Thread: foley balloon normal water vs. other fluid

foley balloon normal water vs. other fluid

We are leaving on saturday for the working to walk conference .. . . i always put a foley catheter in anthony just for the flight. Is it ok to fill the balloon with tap water? I have some saline but it has been open for a looong time and it is probably not sterile anymore . . . don't want to have to carry a bottle of sterile water to refill for the flight back. thanks
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

In a 2006 thread, one of the SCI nurses answered this question:

Theoretically, it really doesn't matter what you use to fill up the balloon with, it will not or should not ever come in contact with your bladder, urinary tract or skin. Everything in all the cath kits, including indwelling kits is sterile and is made for sterile technique. So, you could use tap water or buy bottles of sterile water if you wanted to be more sterile.

And of course, the indwelling is not recommended because it is thought to increase the chance of infections- even if in for a couple of hours each night. Most adjust their drinking schedule etc.. & use Detrol XL or Dtiropan XL or one of the others to relax their bladder to be able to hold more.

However, if it works for you then...

CWO

I have read that it is a good idea to bring the tap water to a boil and allow to cool before using it to inflate the balloon. Many hotel rooms have microwave ovens. It would be possible to bring tap water to a boil in a paper or styrene cup, cover it with a clean paper towel, allow to cool and use to fill the syringe.

All the best,
    GJ

Also, you can purchase small 6 oz containers of sterile water or saline but tap water should be OK.

AAd

My uro doc has been using tap water for more than 2 years now. As long as the balloon doesn't break all is ok.

this is good news . . . one less thing i have to do, thanks
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003

@waters3--why not just purchase and pack a cath change tray?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

hip crip response and info for USVI

thanks have no idea what that is . . . leaving tomorrow no time to order online and only do this about twice a year.

how is it in the USVI! still wanting to get anthony down there sometime, we go to BVI once a year. Looked for a house to rent on St. Thomas that would accommodate anthony and caregiver and 3 of us but hard to find.

Do you ever use that dial a ride with the wheelchair lift there on St. Thomas?
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003