Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been on Keflex now for a UTI for 7 days

Been on Keflex now for a UTI for 7 days

Thats all the script was for as I had a lab test done and keflex was a med that was suppose to work for the bug I have. Question for the nurse, I refilled the script today and plan on staying on it for another 7 days to be safe. I'm feeling fine now but just don't want this to come back and want to make sure to wipe the bug out entirely. Does this sound like a good idea? It just seems to me 7 days may not be enough with the way my bladder functions (neurogenic) and with the fairly high residuals I have *(100mls). Curt
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I always have an extra Rx of Keflex around Curt. When I had a persistent UTI, the doc put me on Macrobid for a month at only one aday. This was after 10 days of Keflex. Did the trick.

Which is better to have around just in case-Keflex or Levaquin?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie67 View Post
    Which is better to have around just in case-Keflex or Levaquin?
    speaking only for myself, Keflex would be..........the last 4 C&S I have had done, Levaquin and Cipro were resistant..........I always have a strain of Ecoli grow out. Keflex has been on the list that does work everytime.

I try to stay away from Cipro and Levequin as much as possible as those are big gun meds and I really worry about tendon injuries on those type of meds, never had it happen, but heard of it happening. Patrick, the bug I had was resistant to macrobid, I was actually on that one first as like you, that was the med I had for taking for the next infection. I made the mistake of not getting a lab test first and just took the macrobid, big mistake, it did not work, hence being on the keflex which is suppose to work for this bug according to the lab results.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Blog Entries
    The extra week is a good call, Curt. Most SCI docs prescribe double the normal length of time for UTIs for cripples.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

People with SCI who are being treated for a true UTI (not just colonization) should be managed as having a complex (not simple) UTI. This means, for oral drugs, 10-14 days of treatment, not just 5-7 days as would be done in an AB person with a UTI.

Regardless, it is highly irresponsible and unwise to take an antibiotic, or to keep a stock of antibiotics and self-dose yourself. All UTIs in people with SCI should be treated ONLY when you have a true UTI, and then only, as Curt has done, when you have FIRST submitted a urine for culture and sensitivity (C&S) testing to determine if this is the right antibiotic for you. Taking a wide spectrum antibiotic on your own, without first testing, is a wonderful way to assure that you will eventually develop a multiply drug resistant organism (MDRO) such as MRSA or VRE, and also significantly increases your risk for developing complications such as c. diff.

(KLD)

I was wondering how long it would take in this thread before the lecture came about keeping antibiotics on hand, lol!

I dont keep anything on hand as I take all my meds as prescribed and take them until they are gone. I was just answering a question that was asked.

I'm well aware of the reasons for not taking broad spectrum antibiotics unnecessarily and the need for taking whole course.

But... as someone who rarely gets UTI's and frequently travels, I worry about getting one (and although I've only had a couple in past many years, I think I know it when I see it) and it seems prudent to have the drug on hand rather than go through the difficult and time consuming struggle of finding medical care. I've never had to do this but its comforting to be able to if necessary, nothwithstanding stern warning above.

What if the abx you have on hand doesn't kill the bug? Then you're in trouble, so it's better to get a C&S test done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie67 View Post
    I'm well aware of the reasons for not taking broad spectrum antibiotics unnecessarily and the need for taking whole course.

But... as someone who rarely gets UTI's and frequently travels, I worry about getting one (and although I've only had a couple in past many years, I think I know it when I see it) and it seems prudent to have the drug on hand rather than go through the difficult and time consuming struggle of finding medical care. I've never had to do this but its comforting to be able to if necessary, nothwithstanding stern warning above.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!