Thread: How many T12L1 types can ride a standard bicycle

How many T12L1 types can ride a standard bicycle

Was going to put of getting a hand cycle, to see if someday I could ride my old bicycle. At about nine months post, I'm getting lots of thigh return, can almost hold myself up without a walker. But all bets are off after a 1.5 hour role with my daughter, we finally made it back to the parking lot. And low and behold there was a guy unloading a hand cycle. Well I begged an pleaded and he finally let me ride it around the parking lot. Man that was fun. Am amazed how ease they roll. One can hall ass with much less effort then I would have guessed. Just wanted to know how many people can ride a standard bicycle. I have the balance but no were near enough strength.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

I'm an L1 and L5 and have a standard bike in a trainer at home. I can pedal it just fine. However, balance is an issue for me and I haven't had the nerve to take it out on the road. I was looking at some recumbant type tricycles recently but was put off by the prices. I'm 14 months post and will wait until next summer to see if I get enough balance back to get on a standard bike. I have a feeling it will happen.

I am not a T12/L1 but, if I may this was my experience with a bicycle.
    I am a walking (forearm crutches) C5. I rode a standard bicycle for a few years. I had to use the clip on style pedals to keep my feet on.
    I used a physical object to start/stop. Emergency stops/starts were very difficult and I had my fair share of Arte Johnsons flop overs....Hard on elbows!
    I don’t have the best control of my feet and they did not want to stay in the correct position. This has added a lot of extra wear and tear to my feet and ankles.
    I switched over to a LC-1 Freedom Ryder handcycle six years ago. For me its a lot safer and gives me better range.
    A Bicycle is wonderful exercise for legs but, for me there was to much risk evolved.

agree with Jett. L1 burst fracture, incomplete.

A. There is skin issues sitting on a bike seat.

B. There is neuropathic pain sitting on a bike seat if I could balance a bike which I can't. No sensation in either leg or foot. No motor strength on L to clip into a pedal and have to wear AFO.

C. A fall would not be worth the potential injury -----

that being said, after my injury 10 years ago, I was so desperate to appear normal that I had my LBS weld training wheels on a cruiser and I tried for a while. I was new to injury and it didn't work. This is what it looked like, it is very dangerous, don't recommend this.......

I had a burst L1. My right side is near normal.I'm currently 2 1/2 years post. I started riding a standard bike about 1 year post. It was hard due to weakness in my left leg as well as plantar flexion issues. A power grip strap is a must for my left leg to keep my foot from inadvertently slipping from the pedal. Things have slowly improved yet I only ride at about 2/3 (maybe 3/4) my old pace. I have numbness in the saddle area so I am always sure to wear well padded bicycle shorts. Balance was a very slight issue in the beginning and a non-issue now.

Wish I had my old legs back, but don't we all?

Have you considered a recumbent tricycle? I rode one for a few months, before I was ready for a bike, and it was fun. Here is a link:
    http://www.utahtrikes.com/
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Jett View Post
    I am not a T12/L1 but, if I may this was my experience with a bicycle.
    I am a walking (forearm crutches) C5. I rode a standard bicycle for a few years. I had to use the clip on style pedals to keep my feet on.
    I used a physical object to start/stop. Emergency stops/starts were very difficult and I had my fair share of Arte Johnsons flop overs....Hard on elbows!
    I don’t have the best control of my feet and they did not want to stay in the correct position. This has added a lot of extra wear and tear to my feet and ankles.
    I switched over to a LC-1 Freedom Ryder handcycle six years ago. For me its a lot safer and gives me better range.
    A Bicycle is wonderful exercise for legs but, for me there was to much risk evolved.
    c6/7 here and I think I could do like you did, but I would have trouble getting my feet clipped on the pedals.

I have been thinking over a tricycle for the past couple weeks. I rode a bike with training wheels (little kids bike, I was way to big) the other day. Got about 50' and my legs started going crazy. I figure with the right size and clip-ons I could go 1/4 mile.

Bikes are one of the things I miss the most.
    Last edited by Human; 10-20-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Human, I recently purchased a used Greenspeed GT-3 recumbent bike and added clip less pedals.
    Without gravities help from a standard bike position, this style of bike really works my legs!
    Two or three miles and I am toast! It’s a nice change of pace but, If I want speed and distance I will stick with my handcycle.

heres my easyrider from sun bikes.

I have to strap on one foot to a pedal, but it is a good trike and less expensive than a hand trike. I used a recumbant exercise bike at a gym for many months before I could get a full pedal motion going, which I do more with one leg, while the other goes along for the ride.

Id love a hand trike to get some upper body tone. they are so much more expensive than my trike was.

it was 750, but got a deal on it.