Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk of Magnesia Question

Milk of Magnesia Question

I had hernia surgery Wed - was home by noon. Yesterday morning after eating breakfast there was a lot of rumbling in my stomach and so I thought to help move things along I would take MoM. Nothing happened - its been 24 hours now and no bowel movement. It says on the bottle that you shouldn't take MoM again if there is no BM after taking it the first time. I'm concerned about straining to go - thought the MoM would help. Can/should I take MoM again since it didn't work the first time?

Thanks for any advice - I took hydrocodene Wed afternoon and every 6 hours yesterday. I'm hoping not to take any today- they pain is down significantly - but know that hydrocodene can cause constipation.

Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Here's what I found: http://pain.emedtv.com/hydrocodone-a...stipation.html

I don't think more MoM would hurt you at all. You just don't use it regularly as it blocks your body's absorption of folic acid and iron according to Wikipedia and I don't think that's a good thing. I'll use mineral oil sometimes, but not on a daily basis for this reason.

I assume you are not taking Imodium or any other constipating medications at this time. The amount of opioid you are taking can be very constipating. I would add senna (Senakot 2 tablets twice daily) and change from MOM to Miralax. Take this every 6-8 hours until you have a good BM. Also, add a stool softener (Colace or generic DSS 1000 mg. daily) and keep taking this and the senna as long as you are taking the opioids. Keep eating and taking lots of fluids too, and stay as physically active as possible.

(KLD)

KLD and Le Type - thanks for the reply. I'm not taking imodium or any other constipating meds. I have been taking 3 Fibercon tablets and 500 mg of colace daily before the operation and took some Wed and back to usual dosage yesterday. I'll send my wife to the drugstore for Miralax and Senna. I brought the constipation subject up with my doc before the surgery hoping he would prescribe something. He told me to take anything over the counter - MOM or Dulcalox - so that's what I added. Should I keep taking Fibercon? I haven't been eating too much for breakfast or lunch but have been eating good dinners - chicken, potatoes, green beans. I hope not to take the opiods any further but will take this until I have a good BM with no straining. Mike

kld, hope you are still there. my wife just got back with the laxatives and i pooped my pants. but it isn't really poop, it's more like a brown sludge and there isn't a lot. I sat on the toilet for a while but nothing big seems to be there - but it's like i'm leaking now - the brown sludge doesn't stop. i'm laying in bed now - i hope you have advice for what i should do - a laxative doesn't sound right now but i still haven't had a BM. Thanks so much for your help.

I'm sorry. Heal fast. A bad day nearly always involves shit, in my life, so I feel ya.

Mike, is this liquid stool, or is it mucous? If it is mucous, it is a sign of impaction and you do need to continue to take the laxative. If it is actually stool, then stop the laxatives but continue the senna and Colace and go back to doing your regular bowel care. If the loose stools continue, you may have to get a c. dif. test done.

(KLD)

kld, i think it is stool - it is a real dark color and not liquid - more like sludge. i've had cdiff before and so far i haven't had the cramps that i had last time i had it. i'll take the senna and colasce and hope that it helps. right now i'm afraid to put clothes on and stand up - hate for the mess to continue. I'll keep checking and hope that the flow stops. Thanks again - i wouldn't know what to do without your help.

Hope you get better quick Mike!!!! My wife had surgery last wednesday and finally just had a bowel movement this afternoon, seems like it shuts down them when you have surgery.

Thanks Doug -hope your wife is doing well. Did she go a week and 2 days without a BM? I would think that would have had you all worried.

Hope the nurse, KLD, is still reading. We went to the emergency room yesterday - went to a walk in clinic first hoping they could test for cdiff. They told us they couldn't since it was after 4 pm on a Fri and the lab was closed. Told us to go to the emergency room in case it was a virus or cdiff and I'd just had surgery. At the ER they checked for cdiff, also checked my blood and urine and said everything was good - no cdiff. Doc told me to try to let the diarrhea run its course (he thinks that my system is just over-reacting to being shut down by the surgery and pain pills) but also wrote a prescription for Imodium. Do you think I should take Imodium? My symptoms are still the same this morning - the nurse called my poop 'paste' but said it's definitely poop - not muscus. Again, I appreciate your help - I want this to end but don't want to lock up my intestines either. I had a banana and toast for breakfast (and took a fibercon) and am trying to eat binding foods.

Mike