Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Had a guy guess right how I got SCI today at a chinese buffet

  1. #11
    Hi Gang
    It happened to me a few times
    Motorcycles are a very big part of my life .

    I prefer to just think of it as a MVA instead of labeling

  2. #12
    Senior Member DaleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    5,408
    Quote Originally Posted by GL View Post
    Hi Gang
    It happened to me a few times
    Motorcycles are a very big part of my life .

    I prefer to just think of it as a MVA instead of labeling
    I agree. I was on a motorcycle, yes, but it was a car that broke my back. Damn cars, do more damage to people than bikes do. I consider most bike vs car MVAs to be car crashes, because it is typically the car doing the crashing into the bike. Motorcycles can hurt their riders, true, but that's about as much damage as they can do. Cars suck. Massive, indiscriminate killers of men, women and children.
    __________________

    He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I agree. I was on a motorcycle, yes, but it was a car that broke my back. Damn cars, do more damage to people than bikes do. I consider most bike vs car MVAs to be car crashes, because it is typically the car doing the crashing into the bike. Motorcycles can hurt their riders, true, but that's about as much damage as they can do. Cars suck. Massive, indiscriminate killers of men, women and children.
    I hear what your saying but a person has to look out for themself and riding a street bike is not doing so. I would never ever ride a street bike again, way too risky. Somebody runs a light and piles into you, you don't stand a chance, at least when your in a car you got something around you. I really should have just stuck to dirt bikes and stayed away from the street bikes, I always said that, my fault for doing what I did to myself for being dumb enough to be on street bike. I saw a guy yesterday at the market getting on his street bike with a infant car seat strapped to the back strapping his three year old in and I really cringed.

    What I think he meant by "wild look" was not harley davidson bike rider wild, but do a flying W while getting as much air off a jump type wild, just to clear that up. And yes, that's how I was. To win as any racer knows you gotta be a little bit crazy and at the same time be under control.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

  4. #14
    Senior Member DaleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    5,408
    Oh yes! Riding on the street as much as I did was STOOOOPID!! 12k+ miles per year, for years. Not only for myself, but I should have been watching out for my family, too. Wife had my #4 in the oven when I got run into. Nowadays, I'm all about driving wrapped up in as big and heavy a cage as possible, displacing as much risk onto to the people around me as possible, in the name of minimizing my own. I've paid the piper.

    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I hear what your saying but a person has to look out for themself and riding a street bike is not doing so. I would never ever ride a street bike again, way too risky. Somebody runs a light and piles into you, you don't stand a chance, at least when your in a car you got something around you. I really should have just stuck to dirt bikes and stayed away from the street bikes, I always said that, my fault for doing what I did to myself for being dumb enough to be on street bike. I saw a guy yesterday at the market getting on his street bike with a infant car seat strapped to the back strapping his three year old in and I really cringed.

    What I think he meant by "wild look" was not harley davidson bike rider wild, but do a flying W while getting as much air off a jump type wild, just to clear that up. And yes, that's how I was. To win as any racer knows you gotta be a little bit crazy and at the same time be under control.
    __________________

    He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

  5. #15
    I guess it is because of my age, but over the years I've had people make comments like, "where did you serve," "was it Nam." I quickly answer "no not all, didn't serve in the military", but rarely go on to volunteer how I was injured.

    All the best,
    GJ

  6. #16
    Senior Member Van Quad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,558
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Oh yes! Riding on the street as much as I did was STOOOOPID!! 12k+ miles per year, for years. Not only for myself, but I should have been watching out for my family, too. Wife had my #4 in the oven when I got run into. Nowadays, I'm all about driving wrapped up in as big and heavy a cage as possible, displacing as much risk onto to the people around me as possible, in the name of minimizing my own. I've paid the piper.
    I always tell my able-bodied friends that when you have #1 in the oven, it is time to sell your bike.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    motorcycle is so common. when i was in rehab at RLA in SO CA, many were there by motorcycle, many by gunshots (gangs). a nurse took my motorcycle friend down hallway saying motorcycle, motorcycle for each one applicable.
    When I was an OR tech, we used to call them "donor-cycles".

    Mary
    C5/6 complete 10/27/2009 MVA

    "I'm going to try defying gravity." Elphaba in "Wicked"

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    He claimed he was the wheelie king
    Was it Doug Domokos?

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by tw View Post
    Was it Doug Domokos?
    Nope, unless he is back from the dead, he was killed in 2000 in a ultralight crash, stuff like that happens to us risk takers. I'm pretty sure it was this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ6ww...eature=related I did a youtube search on wheelie king, looks just like the guy I was talking too and he did say he was from Iowa and he and his wife were moving back there because of lack of jobs here in Florida. I use to do stuff like this on bikes, no wonder I ended up in a wheelchair when I was 23. Wow, this part 2 is really insane, no wonder the guy said he was grateful not to be in a wheelchair http://www.youtube.com/user/rhanghian
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 10-21-2011 at 10:24 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

  10. #20
    Senior Member Van Quad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,558
    I had a friend who got his SCI from a chicken coop collapse. What are the odds? How long are you in the chicken coop on any one day?

Similar Threads

  1. Doris Buffet is giving money away
    By Norm in forum Cure
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 11:14 AM
  2. OMG Guess what I did today.........
    By Jodie Lynn in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-22-2007, 06:13 AM
  3. Guess Who?
    By Raven in forum Life
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 06:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •