Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Central Cord Syndrome/Spinal Contusion

  1. #21
    I posted elsewhere but I think you're right on about the Neurotin. She is acting crazy (for lack of a better word). She won't even come out of her room and says she has "no days left" and can't find the joy in anything. We are trying to get the docs OK to start taking her dosage down. I don't think it's helping the pain but making her depression and mood horrible.

    She just keeps talking about the heaviness in her arms but doesn't describe it as pain but says the heaviness is so bad she doesn't feel like doing anything. We are all at a loss of what to do for her. I'm hoping going off the Neurotin will be a start.

  2. #22
    I wish I had a magic answer for you. A lot of us on this site have asked the very things that you've brought up in this thread. Truth is, no one really knows what to expect when they have an SCI. Doctors can give it their best guess, but only time will tell. Encourage your sister to make the most of what she has and to work on her rehabilitation. Let time take its course and see how things materialize. It's a waiting game for all of us and once you get used to it, it's not so bad. I wish her the very best!

  3. #23
    I was diagnosed with Central Cord Syndrome after an injury back in 1985. I have come a long, long way since then but still deal with electrical pain mainly in my arms and hands. The more active I am, the greater the pain.

    My question is.....Does anyone else have CCS without it showing on the MRI? Can you still have CCS symptoms with a now normal appearing spinal cord in an MRI?

    Wishing you all well!

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by skinsavers View Post
    My question is.....Does anyone else have CCS without it showing on the MRI? Can you still have CCS symptoms with a now normal appearing spinal cord in an MRI?
    Yes, it is fairly common to have a "normal" MRI on a incomplete spinal cord injury like CCS.

    (KLD)

  5. #25

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I posted elsewhere but I think you're right on about the Neurotin. She is acting crazy (for lack of a better word). She won't even come out of her room and says she has "no days left" and can't find the joy in anything. We are trying to get the docs OK to start taking her dosage down. I don't think it's helping the pain but making her depression and mood horrible.

    She just keeps talking about the heaviness in her arms but doesn't describe it as pain but says the heaviness is so bad she doesn't feel like doing anything. We are all at a loss of what to do for her. I'm hoping going off the Neurotin will be a start.
    MCS: I am an incomplete quad with CCS. I also have issues with my upper body-- particularly with a subluxed left arm. I use a GivMohr sling to ease the the dislocation of the shoulder. It forces the arm back into the joint. It helps!!! You can buy it direct from the manufacturer in New Mexico. Just Google it.
    I started out with Neurotin and went to the max dose over time to see if it would stop the neurogenic pain. It didn't stop it. I switched to Lyrica and it works better with the pain. Also ask the doctor for an anti depressant. I take Citalopram and it works.
    As far as gains, I was injured in June '10 and it took months to make small gains in my arms and hands. Don't give up!! She is running an ultra-marathon, not a sprint!!

  6. #26
    Well just found out that Tylenol pm,Lyrica,diet drinks and beer are all bad for your liver.Got my lab work back and get to deal with this now ggt 173,ast 49, alt 64. I guess no Tylenol pm = up all night, no Lyrica = hurt like hell,no diet drinks= fat and no beer = .....

  7. #27

    Post liver function results

    Dear ant111
    You are correct on all accounts about how those medications effect your liver function tests. If you take Lyrica, you should not drink alcohol. If you take Tylenol, it is not recommended that you drink alcohol.

    Tylenol use should not exceed 4000 mg per day which means no more than eight extra strength tablets (500 mg each) per day. Tylenol PM is a combination drug = 500 mg tylenol + 25 mg benadryl. You may want to talk to your provider about a different sleep aid like trazodone.

    If alcohol use is really important to you then you may want to seek counseling about that. Finding a balance between control of nerve pain, sleep and quality of life is something you will have to sort out.
    pbr

  8. #28
    Thanks alot for the reply, I have drank beer all my life but never even thought about it and my meds being a problem. Now that I understand that, it want be any trouble for me to not drink.Can you tell me anything more about my tests,are they really bad or are they something that will be OK as long as I don't drink? I have not seen my doctor these test were for a life insurance policy. Thanks again Ant

  9. #29

    Post Liver function tests

    Quote Originally Posted by ant111 View Post
    Thanks alot for the reply, I have drank beer all my life but never even thought about it and my meds being a problem. Now that I understand that, it want be any trouble for me to not drink.Can you tell me anything more about my tests,are they really bad or are they something that will be OK as long as I don't drink? I have not seen my doctor these test were for a life insurance policy. Thanks again Ant

    Dear ant111,
    If you stop alcohol intake and limit your Tylenol use to recommended dosing it is possible to get your liver function tests to return to normal limits. You should get your liver function tests rechecked again in about 6 mos to one year for a recheck.
    pbr

  10. #30
    Hi Ant111,
    I had a car accident 2 mos ago that resulted on an injury to my spinal cord, diagnosis was CCS. I am taking neurontin 600 mg x3 a day. I know what it feels with your arms like bricks and having those morning pains. So far, ive recovered some use on my legs and on my right arm. left side is extremely weak. I have high hopes that i will complete a full recovery. I wish you the best and God bless.

Similar Threads

  1. seeking others w/ CENTRAL CORD SYNDROME
    By Evonne in forum Life
    Replies: 361
    Last Post: 05-26-2017, 04:04 PM
  2. Sammy, 6 mos. Central Cord Syndrome, need info
    By Sammy's Mimi in forum New SCI
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 11:09 PM
  3. chest tightness with central cord syndrome
    By flagstaff in forum Pain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-26-2005, 01:40 PM
  4. Central Cord Syndrome
    By Aurelia in forum New SCI
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 01:34 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-04-2001, 07:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •