Thread: Colace (docusate) vs. Generic brand

Colace (docusate) vs. Generic brand

Is there any difference? I switched to the generic brand, and it just doesn't seem to be working as well. Is it safe to take 3 a day?

Thanks
    Last edited by wheelman21; 10-15-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Bad at spelling

I am not familiar with Colace, because I have never used it. The only difference that occurs to me might the the strength of the brand name product and the strength of the generic product you have purchased. Check the label and compare.

I looked up Colace Capsules on line and it appears they come in two strengths, 50mg and 100mg. What strength is the docusate sodium you have? The only active ingredient in Colace is docusate sodium (There are inactive ingredients that form the capsule). Do your generic capsules contain any other active/inactive ingredients that might affect the way it works?

All the best,
    GJ

HI,
    That is the age-old question- are brand name drugs beter than generic. The usual rule of thumb is to compare the ingredients and if exactly the same, it should be similar. I feel they are similar in teh case of colace.

It will not hurt to take 3 but most studies say 3 is no more effective than 2 but you could try it for yourself. It is worth a try before you have to add another drug. Everyone is different.

AAD

Docusate sodium can also be purchased in 250mg capsules. When you say "3 is no more effective than 2" do you mean "300 mg/day is no more effective than 200 mg/day"?

I take 500mg/day myself. Are you saying that this is the same as taking 200 mg/day?

Blog Entries
    That would be 3 capsules are are no more effective than2 capsules or 200 mg are as effective as 300 mg for most people. I take one capsule a day, and it works fine.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3/4 ASIA A 21 years post injury

My guess, OP, is that the generics you bought don't contain as much DSS as the Colace you were using, and the problem is that you're taking a lower dose, not that the generics don't work as well.

Since it's 1/4 the price of the brand name and contains the same ingredient, I've never used anything but the generic docusate sodium. I'm currently taking 750mg a day [one 250mg capsule in the morning and two in the evening], but it's safe to take up to 1000mg a day.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    My guess, OP, is that the generics you bought don't contain as much DSS as the Colace you were using, and the problem is that you're taking a lower dose, not that the generics don't work as well.

Since it's 1/4 the price of the brand name and contains the same ingredient, I've never used anything but the generic docusate sodium. I'm currently taking 750mg a day [one 250mg capsule in the morning and two in the evening], but it's safe to take up to 1000mg a day.
    Can someone please explain once and for all in a definitive way whether taking more than 200 mg/day of docusate sodium makes a difference? Some people are saying it does not and some people say it does.

I say definitively that it does make a difference for me. I have changed my dose up to the max to get relief and, when I had my gallbladder removed, adjusted it back down when the 1000mg/day kept things too soft. Through all that time, taking only 200 mg/day didn't ever work for me -- I need at least 500mg/day or I might as well not take it at all.

Additional evidence -- I seriously doubt that KLD would keep telling folks that they can take up to 1000mg if it didn't work any better than 200mg.

Just my $0.02.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Sorry for the confusion. I meant that at least 1 study has shown that 300mg is no more effective than 200mg. Nothing can be said definitively for drug effectiveness, but this is based on a study and personal antecdotes. You would have to try for yourself.

AAD

Did this study show only that 300 mg/day was no more effective than 200 mg/day, or did this study show that no amount greater than 200 mg/day made a difference. In other words, did the study show that 500mg/day was no more effective than 200 mg/day as well?

Is there some biochemical reason to think 500mg/day would be more effective, or not, than 200 mg/day? I just take more because usually more of something does more of whatever it does.

If you remember the name of the study that might be interesting. Or if there are other studies that find that there is a benefit to taking more.

It is hard to try this stuff out for oneself because a number of different factors come into play week to week that are hard to control for