Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Live from Working 2 Walk 2011!

How much could chondroitinaise have an effect on? Could it help walking given that we know it is much more complex than breathing?

Chondroitinase could have a remarkable effect in combination with rehab and is soooo safe. I suggest unite and encourage the SCI community to barrage Acorda with a continuous stream of letters. I do know that James Fawcett with help from the International Spinal Research Trust (England) are working towards clinical trials. I myself will be pushing for trials as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jsilver View Post
    Chondroitinase could have a remarkable effect in combination with rehab and is soooo safe. I suggest unite and encourage the SCI community to barrage Acorda with a continuous stream of letters. I do know that James Fawcett with help from the International Spinal Research Trust (England) are working towards clinical trials. I myself will be pushing for trials as well.

James Fawcett said in an email to me clinical trials in 2 to 3 years but as you say if Acorda is holding things up in any way we should get our expert 'advocates' to organize standard letters requesting the quick release of this drug. I don't think anything antagonistic is appropriate as Acorda is potentially our ally and a valuable one.
    Last edited by Christopher Paddon; 10-21-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Seems it's the FDA that holds things up ultimately. Same here in Canada except it's doubly worse!
    Last edited by lynnifer; 10-22-2011 at 11:02 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Chondroitinase has been researched by literally dozens and dozens of labs. Hundreds of papers have been published on it. If the researchers tell us it's time to move on, then why not? They need to decide on the correct delivery system to use, and then it should be moved forward.

Biotech companies are in the business to make money for the company and stockholders. We probably need to show them several reasons to bring the enzyme out of R&D. (Chondroitinase is the only thing in the Acorda pipeline for chronics at this time). The researchers have all researched it to death and then some.

I believe there's one paper that shows axon resprouting of 40% with chondroitinaise and lithium.

I thought there was no cure for sci but what we seem to be saying is there is possibly one but the drug companies can't be bothered moving forward with it. I feel angry if I am sitting for a few extra years unnecessarily.

Could ChinaSCINet push to test chondroitinaise with, say lithium, in its next round of trials and put pressure on Acorda to provide the enzyme?

I am still hopeful that cord blood and lithium will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    Could ChinaSCINet push to test chondroitinaise with, say lithium, in its next round of trials and put pressure on Acorda to provide the enzyme?

I am still hopeful that cord blood and lithium will work.
    I personally would doubt that any biotech would want their chondroitinaise enzyme mixed into this soup with it just coming straight out of the research and development box. Just MHO...

How come Acorda owns this product? If it's been tested so many times by so many people the surely it belongs to everybody

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    How come Acorda owns this product? If it's been tested so many times by so many people the surely it belongs to everybody
    Acorda holds all the most pertinent patents on it. It belongs to Acorda, not everybody.

Surely Acorda can make money from it as possibly one of the first sci therapies - I can't see that it can possibly be holding back for any good reason other than technical ones - although, J Silver must know something as he is advising us to apply pressure