Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quadriplegic knife & cutting board set up

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Clever set up! It's cool that you can cook WITH your wife now.

However for me, that looks too restrictive and limited to certain motions. While providing good support for the blade and helping the knife stay level, I often need to turn and twist at slight angles, given my wrist and the way I need to apply pressure due to no pecs on cutting arm, which forces arm/elbow to raise and hold at different angles to get best/most function. My biggest issue is the lack of strength to cut down onto large items, for example a cantaloupe, so I need both arms/hands to apply pressure, mainly using the front part of the blade.
    I d use a large blade to cut large items into more manageable sections, then use a sharp serrated steak knife to cut most things (from foods to packaging).

How would you cut into large, hard/firm surfaced items with your setup?
    Good questions… We made the hole for the vertical metal piece to go onto the metal rod a little too big and there is some slop. Initially, I thought this was bad. But as I have used the knife more I'm realizing that slop allows for some greater flexibility like you discussed. It introduces some sideways (without having to move it on the rod) motion and angling of the knife probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 to 10 degrees.

I cut a very large Apple the other day, it was fairly hard. I pulled the knife towards me, which allowed the blade to lift up very high. Since the Apple was fairly hard when I came down on it I needed to use my other hand to push down on top of the knife and between my two hands I created a little bit of a rocking motion. This work very nicely.

Hope that helps answer your question.

I tried using an L-shaped knife once that had a vertical handle, years ago. It was very dangerous because even though it was strapped to my hand, it kept rotating and flopping from side to side. I almost lost a finger or two!
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

I'll see if I can get a video done and post it this weekend.

This is a wonderful idea! perhaps the use of large wing nuts would facilitate taking it apart for cleaning an easier task although i would simply spray a little diluted bleach water and give it a rinse....

Quote Originally Posted by fromnwmont View Post
    This is a wonderful idea! perhaps the use of large wing nuts would facilitate taking it apart for cleaning an easier task although i would simply spray a little diluted bleach water and give it a rinse....
    I have considered that… still debating though. Stay tuned for a video!

That's a great invention....where there's the will, there's a way (most of the time).

hi,

I don't suppose you remember what size nuts and bolts you used, do you?

Thank you.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    how do you sharpen or hone the knife blade, as this should be done every time you use it? i know you said the whole thing can be taken apart but have you tried this

Attachment 43601

It can be found on Quadtools.com
    Sorry, I completely missed this. I have actually been talking to Jeff about his reacher. I have placed an order for his 7 inch knife :-)

While my setup has worked well I find that I have to exert unnecessary energy because of its limited movement. I am now looking for greater flexibility in a knife so I hope to fall in love with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by joe in Calif View Post
    hi,

I don't suppose you remember what size nuts and bolts you used, do you?

Thank you.

Joe
    I believe it's all quarter inch. I got all the metal, nuts, and bolts at Loews. I believe the rod is quarter inch as well and we threaded the ends. Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Sorry, I completely missed this. I have actually been talking to Jeff about his reacher. I have placed an order for his 7 inch knife :-)

While my setup has worked well I find that I have to exert unnecessary energy because of its limited movement. I am now looking for greater flexibility in a knife so I hope to fall in love with this one.
    I have been using the Quadtools knife for a few years now. It is by far an amazing knife. It allows for unsurpassed percision and control of the blade for those who lack hand function. I highly recommend if you get one that you also invest in a quality sharpener and keep the edge as sharp as possible. Anyone who works with knives for a living will tell you a sharp knife is much safer to work with then a dull one. It requires much less effort to do the job and reduces the chance of slipping due to excessive force.

I can trim and butterfly chicken breast with ease or slice through medium mellons. Even thin slicing tomatoes but it all relys on my blade being as sharp as possible and me letting the blade do all the work I mearly guide it along.

On that note I guess its time I do a knife skills video for those interested in learning how I control this knife safely and techniques I have adopted to help due to my C5 quad arm limmitations.

Awesome!