Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever used one of those attachable hand cycles?

Anyone ever used one of those attachable hand cycles?

I've been thinking about getting a hand cycle. The ones that sit low to the ground look pretty sweet but I don't know if transferring back and forth would get to be a pain after awhile. Some of the more upright ones look a bit goofy but I would probably use them more.

And THEN I saw these attachable hand cycles.

I've seen a few YouTube videos. There's a guy making one in Europe called Arm Bike and another called Dragonfly. They seem like they'd be convenient for storage but would kind of suck for providing a really good cycling experience. Although that guy from Europe has a video of him hauling some serious a$$ with his Arm Bike. Pretty impressive, that one.

Anyway, have any of you used something like this? What did you think?

Quote Originally Posted by badsign View Post
    I've been thinking about getting a hand cycle. The ones that sit low to the ground look pretty sweet but I don't know if transferring back and forth would get to be a pain after awhile. Some of the more upright ones look a bit goofy but I would probably use them more.

And THEN I saw these attachable hand cycles.

I've seen a few YouTube videos. There's a guy making one in Europe called Arm Bike and another called Dragonfly. They seem like they'd be convenient for storage but would kind of suck for providing a really good cycling experience. Although that guy from Europe has a video of him hauling some serious a$$ with his Arm Bike. Pretty impressive, that one.

Anyway, have any of you used something like this? What did you think?
    I have tried the drangonfly because Oracing sold them, and is pretty good and nice bike, i think is the best one for the best price.

I know two guys who broke their hips because of the atrtachment coming off the chair.

What's your level of injury. South Florida? Dang, you should have a proper recumbent or upright bike. There is no comparrison between a recumbent and Dragonfly if you want to cycle.

Hey guys thanks for the responses. Sounds like mixed reviews. I'm a T12 with great upper body strength but pretty poor core strength. That's something I'd really like to change. I've also not been the best about stretching my legs so I get a bit of spasms and if my legs were stretched out in front of me on one of those lower sitting cycles I'd be concerned my leg would pull back and yank my foot out of the stirrup. I suppose I could deal with that my just stretching out more often like I should be doing anyway.

Yes, I'm in South FL. I've seen a couple hand cycles on craigslist and sent a few emails out but I've never ridden one of these things so I'm going into this fairly clueless other than what I've been able to read on the forums here.

If it helps, my goal is to try and get some good exercise to keep healthy but at the same time simple recreational pleasure.

My insurance seems to be pretty decent. They covered a new chair without any fuss just recently. This has gotten me to thinking about what other kind of things can I get them to pay for that I could/should have been using for the last 15+ years. Things like those standing frames and other exercise type of equipment. I should probably pose that type of question in it's own thread but wanted to toss it out there while I was thinking about it in case someone reads this that has suggestions.
    Last edited by badsign; 10-18-2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Adding additional text.

T/12, poor core strength. You need a Freedom Ryder Leansteer . The Dragonfly would be completley inappropriate for you. A recumbent would stretch out your legs so you wouldn't spasm so much. Here's a thread of hv1987 selling his at an extremelly good price: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=163386

Not sure if you are standing at all, but a standing frame would be really good for your spasms also another would be a Vitaglide if you could find one and shoulder press.

Most of all, you need to build up your lower core and cardio, thre Leansteer would do that for you.

I rode a hand cycle a couple of days ago. Man was that fun. If your upper body is strong, you will be amazed at how fast you can go. Just bought a freedom rider can can't wait for tomorrow. It would be great for you to try one out to see how hard the transferee will be. But if you have strong upper body I think that you can do it no problem.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Insurance will not cover exercise type equipment unless it is necessary for cardiac rehab. I usually compare it to an AB's insurance paying for a mountain bike, ice skates or a gym membership. The answer is THEY DON'T! Insurance pays for as little as possible, and the sad fact is that they won't cover a shower chair/bench, commode, etc for use in the bathroom, any modifications for your home or car, a wheelchair for uses other than in the home, etc. Many times if you don't have an active pressure sore or a good history of prior sores they will not even cover a pressure reducing cushion.
    Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

flying, yeah it might be a struggle at first but I imagine it wouldn't be too tough after some practice. I'm happy for you that you got your freedom rider coming in. Is it your first handcycle?

Curvy, what you say makes sense. Though I'm just stubborn enough to poke them and see what the bounds are. The DME guy that came to fit me for my new chair swore that insurance wouldn't cover a titanium chair but I insisted he put the order in and they said yes first try. Only thing they didn't approve was a camo paint job, which is good because I did not ask for a camo paint job. I don't know why the guy checked the box for that add-on. He certainly didn't check that box while we were filling out the paperwork lol. How do you like your TiLite Aero?

Patrick, I did check out that forum post and sent a message to hv. Looking at the picture I cannot tell how you turn that thing, and what are those bars sticking out to the left and right? I appreciate your insight. Sounds like you've been around the block a few times when it comes to this sort of thing. Some of the comments mentioned a need to replace the tires but I'm assuming other than that, the cycle is pretty much in ready to go shape.

It is an incredible deal Bad. It sounds like it's in great shape. Tires are no big deal. I've been riding for 36 years, so I guess I've been around the block lol.

You turn the leansteer by leaning into the turn. The two bars on the left and right are used for balance and transferring.

As Curvy says, your being a t/12 you should have no problem transferring into a bike.

My insurance buys all my bikes. I'm sure I'm grandfathered in. They've bought at least 15 bikes for me and not finished yet.

Keep us informed if you would, on how it turns out, no pun intended lol. Or, if you decide you want to go with another, we can help with making sure you choose the right bike with the right options for you.

Believe me, this will be one of the best things you can do for yourself. There is nothing like being on the roads or trails, without the chair, feeling the wind.

I think it's worth looking into if I'm going the out of pocket route.

Well that sure explains the name of the thing. I'm curious about the turning radius. The picture leads me to believe the turning radius might not be its strongest suit. The more I think about how you lean to turn, the more I understand how you say it will definitely help core strength. If you must lean to turn, you probably have to use a fair amount of muscles to keep it going straight too lol.

Any advice for getting insurance to pay? I guess by now you have the history with yours to make it a pretty simple process. For a first time, though, maybe I need to see a physical therapist and see if they would submit something to insurance about it being a medical necessity, etc. I haven't seen a PT since I was in rehab back in '96.

I'll keep you all updated on how it turns out, that pun was intended I appreciate the offer to steer me in the right direction. That pun was not intended.

You really sold me on how great this will be with that description of riding without the chair feeling the wind. That brought a big grin to my face!