Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Permobil vs Quantum power wheelchairs? Help!

Permobil vs Quantum power wheelchairs? Help!

Hello! I have a C3-C4 spinal cord injury & I will be getting a new power wheelchair. I have tried both in like only 10 minutes & am having such a hard time deciding which one to get. I'm able to use a joystick & head array.

For those who use/have used one or both of Permobil 300 or Quantum, please give me your honest feedback, reviews & advice, especially on speed!

Thanks for any help!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asil1208 View Post
    Hello! I have a C3-C4 spinal cord injury & I will be getting a new power wheelchair. I have tried both in like only 10 minutes & am having such a hard time deciding which one to get. I'm able to use a joystick & head array.

For those who use/have used one or both of Permobil 300 or Quantum, please give me your honest feedback, reviews & advice, especially on speed!

Thanks for any help!
    My son was put in a Quantum 6000z directly after in patient rehab. We had so many electronics and battery issues that I bought a permobil 400 on eBay. The permobil was 1 year old when I bought it and has given us 3 years of trouble free operation. The quantum never went longer than 10 days without a visit from the DME.

Try Invacare? I work in a shop and we recommend Invacare power.

I have a Permobil 500 that stands. It is an amazing machine. I use it mainly for work. It is a heavy unit but very comfortable & performs great.

Quantum wheel chair reveiw

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    My son was put in a Quantum 6000z directly after in patient rehab. We had so many electronics and battery issues that I bought a permobil 400 on eBay. The permobil was 1 year old when I bought it and has given us 3 years of trouble free operation. The quantum never went longer than 10 days without a visit from the DME.
    Cannot begin to say how absolutely frustrated and angry our experience of the Quantum was. Wheels fell off twice, pommel fell off twice, springs of suspension jammed twice (involving me only being able to do 'donuts' IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD, programming failed a number of times...issues to numerous to mention! And the follow-up and support was decidedly 'shabby'. It seemed to have something going wrong with it on a fortnightly basis. NOT GOOD WHEN YOU LIVE INDEPENDENTLY AND RELY ON IT!
    I now have a Magic Mobility chair, half the price, more features and totally reliable.
    QUANTUM BUYERS...BEWARE!!!

Quantum wheel chair reveiw

Quote Originally Posted by asil1208 View Post

Thanks for any help!
    Please see post cslater.
    My experience was disasterous with Quantum

In order for me to provide any meaningful input, I would need to know more about your function. Knowing your injury occurred at C3-4 doesn't tell me much about what you are able to do. You could be a high quad on a vent or somebody who has weakness & spasticity but can stand to transfer and possibly walk.

You mentioned you can use both a joystick and a head array. Which are you most likely to need?

Some C300's I've done recently...

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=173121

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=186860

Quote Originally Posted by jakeyboy1 View Post
    Try Invacare? I work in a shop and we recommend Invacare power.
    I've always sworn by Invacare but no more. My last chair was a Torque SP and is a complete lemon. Outsourced to China perhaps.

Avoid Invacare at all costs

Van Quad,

I too have a Torque Sp and am on my 3rd set of motors. I had to have one rebuilt in May because Invacare stopped making them and has no replacement. What year did you purchase yours and what electronics do you have on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Avoid Invacare at all costs
    I don't know if I could agree with that general statement. Unfortunately, It seems like they all come out with a lemon every so often. The Torque SP might have problems, but my TDX SR has been working out great.