Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sores every now and then in between toes?

Sores every now and then in between toes?

Every now and then I get sores in between my toes and if I don't take them properly (antibiotic cream, anti fungal cream and cotton balls spreading them apart so they can breath) they become infected and I have to go on anti-biotics. This is something that started a few years back. I'm trying to figure out what is going on and why I get this every now and then. Anybody else get this? Is it something to do with getting older? Lack of circulation? I never use to have this problem, my feet use to stay healthy. Maybe I should just spray my feet and toes with Lomitrin foot spray every mourning? I'm thinking more than likely athletes foot and it gets between the toes and causes open sores? The sores are red and ozze puss, it's pretty gross when it happens. Going through this a little now with my right foot and trying to take care it the best I can, I'm on antibiotics for a uti so hopefully thats keeping the toes from becoming infected, they don't seem red at all anymore and do seem to be healing, just trying to prevent this from happening more in the future.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

It does sound like athlete's foot and your right antifungal creams and ointments will work.

Have you changed the type of shoes and/or socks you are wearing. Are your feet sweating more for some reason. Are you having reactions to detergents or fabric softeners?

My doctor has recommended an prescription antifungal cream, Ketoconazole 2%. Your shoes can harbor fungus because of moisture. It is best to wear cotton socks to absorb moisture and let your shoes dry out between wearings (don't wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row if your feet are extremely sweaty). It is a good idea to wash your feet frequently and dry them carefully. I find a hair dryer turned to a cool temperature setting helps to dry all the little nooks and wrinkles thoroughly.

I have used the over the counter antifungal creams and the one my doctor recommended, but since I use Vetericyn/Microcyn for my bladder, I have it always on hand and have taken to using it on these types of sores. It works miracles.

All the best,
    GJ

Good advice. I also like using lamb's well twined between the toes at night to keep them slightly separated and allow air circulation. You can use the same piece over and over. Don't make it too bulky, and do not wear it during the day when you are wearing shoes.

Also be sure your shoes are not too tight in the toe area. If they are pushing your toes together this only makes the issue worse. Sandals which provide good protection are also a good idea.

(KLD)

I found vaginal cream works well as a preventitive. the stuff for yeast. If I dont put a lil between my toes on days my feet are in shoes for a long time, I get the sores. actually cracks between my toes.

white cotton sox, not dyed ones. if you have to wear dark socks, put some antfungal cream between your toes before putting your socks on. you can use atheletes foot powder in your shoes and if you sweat a lot, have two pairs of shoes and alternate them so they dry out completely between wearings.

Chances are it's fungal. I use a hair dryer to dry between my toes COMPLETELY after I shower. Dampness/moistness is an invitation to toe rot and jock itch (so dry there, too). Once treated, you can apply some rubbing alcohol between your toes and then use the dryer.

Be warned that steroidal anti-fungal creams (some of them, anyway) will thin out the skin over time, so they should not be used as part of maintenance regimen.

Yup, my dad has this too. It's fungal. Once the skin gets broken down, it is easy to get a bacterial superinfection. So check between your toes every night, so you can catch it early if it's starting.

After every shower, dry between the toes very very well. Then, my dad usually uses an antifungal over the counter cream in between the toes after a shower. Then places cotton pieces between toes. Puts on his compression stockings.

Then at the end of the day, throw away the cottons. Puts anti-fungal powder (Zeasorb) inbetween toes with fresh cottons. Clean, cotton socks on overnight. In the morning, more fresh cottons with more anti-fungal powder.

So he always has anti-fungals on his feet. Every day.

Also - --- my dad has fungal infection of his toenails, so of course this will never go away and is what makes the recurrent fungal skin infections a problem. He also buys (online) some of those topical anti-fungal "nail polishes" and also uses those on his toenails several times a week. This doesn't clear up the toenail fungus but slows it down a bit and I suspect leads to less spread to his skin.

I know... so much work. But your feet are precious!

If he starts to get a fissure starting (crack in the skin) (usually happnens after an irregular shower schedule, but only a couple times a year now), then we follow his podiatrists recommendations. A drop of betadine on a q-tip and wipe on the tiny fissure. Twice a day (morning and night). It dries up and closes in a few days, usually. I know I know I know... you shouldn't use betadine on wounds. But this works really well if you do it before the wound gets to be severe.

I know a couple people who had their toenails removed due to the toenail fungus.
    not all the toe nails, just the badly infected ones. that took care of it.

one is a lady and she just paints the skin where her toe nail was and you cant tell at all.

Thanks for the help everyone, I guess this problem has gone chronic with me, especially the right foot, I drive a lot with my feet sitting on the truck floor and I guess that does not help out either as far as circulation and all. My Foot Doc actually told me about the betadine idea and I'd forgotten that one, I think I'll put some on tonight to try and close these two wounds up I have on my two right foot toes.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    I know a couple people who had their toenails removed due to the toenail fungus.
    not all the toe nails, just the badly infected ones. that took care of it.

one is a lady and she just paints the skin where her toe nail was and you cant tell at all.
    Do the nails grow back after getting removed?? I assume since you said she paints the skin, that they don't. Thanks to a shoddy pedicurist, I have severe fungal infections that have now spread to EVERY toenail. I just finished up 5 months of the pills - Lamisil. They're still infected