Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: But why

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    If I take pain meds, I can't move my legs as well, and I'm more clouded mentally (make your jokes, but srsly), so I do everything I can to keep myself distracted and focused on something else. Plus, the pain makes me squirm a bit from time to time, which makes it easy to remember to do pressure relief, lol.
    ??? srsly??? as cryptic as your pretty face behind the Heineken fan?
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by razzle51 View Post
    why are there some people who wont take pain medication and like to suffer . Its crazy .
    actually they are suffering . what is the reasoning behind it? If I didnt take my pain med I would might as well lay down and die . I want to feel good , get out and enjoy life . thanks
    yes i agree, but maybe they dont have insurance or good insurance, and a couple pain management doctors in their area. many docs dont have a clue on sci pain.
    it is not addiction when you take meds for pain,it is when you take for a buzz or high. The term is dependent on narcotics or in my case i am also narcotic tolerant. Meds i am on will kill anyone that is not narcotic tolerant.
    different docs also have different ideas, some still believe that narcotics do not work on sci pain and wont prescribe them. they are ignorant and you are fuched if that is your only doc in range.
    i have been going thought this battle for 10 years and the last couple months have had a big increase in pain, but i have a horrible time with the side effects as it is, so i do not want to raise my doses, but i may not have a choice.
    i'd have to off myself or try street meds/heroin if i didnt have the meds i have.
    i dont even know if heroin works on pain, i know t makes you high, but not sure f it blocks pain. believe me i hate what the meds have done to me,but i still get out for exercise, but nothing like i did 2 years ago before i went o the strong meds, i was cycling 3000 miles a year. i rode my bicycle/recumbent to NYC 3 or 4 times a week, i had an appetite,gym 2x plus a week, i dated. i could poop, i could write. Now i have constant confusion,havent dated, havent ridden my bike in 2 years, go to gym once a month. luckily i found a kickbike, and i hate the way the meds take away my energy and make me lethargic and i stay in on beautiful days, i cant take the heat ,i sweat out like crazy, i wish they would come out with something new, I walk so drez procedure seems to be out of question, plus my leg with CES/denerved/ fibroid which is mainly bone is getting badly bruised and i have to really watch it, or i will have more problems.if i didnt have this pain, i wouldnt need the PIE machine, which so far hasnt worked well , worth a sh*t , in a year, spent more than half my life on my bowels, or using the PIE or cleaninf up after the PIE, especially after the waste bag break , and next step is a MACE procedure.The good thing is one of the meds that a lot of the docs i see want me off of have let me walk without a AFO after 7 years,use a small ankle brace,at home or low distnace, no brace, but i should build a lightweight carbon spring like AFO for any distance. walking without the afo has helped my veinious insufficiency, and a little muscle growth .Pain takes away your life even with meds, but with the meds i still am able to do stuff and stay alive have a will to live.People also dont give many meds time enough to work, narcotics work in a hour channel blockers may take month. plus taking 3 meds synergist can really help,neurontin amyitriptyline,narcotic, can work well.
    cauda equina

why are there some people who wont take pain medication and like to suffer . Its crazy .
    actually they are suffering . what is the reasoning behind it? If I didnt take my pain med I would might as well lay down and die . I want to feel good , get out and enjoy life . thanks
    The side-effects from pain meds can be really debilitating. I spent a lot of time missing out on life while stoned from pain pills. I don't drink, I've never taken drugs, I don't like being intoxicated but I wanted the pain relief. I missed too much life. Now I rarely take anything. I'm on aspirin and gel icepacks. Occasionally when it's bad I will take a little Vicodin.

A doctor once said it depends, what's worse the pain or the side-effects. I've had enough pain killers, I'll take more pain and more sober moments. If they ever make a pain med that only stops pain and has no side-effects, I'm there.

By the way, I'm sensing judgement in your question. Everybody is different and needs to find their own way and that way can change over time.

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    does mj work on your pain? i tried mj a couple times, only at night at bedtime when the pain is the worse, it didn't work, i dont like to get stoned, stopped thast 20 plus years ago. however if it enabled me to lower my pain meds i would find a way to use it. the surrounding states have medical mj .so i could move.
    i wish i was at a place that i could try different strains to see if any worked.
    i believe some work better on pain, and give less of a buzz.
    Actually, I've never tried it... at least since my injury. Pre-injury, I got drunk one night and took a couple hits but barely remember anything. If it were legal, I'd do the edibles, as smoke messes up my allergies. I could get some if I wanted, but there's a chance that if caught, I could lose some medical benefits. So, until then, the pain continues.

I know everyone is different , but gee there are thousands of pain meds and pain treatments , something has to work. It took me 8 yrs to find the right one for me and if I hadnt of found it I will still be searching. thanks for all your input .
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous

I know everyone is different , but gee there are thousands of pain meds and pain treatments , something has to work. It took me 8 yrs to find the right one for me and if I hadnt of found it I will still be searching. thanks for all your input .
    I've had my fill of pain doctors, treatments and pills... thousands more would cause me to despise my pain that much more. If I thought that cutting my useless left arm would get rid of the pain, I most likely would, but since that's not exactly an alternative, I'll get by with self-learned breathing techniques.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm glad your pain is under control and I'm not downing new meds, I just lost patience and hope with new pharmaceuticals.

Besides, sometimes my pain reminds me that I'm still alive. lol

Yeah, I now see where you're going. There's one particular person on this forum I finally put on "ignore" b/c they only complained. And they absolutely have a right to. I just don't need to read it.

I've tried every damn thing that's ever been suggested to me. That includes narcotics. Nothing has helped. There's apparently nothing else available, besides a guillotine.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

It is good you found something that works, but please don't be disrespectful to those who have not.
    My husband was nearly in tears today because his hands hurt so bad.
    The Lyrica helps, but not always.
    He took some Ativan and slept a little. It sucked he had to sleep part of a beautiful day away to be relieved.
    Many people live in areas where SCI and central pain are not understood and pain clinics are not an option.

Central pain isn't really understood anywhere, IMO. If it was, there'd be an idea of the cause, and knowledge of why some people get it and some don't, etc. It's not recognized and acknowledged in some places still, perhaps.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.