Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: But why

Quote Originally Posted by razzle51 View Post
    I know everyone is different , but gee there are thousands of pain meds and pain treatments , something has to work. It took me 8 yrs to find the right one for me and if I hadnt of found it I will still be searching. thanks for all your input .
    It took me 20 years to find the right combination so it is not always so easy to find. And everybody is differnt, my combination doesn't work for othter people I know. I can understand why people are giving up on the way, but I had three children and I couldn't give up.
    TH 12, 43 years post

misconception "something HAS to work"

I know everyone is different , but gee there are thousands of pain meds and pain treatments , something has to work. It took me 8 yrs to find the right one for me and if I hadnt of found it I will still be searching. thanks for all your input .
    Unfortunately something does NOT HAVE TO WORK. GOd know I have tried EVERYTHING. I have no relief. And worse, I know that I am not the only one here in this segment.

Glad you found something to help you, but don't assume people don' try all avenues.

ket
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Oh my I dont want to sound disrespectful I am so sorry . I just wanted yall to explain to me why people dont take pain meds when they are in pain. Thank you for all the great answers , it makes me understand more . Yall have a great day . Thanks again
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous

razzle51 - Here is my take on this.... This pain thing is a hard deal. It is hard to come up with answers for yourself, your own nightmare of an experience. That is a hard task. There is tremendous individual variation in the pathology, the experience, the side effects, the benefits of every med. It is hard enough to understand what works for yourself let alone trying to understand why people don't tick the way you tick. It is hard to see outside one's own experience. The whole pain thing is very isolating partly because the experience and response to treatment is so variable and idiosyncratic. This is part of what sucks about the whole thing. It isn't simple. I need to remind myself of this often. I am "lucky" and a responder to current available meds for NP pain and couldn't get through the day without them.

I have taken seemingly innocuous meds,i.e. Lunesta (a sleeping pill) - and had horrible nightmares from it. I wouldn't touch that med any more with a 10 ft pole. So some people can't take some meds.

Thank goodness you have found a combo that lets you get through the day with your sanity. Like woman from europe said, it can take 10 years to find that. I would agree, I am 3 months from celebrating my 10th anniversary and I am only recently finding peace in knowing how to take the meds to get through the day with some sanity....at least for now till things inevitably change.....

... , but gee there are thousands of pain meds and pain treatments , something has to work...
    No, there aren't. In reality, there are only a handful of meds that *might* help with central pain -- some narcotics and a few meds developed to treat other conditions [mostly anti-depressants and anti-seizure drugs]. There is no drug that's ever been developed specifically for any kind of central pain, and that's a HUGE part of the problem.

As Arndog said, those of us that do respond to these meds are lucky that our the nature of our SCI/D and our biology enable us to find some relief through those drugs, which makes enduring the side effects like loss of concentration, sedation, dry mouth, constipation, weight gain and yadda yadda blah a choice we're willing to make.

Not everyone is so fortunate. Some really have tried everything only to discover that nothing will alleviate their pain. My heart breaks for folks like my friend the Ketamine Kitty, whose tried it all to no avail.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Interesting thread.

I understand what the original poster meant. There are those that constantly post about how bad their pain is. I get it but if you don't want to read about it then don't. Some may find "venting" about their pain here a source of temporary relief.

I have tried pretty much all the currant batch of pain meds and no there is not one that works for my central pain. I'm fortunate to have a high pain threshold but everyone is different. I have experienced the side effects of some drugs with no payback as far as pain relief.

I work with blow-up, shot-up and burnt-up kids returning from war and too many can't find relief from today's meds. .

I've also seen a lot of junkies created in the name of pain relief. Tough choice drug addict or pain relief. Too many can't tell where the pain starts or if they are jonesing for another hit. Of course these are people I've worked with so I know them personally, not just a name on the net

I understand where these people are coming from as I was once there. I read the threads and if I can help, even if it's only a few positive words. I loses nothing in the process.

What I have learned is that pain is a very personal thing and it's not up to me to judge the hell others deal with. Particularly those I only read about. I have my hands full dealing with my own life.

I wish you all the peace you seek.

Be Big,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

I agree Tarkus, well put. I don't take Meds for a few reasons, and maybe I am crazy. I'm guessing I'm going to be in more pain in the future so I'm holding out as long as I can. I want to be able to feel the pain so I dont push myself to far. As far as CP, does anything work anyway? L4/L5 CES

As a preamble, I don't think I have central pain so I consider myself very lucky. I do have the usual burning, electrical-shocklike, pins and needles type of pain in my legs and back even though there is very little feeling. I've had days where the pain was quite tolerable and I've had others where I seriously thought death was the only option.

I don't take any meds for this because, first of all, I'm seriously allergic to opiods. The only time I tried them the doc in the ER said that it was a good thing I got them there because if I were home when I took them I wouldn't have made it back to the ER. So, naturally, I tend to want to stay away from them.

The other problem is the issue of side effects. Granted, side effects are something of a personal response, but from some of the posts I've seen, I'm not interested in the price. I work full time in a job that requires a security clearance and I think the idea of showing up drugged up would not be appreciated even given the underlying medical condition. I guess I would rather fight through the pain, even though I will lose some days than surender to a foggy half-life.

Finally, I guess I'm not a pill person. Curiously, I can put up with wheelchairs, leg and back braces, a SP catheter and leg bag, a feeding tube, and a trach, all of which I have, but I dislike taking pills. It's just me, I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by StarLord View Post
    As a preamble, I don't think I have central pain so I consider myself very lucky. I do have the usual burning, electrical-shocklike, pins and needles type of pain in my legs and back even though there is very little feeling.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but burning, electrical shock and pins and needles are classic manifestations of central pain.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

I'll often get the burning, 'pins and needles', or light stinging sensation to a certain degree but my mind doesn't interpret it as particularly painful. More annoying. More evidence to how much variation there must be in the physiology and interpretation of nerve signal transduction.