Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NINTS - Blow by Blow

Great information. I don't know how to express how much this means to the sci community to get the feedback from the meetings so soon. I think we would be 10 years behind if it weren't for Wise Youngs efforts and support of sci cure. A very good point was presented regarding how the sci community defines a "cure", and with that in mind, researchers should push harder with the expectation that even to regain some sensation, or to empty your bowels and bladder on your own, or get relief from pain, would make it all worthwhile. Just find a way to stimulate the nerve growth and let the individuals make the most of it. Again, thanks so much for your undying perserverence.

Thanks Dr. Young and Mike, here's the link to Kim's survey:

http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16722

Good Information. Thank you Dr. Young.

Thank you so much Dr. Young. I don't know what we would do without you. Great information.

Deb

Great work Wise. Always a wealth of information and communicated so it is easily understood.
    Andrew

Dr. Young:

Was Dr. Doucette's work with OEGs conducted on acute or subacute injuries? Can you give us its details, or post his abstract from the conference (if one has been submitted)?

Regarding Dr. Strittmatter's report: Am I correct in understanding the Nogo receptor is responsible for damaged axons receiving inhibitory cues from Nogo, MAG, and CSPG? Also, is he saying that blocking this receptor initiates spontaneous axon growth able to navigate the chronically injured cord? Do you know how close he is to clinically testing this method? If he has an abstract, could you post it also?

Thank you for these reports!

James Kelly

[This message was edited by James Kelly on Oct 30, 2002 at 11:16 AM.]

I was glad to read in Wise's post about the two spinal cord injured researchers, and thankful there are at least two that actually live as an sci person and knows first hand what it is like to be sci or wheelchair dependent. The worst part is to always feel like a duck out of water in a crowd or at a social event. Seems like your always the only one there in a wheelchair, and it is very hard to circulate with the crowd and feel like a normal human being. Ever notice when your in a store with an able body person, the clerk will always address the able body person, like you don't have a brain or something ? So, I guess it will be really important to be freed of the wheelchair, when we go to talking about what one expects from a cure therapy. We need to be mobile, that would be the ultimate goal, to live our lives with the freedom walking gives us, but just give us the hope by providing a therapy within a reasonable time frame. The 2 to 5 years that I have been hearing the past 25 years has got to stop.

Jim, unfortunately, there were no abstracts provided and they are changing posters too quickly to take detailed notes. Most of the studies will probably be published in the next few months. I asked and many people said that they were submitting the papers.

Doucette's study, if I remember, was on acute injuries. Strittmatter's report suggested that the Nogo receptor may well be the detector for all the different known inhibitors, including MAG, MGP, Nogo, and CSPG. The demonstration that Nogo knockout mice spontaneously regenerate also is important because it suggests that it is the key inhibitor. In terms of testing in humans, I think that Strittmatter is working closely with Biogen to develop Nogo receptor blockers.

Wise.

Dr. Young, it's not Biogen but Migragen & Morphochem (http://www.morphochem.de & http://www.migragen.de).

Best regards,

Joe

Joe, I am in close contact with both the Migragen and Biogen people. I initially thought that Migragen is doing the Nogo receptor blocker. They are not. Biogen is doing most of that. Wise.