Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever used one of those attachable hand cycles?

At first my insurance refused it by saying they woldn't buy a bike. We re-submitted it as a cardio vascular machine and they've been buying them ever since.

If there's one thing that's worth buying out of pocket, it would be a handcycle. I think it's one of the reaons I've been so healthy after 38 years in a chair.

Quote Originally Posted by badsign View Post
    flying, yeah it might be a struggle at first but I imagine it wouldn't be too tough after some practice. I'm happy for you that you got your freedom rider coming in. Is it your first hand cycle?

Curvy, what you say makes sense. Though I'm just stubborn enough to poke them and see what the bounds are. The DME guy that came to fit me for my new chair swore that insurance wouldn't cover a titanium chair but I insisted he put the order in and they said yes first try. Only thing they didn't approve was a camo paint job, which is good because I did not ask for a camo paint job. I don't know why the guy checked the box for that add-on. He certainly didn't check that box while we were filling out the paperwork lol. How do you like your TiLite Aero?

Patrick, I did check out that forum post and sent a message to hv. Looking at the picture I cannot tell how you turn that thing, and what are those bars sticking out to the left and right? I appreciate your insight. Sounds like you've been around the block a few times when it comes to this sort of thing. Some of the comments mentioned a need to replace the tires but I'm assuming other than that, the cycle is pretty much in ready to go shape.
    Yes it my first hand cycle. About to turning radius, I first tried out a lean steer and loved it. The cycle I found is not a lean steer but it turns 3 times faster. I could just see myself getting stuck on some tight turns on the paved trails around are little lake. It seems to take upper body to turn this one as well. There are some used cycles out there for about 1200 to 2000 dollars. Good luck
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Patrick, thanks for the tip. That would be a good idea to try. I think I'll need to get in touch with my dr. to go over the details and see what happens.

flying, that's kind of what I am concerned about. I think I should be ok for the most part what with South Florida being completely flat for the most part

One thing I jsut thought of while reading a forum post about a BMW.... I'm fairly tall. 6'1". Wondering how that might impact my options, especially that older Flyer hv has up for sale.

I'm 6'2" never a problem with sizing. The turning radius on all handcycles suck. It's just a matter of learning to have the cranks in the right position when making a turn. Sometimes, while turning around, a person will have to back up a few strokes go forward and back up again. No big deal, just anticipate where and how you want to turn around. The leansteers and the FRH-1 have the shortest turning radius of the recumbents.

I'm a T12 with moderate to poor core strength. If you have a fusion (mine is from L3-T10) it may be hard to exercise and strengthen your core without specific resistance exercises geared toward not allowing yourself to be supported by your metal. Since it doesn't flex like your spine did normal bending and leaning might not be adequate. I personally hated the leaning bike, as I wanted a balance of work out/recreation. The lean steer was all workout for me, painful too, as I said I don't bend in the middle anymore, and the stresses around my fixation caused pain. It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round! Find a dealer and start demon'ing bikes! Are you a Vet, per chance? Even if you aren't still service connected the PVA has handcycle teams/racers all around the country. They are a great resource for trying out bikes. Good luck!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Hey Dale, thanks for the post. I'm not a vet but I must be thankful that I do not have a fusion and have the ability to bend fairly well. It does take all kinds, and your comments serve as a reminder to be thankful for what I have. Thanks for that, buddy. Why kind of cycle are you using?

Hey badsign were in south fl. We have achilles practices all over. Come out and try some bikes and get a feel for what u like ... I'm n west palm beach ...

Quote Originally Posted by badsign View Post
    Hey Dale, thanks for the post. I'm not a vet but I must be thankful that I do not have a fusion and have the ability to bend fairly well. It does take all kinds, and your comments serve as a reminder to be thankful for what I have. Thanks for that, buddy. Why kind of cycle are you using?
    I had an XLT Pro but just last Friday I donated it to a local Vet who wanted to try racing with the PVA but lost everything due to his SCI and would just never be able to afford one. I hadn't ridden it much over the past year, and figured he had more inspiration and motivation than me.

Talk about counting your blessings, I feel fortunate to just be alive. I took a direct hit from behind, while sitting stopped on motorbike, by a Ford Probe traveling 65mph. Pulverized my T12 and L1 vertebrae when I folded over backward over my back seat luggage case, then launched 50' down the street into on coming traffic, hence the fixation.

Eye witnesses scored it a solid 10.0!

(FWIW, I will likely replace the handbike with a Lasher ATH or a Freedom Ryder FRH-1.)

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by GJ2 View Post
    Hey badsign were in south fl. We have achilles practices all over. Come out and try some bikes and get a feel for what u like ... I'm n west palm beach ...
    Delray Beach! I did a quick google for achilles practices. Is this aprt of Achilles International? Never heard of the group but thanks for the offer to come check some stuff out. I'd like that. When's good to come up? I work 9-5, Mon-Fri.
    I had another question for you that I'll send via PM as it's not really relevant to this thread.

@Dale, you're quite the achiever there, Mr. 10.0 *clapping* On a serious note, I totally agree about being lucky to even be alive. My injury is from a gun shot wound. Just a moment before I was shot in the blank, the gun was pointed point blank in my face. Could have been much worse. There was no 10.0 in my fall though. I'm a little jealous One day I'd like to own a Lasher product. I've been following their stuff for a few years and love some of their concepts. That ATH looks simply badass. Reminds me of a 4-wheel off road wheelchair I once saw pictures of. That was really cool of you to gift that hand cycle man. Good karma for you, my friend!

we practice 9-11 saturday @ the lake worth therapeutic rec center 2728 lake worth rd. 33461 weather permitting ... call me i'll pm you my number...

thats 1 block east of congress ave on lake worth rd.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Achill...61036937282470

[QUOTE=badsign;1435344]Delray Beach! I did a quick google for achilles practices. Is this aprt of Achilles International? Never heard of the group but thanks for the offer to come check some stuff out. I'd like that. When's good to come up? I work 9-5, Mon-Fri.
    I had another question for you that I'll send via PM as it's not really relevant to this thread.