Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Permobil vs Quantum power wheelchairs? Help!

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Avoid any Pride Mobility product.

I have a Permobil C500 and I like it very much. It is so much more responsive than any of my past 4 powerchairs. I believe it is the best powerchair on the market today. Every Doctor I have seen in a powerchair drove a Permobil.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 07-09-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by NWC4 View Post
    Van Quad,

I too have a Torque Sp and am on my 3rd set of motors. I had to have one rebuilt in May because Invacare stopped making them and has no replacement. What year did you purchase yours and what electronics do you have on it?
    I have just cut my holiday short by three days due to the Dynamic (owned by Invacare) DX2 controller on my eighteen month old European spec. Invacare Storm 4 failing to accept any movement of the joystick...

...... not a happy camper!

Permobil M400

I just dont want to put down other chairs but I have had the invacre TDX 4, Invacre replaced my 2 year chair because it was a lemon. i had the TDX 4 for 4 years total then switched to quntium 6000z that was a big problem had to replace all the electrical 2 times in 3 years. Then my insurance ask me to try a permobil so look at them and ordered my new M 400 only have 200 miles but I can say this is the best fitting chair as far as power I never get stuck it just a great chair in my opion I realy like the corpus seating

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    I have just cut my holiday short by three days due to the Dynamic (owned by Invacare) DX2 controller on my eighteen month old European spec. Invacare Storm 4 failing to accept any movement of the joystick...

...... not a happy camper!
    This is exactly what just happened to hubbys chair too. Now in the process of ordering a C500 from Permobil and bought him a used C300 which was cheaper than trying to get a new joystick!

Quote Originally Posted by jandrain View Post
    I just dont want to put down other chairs but I have had the invacre TDX 4, Invacre replaced my 2 year chair because it was a lemon. i had the TDX 4 for 4 years total then switched to quntium 6000z that was a big problem had to replace all the electrical 2 times in 3 years. Then my insurance ask me to try a permobil so look at them and ordered my new M 400 only have 200 miles but I can say this is the best fitting chair as far as power I never get stuck it just a great chair in my opion I realy like the corpus seating
    Although I've been happy with my Invacare TDX and have been an Invacare user for many years, I'll also be considering Permobil's offerings next time around. I heard there were some issues with the M300 version, but they've been worked out with the M400 version (supposedly). Permobil does seem to have a nice clean integrated solution and since they've finally got something besides those fracking FWD chairs, they're something to consider.

Permobil Pwr Chair VS Quantum Power Chair

I have the C - 500 Hvy Duty Power Chair w/the Old Joy Stick. I've had it since April 2008 and it has never broken down on me. Previous chair was a Quantum 600 which I did not like. It rode hard and didn't have all the bells and whistles on it that my PERMOBIL chair has. I really like the seat elevating function and also the power : recline , tilt and leg rests. I have the high speed motor package and if I push the joy stick all the way forward and when it gets up to full speed I can feel a breeze go by my ears. It is also quite responsive. I can get it in the tighest of spaces w/o bumping in to any thing. I highly recommend PERMOBIL power chairs. They are well made.
    Best of luck on what ever make chair you decide on.

The Pride Mobility products are seriously sucking these days. I had an old Jazzy 1100 that was so dependable and so I went for the Quantum chair they sold me on and it was a huge mistake. That chair is a serious lemon and they have been trying to fix the darn thing since February. It is really sad when even the company rep comes down to the repair shop to look at a chair and can't figure out what the heck is wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NWC4 View Post
    Van Quad,

I too have a Torque Sp and am on my 3rd set of motors. I had to have one rebuilt in May because Invacare stopped making them and has no replacement. What year did you purchase yours and what electronics do you have on it?
    Purchased mine approximately 3 years ago and it's got the MK6i electronics. Living in the rain forest combined with these electronics = disaster. The least amount of dampness and the chair goes in circles. I've had four previous chairs operating in the same conditions without such safety concerns.
    I've never burnt out motors so it is probably the electronics on your particular chair. I've always been a big fan of Invacare and three of those previous four chairs were from them. But their quality has gone off the cliff...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Purchased mine approximately 3 years ago and it's got the MK6i electronics. Living in the rain forest combined with these electronics = disaster. The least amount of dampness and the chair goes in circles. I've had four previous chairs operating in the same conditions without such safety concerns.
    I've never burnt out motors so it is probably the electronics on your particular chair. I've always been a big fan of Invacare and three of those previous four chairs were from them. But their quality has gone off the cliff...
    So sorry to read that Invacares quality has gone off the cliff. My very first power chair was a Hvy Duty Action Arrow storm then few years later while working an 8 hour day in a call center I had the the 2nd generation power tilt n recline system put on it. I thought the seating system would use up a lot of power but it didn't seem to make any difference on having to charge it up any sooner then before the seating system was put on the chair as matter of fact when I got a new power chair a PERMOBIL C500 the Invacare chair was still on the original batteries from back in late 1998. I had gotten the PERMOBIL in April of 2008. Neither chair has ever given me any problems. I no longer have the Invacare as I didn't have any place to keep two power chairs living in an apartment. I donated it to a young gal in her 30's who has rapid progressive MS. She has to live in a nursing center. They have taken her out of a power chair I believe due to her arms being real spastic from the MS.

To asil1008, My husband has had at least 3 Permobils over the years; they have good reliability and feature-wise much adaptability. I would recommend them. I would also suggest that you check what kind of service is available for the chairs you are considering, because having a good technician to service the chair is important.

To SCI OTR, thank you for your most informative picture posts about the Permobils!! The pictures really help in visualizing what can be done with the Permobil in the way of adaptation. As I mentioned to asil1008, a good technician makes all the difference. Just as one example, on my husband's old C300, we needed to change the joystick from a right swing-a-way mount to a left; Permobil didn't make a left-handed mount for that model, but our local repair technician cobbled one up for us.