Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ROHO Cover Update

ROHO Cover Update

This is follow up to a discussion that started in a previous ROHO thread.

First, a quick history of the topic. Some of you "old timers" will remember when ROHO's standard cover was a very thin high-stretch lycra top cover. Great cover in that it allowed for maximum stretch and was ultra-thin. Tradeoff was that the lyrca top material would wear thin rather quickly and was prone to tearing. This cover can still be ordered from ROHO as a replacement part (UCCUST "old style lycra").

In order to meet increasingly stringent regulatory requirements, some years back ROHO changed away from the lycra cover to a somewhat thicker polyester cover. This cover still had stretch properties, but not the degree of stretch found in the lycra top cover. The top material of this cover had a more "texture-like" feel than lycra and this cover conformed to all regulatory requirements needed for reimbursement eligibility.

Unfortunately, this cover did not have the durability characteristics that you should expect as the top material was prone to fabric runs and bunching. Many users also found that it did not have the stretch properties they were seeking, especially when compared to the old style lycra cover.

To address these issues, in June of this year ROHO made the first step in a 2-step process to upgrade our standard covers. A new polyester Spandex top material was introduced, which had improved stretch properties and was much more resistant to runs in the material. I thank those Forum participants who tested this cover and provided feedback on your experience. Most all ROHO orders shipping today will have this new and improved cover (it was a rolling change as we depleted inventory of each size of the previous cover). How can you tell if you receive a cushion that has the new cover? The new cover is packaged in a blue bag. The serial number of the cushion would also be an identifier of whether or not the new style cover was included, but to check this requires a call to ROHO Customer Service.

The second step in the cover upgrade process will begin mid November (also a rolling change as inventory of a size is depleted) when we begin to introduce a similar polyester Spandex top material but with even greater stretch properties (increase of 68% in right-to-left stretch; increase of 29% in front-to-back stretch). This cover will be much closer to the original lycra cover in terms of stretch characteristics, but will provide you with a more durable, more plush fabric that is resistant to fabric runs and bunching. I believe we will have finally found a standard cover material that provides the stretch that you seek with the durability characteristics that will allow it to stand up to the demands of everyday use.

I will post a further update when the November implementation process begins for this new and improved cover.

If you have a situation with a recent ROHO cover that has left you dissatisfied, please contact me offline at tomb@therohogroup.com.

Thank you!

Tom Borcherding
    The ROHO Group
    tomb@therohogroup.com

Many manufacturers monitor this forum, but few would take time to post this type of information for our membership. The fact that you took the time and went so far as to tell us why Roho moved away from the "classic" lycra cover in the first place is commendable.

One of the things that can be extremely frustrating for both end users and clinicians is dealing with the "WTF?" features we encounter with almost every custom seating/wheeled mobility product we use. Although it is easy for us to attribute such features to a lack of common sense among the manufacturers, I know that sometimes the underlying rationale can be much more complex.

When we understand the logic behind product decisions, sense some acknowledgement that you know we are dissatisfied with something, then keep us in the loop about what is being done, we become more informed consumers. I'm of the belief that an informed consumer is more likely to be a satisfied consumer because they understand the pros and cons of whatever equipment they choose. While this seems like common sense to me, common sense is not a common virtue in this industry.

Of course, you realize this makes good business sense as well. Knowing you hear our concerns, avoid any spin, and are genuinely interested in what we have to say not only builds customer loyalty, it helps you develop better products.

I'm sure you also know that there probably isn't a market research firm anywhere that can provide you with more-accurate information about your target market than what you can get here for free on CareCure.

By posting this thread, you may also have succeeded in putting to rest some of the conspiracy theories that have surfaced here about why Roho changed cover materials a few years back.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that your involvement is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the detailed information Tom and even more so for your hands on approach in helping us, the customer; I am a recipient of this assistance.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Mr Borcherding, I want to thank you for the prompt attention to the cover issues I was having. There seems to be a marked difference in the new material and I believe it will hold up much better.

Thanks also for keeping us informed like you do. Your attention to customer service within your company has made me a customer for life.

Ryan

Thank you for the information and announcement about the new cushion covers.

Will the new covers help in anyway with heat/moisture dispersion?

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Thank you for the information and announcement about the new cushion covers.

Will the new covers help in anyway with heat/moisture dispersion?

All the best,
    GJ
    I don't believe the material change has any bearing on the properties of heat / moisture dissipation. The goals in the 2-phase change are to 1) increase the durability of the top material, 2) improve the "feel" or "comfort" of the top material and 3) increase the bi-directional stretch properties of the top material. The top material fabric has been and continues to be a breathable material (unless you are using ROHO's Heavy Duty Cover which is fluid-proof).

How will the new-new cover be differentiated? You said the new one comes in a blue bag, will there be another color for the November rollout?

I am in need of a cover, got a couple big ol' holes in between my legs, dog jumping up onto my lap. But I also need good immersion, have a "soft spot" from a previous sore and it opens easily, so I want to wait for the new-new model, and make sure that is what I receive when I order.

Thanks for keeping us informed.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

i like the top, sorry i haven't gotten back to you , Tom, but it still bulges out the sides and the front, i don't see any difference in the containment of the cells, i had the front big slit sewn up at the local seamstress and it helped alot, i was told by my vendor that the big slit in the front is because u use that cover for the quattro also, but everyone i know that uses a roho, the cells will come out of that slit in the front, and i know it usually means its over inflated but some people don't like the squishy wishy washy no balance the cushion gives u when its almost flat, and that where it needs to be to be optimal, but its very uncomfortable that way.......but the stretch on the Lycra will be fine and i don't think it will run like the other, but containment of the cells are a whole other ballgame.......airart1

Quote Originally Posted by airart1 View Post
    i like the top, sorry i haven't gotten back to you , Tom, but it still bulges out the sides and the front, i don't see any difference in the containment of the cells, i had the front big slit sewn up at the local seamstress and it helped alot, i was told by my vendor that the big slit in the front is because u use that cover for the quattro also, but everyone i know that uses a roho, the cells will come out of that slit in the front, and i know it usually means its over inflated but some people don't like the squishy wishy washy no balance the cushion gives u when its almost flat, and that where it needs to be to be optimal, but its very uncomfortable that way.......but the stretch on the Lycra will be fine and i don't think it will run like the other, but containment of the cells are a whole other ballgame.......airart1
    you may want to check out the heavy duty "incontinence" ROHO cover. It seems to contain my High Profile MUCH better...I also have one for the low profile I use in my truck......I had the same issues with a cell popping out of that front slit....I didnt have that problem with a low profile but my PT doesnt want me on a low profile right now (or at all for that matter) because of a recent flap surgery......IMO that slit in the front lets alot of debris and fine grit in that can damage the cushion as well. I have found that the heavy duty covers help with this as well.

sewing it up is a great idea.

thanks ryano, i didn't even know they had anything like that, is it not stretchy around the sides, my problem is more pronounced after i put on the jay back it doesn't have the back to hold in the back of the cushion if that makes sense, and it basically spreads all over the place and hard to keep adjusted......thanks again, I've got to go to the VA at the end of the month, I'll ask Tammy if i could see one, they should have one on had to look at or test, they pressure map every year.....