Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Word from Dr. Lima

A Word from Dr. Lima

Dear Allen:

A publication now must be done on preliminary results, since the study is going and we are optimizing the technique. So we are preparing a publication on a SCI magazine for the moment.
    What I can tell you is that we have positive results in ALL patients . However just an exceptional evolution of a patient , like walking again, without any help would justify , in my opinion , a preliminary publication, now.
    Of course that I will support such a petition. However I must remind you that with our method we furnished not just OECs but also stem cells, Schwann cell, etc.
    I am trying at this precise moment to " push" such clinical trials in USA , with a group of USA scientists, clinics, and SCI interested people.

PS: How the hell do you have an MRI from one of my patients at your site :> ).

Best regards

Carlos Lima, MD

Dear Sir,

Perhaps you remember me. My name is Allen Krupar. I have written to you a couple of times about your very exciting research with OEG. I understand you are getting ready to publish. I am very interested in your work. In fact, the potential of OEG influenced me to begin a petition to move OEG into human clinical trials in the United States and around the world. You might be interested to visit my website: http://members.cox.net/oegpetition/index.htm (you're a regular topic of conversation there)

Your input would be highly valued. In fact, if you have a statement of any sort that you would like to make, it would be greatly appreciated. For example, I'm sure many people would like to know when exactly you are going to publish and in which journal.
    Information about the progress you are making in Portugal would be very exciting.

Thank you very much for the work you are doing and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Allen Krupar
    e-mail: oegpetition@cox.net
    web site: http://members.cox.net/oegpetition/index.htm

A Word from Dr. Lima

One of the members of our mailing list have just forwarded to me an answer of Dr Lima and I think it will interest everyone....
    So, here it is...!

Marie-Joëlle
    http://wwww.paratetra.net
    mailing list :http://fr.groups.yahoo.com/group/paratetra
    --------------------------------------------
    Dear Mr. Surace:

As I promised some months ago I com to update you with the actual sate of our clinical trail.

We have performed surgery in 7 patients ( the last 10 days ago)

Except for one ( that have 2 cavities and we just fill one) all have some sort of positive recovery (sensoria and motor) The worst is a patient with 6 cms of lesion and in fact we are concluding that his method should apply to less than 2 to 3 cms cavities. The best is a girl with more than 4 years of lesion , operated 3 months ago and that have voluntary control in almost all the leg muscles but with little strenght ( 1 and 2) that we trying to understand and improve .
    I am trying to forward this method in USA and already have cooperation with some centers there. We already prove it is a very safe and feasible approach to SCI patients.

So, that´s all for the moment

Best regards

Carlos Lima, MD

What a Rush!!!!

What a Rush!!!

Tell everybody about The OEG Petition. It's going international very soon!

Check-in often: http://members.cox.net/oegpetition/index.htm

Allen Krupar
    e-mail: oegpetition@cox.net
    web site: http://members.cox.net/oegpetition/index.htm

Thanks Al and MJKL.

Al Bundy:
    What a Rush!!!

Tell everybody about The OEG Petition. It's going international very so
    Be sure that's already done for Europe....!!!

Marie-Joëlle

Al ............

Dr. Lima will be spending some time with Will
    Ambler's group in November. This is a snowball
    that will pick up speed very rapidly.It would be
    interesting to know whereelse Dr. Lima will
    be visiting in the U.S.???Possibly Miami???

Thanks Al and MJKL for keeping us updated! The results sound very encouraging so far.

I have some additional info.The recovery of the woman with the most progress is very quickly(at least within 3 months, maybe already earlier) but she was T8.The last patient they've operated was 6,5 years post and 32 year old.So they are very curious how much he will recover because he is the oldest person(they said that the younger the more and better cells are available in the mucosa) and has the oldest injury from all patients so far.And all patients, except one, were complete injuries.

[This message was edited by pecla on Oct 27, 2002 at 10:58 PM.]

Mr. Bundy:

Do you understand the difference between OEGs and Olfactory Mucosa? Dr. Lima stressed the difference, but you continue pointing to his results with mucosa as justification for conducting an OEG-only clinical trial. Therefore, some might support such a trial expecting benefits (and results) similar to reports of olfactory mucosa usage in animals and humans (such as Dr. Lima's results to date). Your presentation of these avenues unintentionally suggests the two are the same, or the benefits of one are available through the other, which is far from being the case. The misrepresentation of Dr. Lima's valuable work is not fair to him, and it's not the best interests of the SCI Community you hope to help.

By all means promote an OEG clinical trial, or better yet, promote a fully-informed, well-run olfactory mucosa trial, or do both. But please don't confuse the two.

Btw, your determination, energy, and creativity are an inspiration!

James Kelly

difference between OEG's and olfactory mucosa ?

James Kelly , i am not a highly educated SCI research advocate like you . could you please explain to me the difference between OEG's and olfactory mucosa . in my limited understanding of the subject i thought OEG [olfactory ensheathing glial] cells were the name of the cells used in the proceedure and that the mucosa was one of the places these cells were sourced from . part of a post from DR. Young quote ''The major issue that must be resolved is the source of OEG for transplantation. Several sources have been demonstrated to be feasible: adult olfactory bulb (autograft), adult olfactory mucosa (autograft), fetal olfactory bulb (heterograft), human cadaver olfactory bulb (herograft), and porcine fetal olfactory bulb (xenograft). ''unquote . to the best of my knowledge for the OEG trial in Brisbane mucosa was the source of OEG's used there .reading Dr. Limas post i interpret what he is saying to mean he is using other cells [stem cells and Schwann cells ] in a cocktail containing OEG's .no where do i see him mention mucosa.

thank you
    dogger

[This message was edited by dogger on Oct 28, 2002 at 03:49 AM.]