Thread: Recent results of MRI

Question Recent results of MRI

I injured my lower back (L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1 31 years ago and in 1991 and 1992 I had to hemilaminectomies. Since then I have had an excessive amount of scar tissue wrap around that area, a ton of epidural injections, am on tylenol 3 in the morning, Flexeril every night at bedtime along with 75 mgs of Lyrica and a Vicodin at bedtime and a slew of modalities that are supposed to help with ADL's and today I got the news that I have 4 subligamentous herniations ranging from large to small from T3-4, T6-7, T7-8 and T8-9 with the largest one at T8-9. I am now dealing with severe loss of function to my right leg which almost daily means numbness and hot searing pain down the leg from the hip area down to the toes as well as loss of use of the leg for about 4-5 minutes if I have been up making a meal. Just depends on which meal I'm making as to how much loss of functon I have. Dr is now talking about inserting a neurostimulator to help with the pain and was curious to see if anyone has had this done and what your results were (if any). I can go into further detail of the findings of MRI but just thought I would start with this. Any reply would be appreciated. THanks and God Bless.

I am not qualified to interpret your MRI for you. But I noticed you have "subligamentous herniations". I wonder if this means midline or not. The vertebrae are supported in back by a ligament (in front of the spinal cord). This ligament is called the posterior longitudinal ligament. I runs the full length of the spine, but at the level of the discs it enlarges and sends out a lateral anchoring attachment along the opening for nerves (the opening is the foramina). So I am wondering if there is something unique about your herniations, ie that the radiologist can tell it is coming straight back into the bulk of the PLL, or whether he means something less definite. The posterior longitudinal ligament in cross section looks like an inverted T. The crossbar at the back is the place where the attachments go out to the foramina. Can your radiologist see the PLL being moved backward by the herniations in the thoracic levels, or is he just indicating the herniation is being held forward so as to avoid impinging on your cord or the cauda equina remnants of cord below L2? In other words, which ligaments are the herniations "sub" to.

Is the idea that scar tissue has formed from your hemilaminectomies, pressing on the nerve roots which leave the spinal canal there or what?

Here is what subligamentous disk protrusion is: On the left of the picture is anterior or towards the front of the body. On the right is the disk bulging out towards the spinal cord. I am sorry when I took my screen shot it says 'di' but it is really 'disk'. It says that a subligamentous disk herniation means that the the annulus fibrosus fibers are ruptured, but the posterior longitudinal ligament is intact. So it is a fancy was of saying it is a bulging disk. It probably means that it is bulging centrally towards the spinal cord and not to the sides.
    Like Dej said this PLL or posterior longitudinal ligament is a long strip of a ligament that connects the back of the vertebral bodies. It probably starts at the cervical level and goes all the way down.