Thread: Is any bleed in the brain a injury?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Is any bleed in the brain a injury?

hello im asking if any brain bleed is a injury to the brain, my husband is a incomplete c567 guad had a mlogram done three days later had a bleed in spaces of brain he really hasnt been the same. brain was swelled and irritated last ct was clear tho from blood, he has a pacemaker is the reason for test couldnt have mri, they were cking sci which is narrowing at c4 and t1 now

thanks peacegirl

im not a medical professional.

I would guess though, that any bleed that would cause his brain to swell is not good at all.

I once got swelling in my brain from retaining too much water, and it caused seizures, and facial drooping. it wasnt permanent though.

sorry you are going through this.

Thank you Jody was wondering wish dr would have maybe explained this or i should have asked but will try next month when we go back .

Thanks peacegirl

Yes, bleeding inside the brain is considered to be a type of brain injury or stroke, depending on the cause and location as far as the effects this would have on function or behavior.

(KLD)

I never looked at it that way, but I told sci that I thought he was having at least 3 seizers during that, couldnt decided if it was that or very much more spasming was very scary because he really didnt realize of course but ask me while in hospital why his body was so nerves after that watching tv he did that and he finally looked down at his arm I had noticed I wanted to see if he did that was strange seemed to be on right side, when we were going back to neuro he wouldnt go threw a fit so hoping his knew meds will help to help me to get him there, sometimes I think he would rather let something else get him other than sci alone so he dont have to deal with it, he says they cant help him, and was sick of life, that is scary to me, I tell he still has his family we love him , not going anywhere, and he calmed down. I will have to keep saying it . Thanks peacegirl

I too had a brain bleed. Let it go about a month before having it checked, thot I was dealing with a lupus flare. It showed in the mri I had, a bit of drooping on the rt side, a little weakness too, but working out helped.
    He can work it out, there's always hope. Hell I had three way bypass 2 yrs later, that should have slowed me down, but nooo, I was out fishing in 6 weeks. Good luck to you, i know it's hard as a caregiver, but Ive tried never to have to have a care giver, just someone to help me with a push every once in a while.

this will take some time. both physically and emotionallly.
    tell him others who have similar injuries are thinking of him, and that there is love, joy and happiness after injury.

finding out the extent of his condition, and treating some of his issues may take some time to work out, however it is true, that there is quality life after injury. and life is still worth living.

Very uplifting thank u all so much!

peacegirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peacegirl_11 View Post
    hello im asking if any brain bleed is a injury to the brain, my husband is a incomplete c567 guad had a mlogram done three days later had a bleed in spaces of brain he really hasnt been the same. brain was swelled and irritated last ct was clear tho from blood, he has a pacemaker is the reason for test couldnt have mri, they were cking sci which is narrowing at c4 and t1 now

thanks peacegirl
    peacegirl,

From your description ("bleed in spaces of brain"), it sounds as if your husband has what is called an epidural hemorrhage. There aren't many "spaces of brain" other than outside the brain and ventricles. Epidural hemorrhages tend to compress the brain and may cause brain swelling, depending on the cause of the hemorrhage. On the other hand, he may have had a subdural hemorrhage which means a bleed inside the brain. This is more likely to cause brain swelling.

Epidural hemorrhages do not always damage the brain. Most subdural hemorrhages can and will damage the brain. This is because blood is quite toxic to brain. Blood normally is contained inside blood vessels. When it escapes in the brain, it clots and causes inflammation and other problems. In general, an epidural hemorrhage that is compressing the brain is usually alleviate by drilling a hole in the skull and allowing the blood to come out.

Subdural hemorrhages are harder to treat and most neurosurgeons leave it alone unless it is expanding. Depending on where it happens, it may cause paralysis, sensory loss, emotional, and other problems, just like a stroke. On the other hand, the brain is remarkably plastic and is able to adapt to injury. Usually, after a first stroke, most people recover almost completely. Recovery from the second and third strokes tend to be more limited.

In summary, whether it is an epidural or subdural hemorrhage, he should recover substantially over time. It may take a year or more.

Wise.

Thank you wise, i will find out i had the report from local hospital who said possible thromboise or meningitis, and i do believe it said subdural hemmorage on both sides more on the left in frontal area, his pain was between eyes in behind his nose going back he said. But he was transfered to a hospital 2 1/2 hrs away that was more equipt to handle that, they told us at that hospital after ct they thought it was dye at first possibly, released him, came home suffered 2 more days headache, looked like he had a seizer at home in his sleep on couch, i walked over to him his eyes were going back and forth side to side his right arm fell off and was shaking, i shook him and he jumped and i asked him was he okay, he staggered to bed, he did this off and on all night , which his spasms are like that but not as bad so i wasnt sure, headache wouldn't let up so i called spinalcord dr and they wanted to do a blood patch to stop headache, was sent to a dr who has done this for 30 years he got the local hospitals report,and looked at ct and said this is not dye, you can see its blood, gave pain meds and couldn't do blood patch he said he didn't think this was coming from spine. I asked if he had a stroke and he said no, headaches continues now off and on but is better i think, but i have seen some things i told his spinalcord dr, while telling him about episodes my husband said i wish u would tell me when this is happening, and i said i have talked to u, i was like you serious, dr said does he have memory problem after these episodes, but i didnt really know at that time until he said that, dr put him on seizer meds but i still didnt understand what was going on, i had to do his meds tho he couldn't remember how to take meds anymore, which he has done on his on for years,memory is still off, still having headaches. I wish i still had report i gave to a local dr so i could get help with him when needed i had to seek medical attention once the 2nd hospital sent him home, and they needed those results to try and help with his pain. Until we go to dr in nov. Also he never ran a fever so i quess it wasnt menigitis, he has so much going on at times dont know what is what by some symptoms, thanks for your help wise!

Thanks, peacegirl