Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheelchair accessible hunting blinds.

Quote Originally Posted by a la carte View Post
    Thanks, Scott! Even though it was a few years ago and a tiny buck (rack-wise), I think I'll always love the pic...

Shot him with a Remington Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag, using a 175 gr. Sierra Game King at about 3050 fps MV. Was literally the last minute of the last day of the season and I saw him walking across a field at about 75 yards. Stopped the Jeep, loaded the round, and shot from the door (open window). Dropped him in his tracks with a high shoulder shot. I like to drop 'em like that because trackin' through vegetation ain't easy or necessary! On that farm in eastern WA, shots to 400 yds are possible, so I used the Sendero. It's just plain good. Like me!
    Nothing like a pic of a buck in the snow. Good job on taking him from your mobile blind. Deer around here, except for the backwoods mountain deer, don't pay much attention to a vehicle. I shot an 8 pointer at 8:30 one morning walking from a patch of woods to a cornfield in front of me to bed down for the day. He was 10 yards out my side window and could care less about the van.

I too prefer the high shoulder shot. It'll drop 'em every time. Although I shoot a little less recoil than a 7 mag
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Nothing like a pic of a buck in the snow. Good job on taking him from your mobile blind. Deer around here, except for the backwoods mountain deer, don't pay much attention to a vehicle. I shot an 8 pointer at 8:30 one morning walking from a patch of woods to a cornfield in front of me to bed down for the day. He was 10 yards out my side window and could care less about the van.

I too prefer the high shoulder shot. It'll drop 'em every time. Although I shoot a little less recoil than a 7 mag
    I think my favorite deer rifle might be my 50 cal T/C Hawken. I think it kicks a tad more than the Sendero, but that's not the reason - it's the traditional elements!

I think one of my 6.5 x 55's may prove the 6.5 to be about the "perfect deer round," but I haven't hunted with one yet... Too many choices!!!

I LIKE having lots of choices. I have a Rem Sendero 300 win mag(the Buckmaster's gun of the year from several years ago) and a 7mag but almost NEVER shoot either one. My deer guns of choice now are my 243 wssm to reach out there, and my little Rem model 7 7-08. Compact and topped with a Leupold 2x7 makes it a great woods rifle.

I sighted in my CVA optima ML last week and with 150 gr of powder, she packs a wallop. Kills on both ends but accurate.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Your 7mm-08 is an OUTSTANDING deer round!!! The 6.5mm-08 (260 Rem) is ballistically identical to the 6.5 x 55. Folks seem to love 'em all!!! Low recoil, moderate (meat-saving) velocity, and they Git 'Er Done!

I've used a 243 Win with 100 gr. Hornady's at 3000 fps MV out to 204 yards on whitetail does. (Lighter, faster bullets destroy too much meat at closer ranges.) While they did kill the deer with one shot each, my personal opinion after forensic examinations is that I want something heavier and bigger caliber than 6mm for 200 yds or beyond, especially on bigger deer. I'd be comfy with the 6.5 x 55 a bit past 300... JMO, YMMV!
    Last edited by a la carte; 10-26-2011 at 10:52 PM.