Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Live from Working 2 Walk 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post
    Dr. Davies gave a breakout session, Jim, but he asked that it not be blogged or broadcast as he didn't want to interfere with getting new work published.

Sorry ~~

Maybe dr.Davies have a major breakthrough!!!!!

Maybe dr.Davies have a major breakthrough!!!!!
    If the past is a predictor of the future, probably not. I was assured back in 2005 there would be results using decorin in a chronic rat. That was 6 years ago, nothing so far for chronics.

Davies alluded to a blockbuster paper that was printed this year, by all measures it was a blockbuster for Davies, not necessarily for people in chairs.

Others have moved past Davies, such as Invivo, Dr. Young, trials in Brazil, China, trials coming to India, Norway, the USA, etc.

u2fp just made it into Scientific American!

A new experiment aimed at achieving actor Christopher Reeve's dream of finding an effective treatment for spinal paralysis was announced this week at an international meeting of scientists and people with spinal cord injury sponsored by the United 2 Fight Paralysis Foundation.
    And the article features our Irish friend, Martin:

"This is great news—very exciting," says Martin Codyre, of Greystones, Ireland, "but I am frustrated because this [experiments in humans] should have happened 15 years ago."
    If you have a facebook page, please link to this article and carry the message out into the world . .. we can create momentum only if people see that we exist, understand that there are therapies that need to be tested, and know that the matter is urgent.

article

I know I'm easily swayed by males with charming talk (lol), but I am really liking that Jerry Silver with what he has to say! He is direct and to the point. In fact, I have chosen not to do any of the usual paralzyed options with my flaccid bladder hoping that nerve grafts will be here in less than ten years.

I've been so disappointed by males - don't disappoint me Doc Silver! Hi ho and away!

lmao

Let's hope Acorda doesn't screw this up again (famipridine trials).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

jsilver, sorry for, as lynnifer once characterized it, "impossible question", but nevertheless, how close we are to some "YES, WE CAN" probability? No promises, no predictions, no speculations, but experimenlally founded and well-considered analysis of the current situation.

Dear Kivi66,

Well, of course, this is a question that can only be answered with a speculative answer. From what I learned at W2W during our visit to the Kennedy Kreiger Rehab Center, it is clear that many if not all SCI people (I don't like to call people with SCI patients) improve with rehab no matter when they begin. If, indeed, slow synaptic plasticity is at least part of the recovery mechanism then, in my opinion given the overwhelming scientific evidence, chondroitinase administered to select regions of the cord could significantly help either speed up or increase the amount of recovery. If Acorda will please place SCI higher on their priority list and let us all work together to figure out an appropriate delivery system for the enzyme, which should be relatively easy to solve, then we are very close. I showed at W2W how well the enzyme alone, even without respiratory therapy, can foster recovery in the once paralyzed respiratory system at very chronic stages. Bridge building across the lesion to promote frank regeneration is also possible in humans (this has already been done in Taiwan using segments of PNS autografts) although to maximize this approach will surely take longer to figure out all the hurdles that need to be overcome at very lengthy chronic stages. Treatments that are also discussed at great length here at CARE CURE such as various stem cells or glial restricted precursor cells, could bear fruit when used at acute stages after SCI and especially when used in combination with other therapies that make sense. Importantly, there is zero published data showing that umbilical cord blood stem cells plus lithium has been effective to foster recovery in an appropriate animal model of SCI at long chronic stages. I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

11-19-2004, 10:34 AM #16 PapaJoe

Suzanne, I truly hope Dr.Huang is considering using Chondroitinaise ABC in his combination, I would think it would have to be considered in Chronic injuries to dissolve the Glial(scar)in order for ANY of the other ingrediants to be most effective. Please try to persuade him...I know you can!
    Thank you,
    PapaJoe

Quote Originally Posted by jsilver View Post
    If Acorda will please place SCI higher on their priority list and let us all work together to figure out an appropriate delivery system for the enzyme, which should be relatively easy to solve, then we are very close. I showed at W2W how well the enzyme alone, even without respiratory therapy, can foster recovery in the once paralyzed respiratory system at very chronic stages. Bridge building across the lesion to promote frank regeneration is also possible in humans (this has already been done in Taiwan using segments of PNS autografts) although to maximize this approach will surely take longer to figure out all the hurdles that need to be overcome at very lengthy chronic stages.
    Emphasis mine.

The community should, imo, pay attention to this.

Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post
    Emphasis mine.

The community should, imo, pay attention to this.

What should we, as a community do?
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Excellent question as I'm wondering too.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12