Thread: Safe shower seat?

Safe shower seat?

For years I've used a padded fold-up shower seat. Lately I've had some balance issues and I feel increasingly unsteady when I'm on it. I sway side to side more and feel like I am going to slip off (I never have slipped off though and am not sure if it is even really a risk, it just feels that way).

I have been thinking of putting some bars on the walls on the side. I'm wondering if anyone else has a good solution for being secure in a shower seat.

Are you talking about a wall-hung shower seat? Don't like those either...too easy to fall off with any balance problems, and they have to be at just the right height.

You may want to look at a shower chair instead. Lots of features (padding, butt cut-out or not, arm rests, etc.). Some even recline. Most have height adjustments. They can be either stationary or wheeled according to your individual needs and bathroom set-up. Many can be used to roll over or set over the toilet as a commode as well.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Are you talking about a wall-hung shower seat? Don't like those either...too easy to fall off with any balance problems, and they have to be at just the right height.
    Yes, it's a wall-mounted shower seat. I've been using it fine for years, but with these balance issues, I'm not so sure now. I wish there was some standard configuration of extra bars or something that like used to keep it safe, but it's hard to arrange that and also be able to transfer into and out of easily.

You may want to look at a shower chair instead. Lots of features (padding, butt cut-out or not, arm rests, etc.). Some even recline. Most have height adjustments. They can be either stationary or wheeled according to your individual needs and bathroom set-up.
    (KLD)
    OK, thanks, I'll look into that. Is there a shower chair in particular people find useful? I don't have someone to wheel me around in one, it would have to be stationary. The ones I looked at looked dicey to transfer into and out of, frankly, at least from the pictures.

Transferring for me is just a lot harder than it was even say five years ago. I'm not getting any younger, lighter, stronger, or better balanced. Really I sometimes ask myself if my days of transferring independently are starting to end. I can do it, certainly, but it's just more and more of a struggle. But I know there are people with much less upper body control than me who seem to do fine.
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 10-11-2011 at 05:42 AM.

If you can push a manual wheelchair, and have a roll-in shower, there are a number of rolling shower/commode chairs that you can push yourself (large back wheels). There are ones with four small wheels for those who cannot. A rolling one would allow you to do just one transfer from bed to chair, roll into the bathroom over the toilet and then roll into the shower with minimal needs to transfer. A stationary one would require more transfers, and would be more difficult to move over the toilet if you also want to use it as a commode.

There are a number of excellent products out there that will work like this. Check out the wide variety of shower/commode chairs made by www.nuprodx.com and those made by www.activeaid.com just to start. Sometimes you can find the good ones on eBay for significant savings.

(KLD)

if balance is a problem, it might actually be easier to transfer into a completely static wall-mounted seat than a wheeled shower chair that has brakes and a slippery floor to conspire against you. i have both - also terrible balance - and the fixed seat is miles easier, and certainly less to worry about if im in a hurry or paying less attention than i should. my wall-mounted seat has a backrest and armrests, and in addition i have grabbars on the shower walls for when im in it and when im transferring in or out.