I can use this seat?"

Yes just ask nicely and if they give you any problem just nicely tell them you are sorry to have bothered them and you will find the manager to assist you in finding a seat. I have the office number of the theater in my phone and would just call and tell them which theater I are in and I need help finding a seat. Have not had to do this yet but it also comes in handy if there are tech problems to report when the trailers/movie starts. People like the leg room and the extra space and if I or someone that really needs them is not there I think it is fine for people to sit there. They just need to be ready to move when someone that really needs them comes in.

not saying this flippantly, but arriving 15-20 minutes early works for me. there are usually only a few of those seats so i make an effort to be first to get to them.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    not saying this flippantly, but arriving 15-20 minutes early works for me. there are usually only a few of those seats so i make an effort to be first to get to them.
    That's reasonable, I think I'll try to do that from now on.

Yes the getting there early is a good idea. But let me ask you this, if you've yet to see another person in wheelchair how could the accessable seats be taken? I mean at the thearters I've been to, there is area with no seats for wheelchairs, if there was not a wheelchair taking up the spot what was?
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred