Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally got my surgery date!

Finally got my surgery date!

November 16th and I have to be there for 6am. My sister and I will travel down the day before for pre-clinical and stay overnight somewhere in Toronto. She'll be there for the day of the surgery and then take my car home to her place in London. I'll be there for 2-3 weeks now instead of 6 (because there was apparently confusion over what I wanted to do with my bladder).

I spoke to the urologist and she believed it may be possible for me to return to crede/valsalva, given that it was a fall that started all this trouble. I went 7 floors up to the uro-gyne's office and only spoke to the secretary who said, "No, never not again." pffft Anyway, I'll return after 6 weeks for a voiding test and if all else fails, intermittent catheters which I won't like, but I can deal with it if nerve grafts come along (please Dr Silver, hurry!).

I was warned I'd be in a world of hurt (lower back pain) afterwards by the secretary ... I said I won't feel it but she retorted, "Trust me you'll feel this." Of course, this is the same person who told me to pretend like I'm walking in bed to keep the blood moving to avoid clots (anyone have a rubber mallet I can borrow to bing her with?) Also, specifically with paralyzed individuals and any type of bowel surgery, peristalsis is apparently difficult to start up again afterwards. They were telling me they have a male patient with the same last name as mine(!) who is paraplegic, had bowel repair, and is in his fourth week of non-functioning bowels. I hope that doesn't happen to me!

Specifically this is a vaginal prolapse with anterior and posterior wall repair. Uterus to be removed. Hopefully there is no enterocele (intestinal hernia).

I have to tell you - if my bowels are full, the bulge between the vagina and anus now is so extreme that stool gets caught in that 'gap' and I'm having a difficult time emptying and I certainly can't reach without extreme difficulty. I'm on my fifth day without having an adequate bowel movement. I'm told this will be repaired.

OMG IN THE TIME IT TOOK TO TYPE THIS, THAT SECRETARY JUST CALLED BACK - IT'S ON THE 22ND NOW! She is so scatter-brained!!!!

Gawd I hope these people know what they're doing!!!

Any advice for how I'll be afterwards? Will I be menopausal? These are questions I didn't ask because I didn't see the actual uro-gyne, I saw the urologist.

Freaking botox is still not approved in Canada yet!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

No advice, but happy that you now have a date for the surgery.

Best wishes on your surgery and recovery.

congrats on getting a date.

re: menopaual. Are you having your ovaries removed? if so, yes menopausal. See if you can leave your ovaries. You're not having this because of cancer, so why not inquire.

Glad you have your date.

Lynnifer, what type of botox are you looking to get (or maybe where-on your body)? 'cause there are lots of places it can be injected here - bladder, major muscles.

lovely.
    you must be pretend walking on air at the thought of having this dealt with finally.

at this point id go with a supra pubic catheter if you dont regain bladder. you may decide to after cathing for a while. the supra pubic procedure is reversable too if by some stroke of luck, you get bladder function back.

I had considered that Jody ... but I've had quite the weight gain over the past couple years of illness and I would worry about its placement.

I haven't cathed regularly since the 2nd month I was paralyzed when it was discovered I could do crede back in 1985 ... I'd really like to return to that ... but I understand the hesitancy. I've been changing my foleys for two years now so it's not much different.

I guess menopausal was the wrong word because I am keeping my ovaries. Will I still feel ... cravings every month? Bloated? Miserable? I know I shouldn't, but the hormones would still be there - just not the period (and I am NOT going to miss you my red homey!!!!! lol)

I know nothing obviously about hysterectomies!

I also have to get a physical from my own local family doc ... disappointing as I can't access a table in his office.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

with only 1 ovary, I dont have enough progesteron in my system to have an appatite. only six weeks after quitting the pill, I cant eat very much at all. I feel so wiped out, but the weight I gained while on the pill is strinking faster than I thought it would.

you will also lose quite a bit while in hospital.
    id take the extra weight over how I feel right now.
    you may be surprised at how much you lose once you are recovering.
    its just amazing how much better I felt while taking a birth control pills. good that you are keeping the ovaries.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I had considered that Jody ... but I've had quite the weight gain over the past couple years of illness and I would worry about its placement.

I haven't cathed regularly since the 2nd month I was paralyzed when it was discovered I could do crede back in 1985 ... I'd really like to return to that ... but I understand the hesitancy. I've been changing my foleys for two years now so it's not much different.

I guess menopausal was the wrong word because I am keeping my ovaries. Will I still feel ... cravings every month? Bloated? Miserable? I know I shouldn't, but the hormones would still be there - just not the period (and I am NOT going to miss you my red homey!!!!! lol)

I know nothing obviously about hysterectomies!

I also have to get a physical from my own local family doc ... disappointing as I can't access a table in his office.
    your ovaries are what produce the hormones so there is no reason that you would not expect to have the same miserableness after that you have now minus the cramps and bleeding from shedding the endometrial lining of your uterus obviously. ie. bloating/fluid retention - your still going to produce hormones that fluctuate which will set off other hormones and so on..Be glad your keeping them, it's a good thing. PMS should be alive and well, sorry.