Thread: Replacing seat bottom upholstry on Quickie GTX Chair

Replacing seat bottom upholstry on Quickie GTX Chair

I have a tear in the seat bottom upholstry on my GTX chair and need to replace it. Anybody know how it slides out. On the older chairs there were philips head cap screws holding it on, that was easy. Then on my last quickie 2 hp there was a small Philips head screw on the end of each X frame tube, you removed the screw, popped off the cap and slid out the upholstry and slid the new upholstry in, again easy. On the GTX I can't figure out how the plastic caps come off, there are no philips screws near them and there are screws with things that slide in the track, loosened those and nothing, all they do is slide back and forth in the track. I was about to remove the tubes from the cross brace, but they are really tight and I worry about them snapping and don't want to remove them if I don't have too. At this point though I'm thinking that is the only way those end caps are held on by removing those 4 nuts that hold on the tubes to the X brace? maybe I'll have to risk removing them. Anybody done the seat bottom upholstry on one of these chairs (GTX) and how do I get it to slide out of it's tracks?
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I have a tear in the seat bottom upholstry on my GTX chair and need to replace it. Anybody know how it slides out. On the older chairs there were philips head cap screws holding it on, that was easy. Then on my last quickie 2 hp there was a small Philips head screw on the end of each X frame tube, you removed the screw, popped off the cap and slid out the upholstry and slid the new upholstry in, again easy. On the GTX I can't figure out how the plastic caps come off, there are no philips screws near them and there are screws with things that slide in the track, loosened those and nothing, all they do is slide back and forth in the track. I was about to remove the tubes from the cross brace, but they are really tight and I worry about them snapping and don't want to remove them if I don't have too. At this point though I'm thinking that is the only way those end caps are held on by removing those 4 nuts that hold on the tubes to the X brace? maybe I'll have to risk removing them. Anybody done the seat bottom upholstry on one of these chairs (GTX) and how do I get it to slide out of it's tracks?
    GTX owner's manual. If link opens see page 17 (M), this might do it, If link doesn't open let me know, can get there a different way.

http://www.sunrisemedical.com/media/...bmLocale=en_CA

Thanks for the link. I must be loosing my mind. It simply says remove the seat sling end caps and slide out the upholstry. I tried removing the end caps with a pair of pliers and they did not move. Guess I'll try a big pair of channel locks and see what happens then. I did not want to force too hard as the end of the cap was starting to deform with the pliers, guess I just did not have a good enough grip as they were too small. Sounds like the bigger channel locks should do the trick, the caps must just be press fit in as it says nothing about removing any other hardware to get them out, I was just nervous about damaging them if they were being held in by something else.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I guess if you can think of a tool that won't tear it up , less of a bite than channel locks that would decrease chances. If it it comes to it looks like the part can be replaced for reasonable price through these folks. I have used them and they seem to have "all things quickie".
    good luck, ches

http://www.quickie-wheelchairs.com/w...eat/seat-sling

Don't lose your mind Curt, just find a gal that is nimble with a thimble.

Thanks Ches, I think maybe if put a large screwdriver in the track and then tap it with a hammer might be the best approach, at least now I know there is nothing else holding these caps so I'm not as worried about doing any damage by applying a little more persuation.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred