Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: But why

But why

why are there some people who wont take pain medication and like to suffer . Its crazy .
    actually they are suffering . what is the reasoning behind it? If I didnt take my pain med I would might as well lay down and die . I want to feel good , get out and enjoy life . thanks
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous

Traditional pain meds don't always work. For me, all I do is get the "buzz" for an hour or so; to me it is not worth possibly getting addicted & dealing with some of the side effects for so little relief. I also think the perception & tolerance of pain varies greatly person-to-person, so some of us may not feel the need for pain medication, while others do.

It seems to me the more pain one is in the more motivation there is to do something about it. Try different meds etc.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Its very difficult to get a doctor to prescribe pain meds. some people have no choice.

If I take pain meds, I can't move my legs as well, and I'm more clouded mentally (make your jokes, but srsly), so I do everything I can to keep myself distracted and focused on something else. Plus, the pain makes me squirm a bit from time to time, which makes it easy to remember to do pressure relief, lol.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by anban View Post
    Traditional pain meds don't always work. For me, all I do is get the "buzz" for an hour or so; to me it is not worth possibly getting addicted & dealing with some of the side effects for so little relief. I also think the perception & tolerance of pain varies greatly person-to-person, so some of us may not feel the need for pain medication, while others do.
    All valid points, anban.

But I believe what Roz is [semi]ranting about, and I'm going to join in on, are those people who talk about how bad their pain is but refuse to even *try* certain pain meds, primarily narcotics. In the 16 years I've been participating in online communities like CC, I've come across a lot of them.

And I just don't get it.

In my experience [personal and that of those close to me], when the pain become so debilitating and agonizing that it's stealing your life and your sanity, when you spend every night crying and even screaming because it hurts so fucking bad, you'll try anything that might give you even a little relief.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    Its very difficult to get a doctor to prescribe pain meds. some people have no choice.
    I'm not talking about people who want to try narcotic meds but can't get access to them or people who've tried them but find they don't work or cause side effects that are more debilitating than their pain.

I'm talking about those people who post over and over about how relentless and debilitating their pain is yet rule out an entire class of medications that offer the possibility of some relief without even giving them a try. I've come across a lot of them in the 16 years I've been posting at sites like CC, and it's a major WTF for me.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

I started having nerve pain in my left arm, side and sciatic area 2 weeks after my injury. I spent the first few years post-injury trying everything they had but nothing worked. They pain can come and go before I'd even have a change to take a pill, so until WV allows medical marijuana, I'll just grimace and bite down until it passes. I complain about it at times, but after 21 years, it's just another sucky part of my life.

thanks everyone , You know I guess some people just dont care . I want to enjoy life , see the grandkids , take a walk with my hubby . I got to have pain medication to function . If you have side effects try something else . What I dont like is hearing people saying oh I hurt so bad cant live life anymore and duh they arent taking anything , are they scared , do they need mental help. Its sad it really is .
    if you get addicted you get addicted . I have been taking tramadol for 5 yrs now I guess I am addicted . you dont have to take narcotics to function. There are alot of pain meds out there . I just dont like seeing people suffer . But when its there fault Like I said "Its sad "
    thanks for helping me see what I am not seeing.
    Last edited by razzle51; 10-11-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: add
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I started having nerve pain in my left arm, side and sciatic area 2 weeks after my injury. I spent the first few years post-injury trying everything they had but nothing worked. They pain can come and go before I'd even have a change to take a pill, so until WV allows medical marijuana, I'll just grimace and bite down until it passes. I complain about it at times, but after 21 years, it's just another sucky part of my life.
    does mj work on your pain? i tried mj a couple times, only at night at bedtime when the pain is the worse, it didn't work, i dont like to get stoned, stopped thast 20 plus years ago. however if it enabled me to lower my pain meds i would find a way to use it. the surrounding states have medical mj .so i could move.
    i wish i was at a place that i could try different strains to see if any worked.
    i believe some work better on pain, and give less of a buzz.
    cauda equina