Thread: Wheelchair Accessible Home

Wheelchair Accessible Home

found this while surfing, some good ideas...

thanks for posting that, i always like checking out ideas, it's good stuff
    i would have done the shower different, since it was being built new
    and that threshold from the garage, carrying in groceries, etc can be a pain in the pain with that bump.
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Thanks! Now I understand how to deal with laundry, at least!

I wished I could have worked with you.

Here's a few examples of my designs.

I woulds have asked someone who had experience like Wally or at least an OT for help who had experience at a SCI inpatient unit. The kitchen should have roll out drawers on the bottom and the pantry would be much easier with the same style shelving but on roll out gliders. As far as resell, unless the perfect customer comes along you would not believe how short sighted most buyers are.

I'd have worked with a landscape architect and your cement guy to make the front walk more appealing while also being easily accessible and planted for easy care and a nice curb appeal.

Back to resell...decide to go access or resell up front. Your master bath should have gone with a roll in and nice tiling. Otherwise on resell you will hear nothing but "it's a master bath without a tub?" Or everyone wants the bars removed. Yes, I've got our last place up for sale and its sole drawback is we had to close off the 3/4 bath and walk in closet than combine the spaces through a central door. We got a well tiled roll in shower with a bench should an AB want it for shaving legs or an older person need it; a toilet and roll under sink; and, the damnable half walk in closet with upper shelving. Brand new, never used kitchen appliances, a huge deck built to a standard that can be built on if the next owners want a huge spa bath or another bedroom and still have plenty of deck to party and all they see is the 'closet in the bathroom'. LOL

I love Wally's universal house because the outside is much like many of the prairie or craftsman style newer homes in our new city. The house blends in well and looks great. I just would go with the largest bedrooms you can afford if you have or plan on children.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

we built a ranch with a zero entry front door and garage entry. The builder actually lowered the house so we don't have any ramps.