Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: C1 & C2 Injury

Please get the PM&R consult done before you agree to anything for the Kaiser move. Ask for Suzy Kim, MD.

Kaiser is very likely to move her to a sub-acute (nursing home) "rehab" or LTAC (long term care hospital) rather than a true acute SCI or TBI accredited rehabilitation center (which Kaiser does not have in Southern California).

(KLD)

Gabriela, I urge you to do as SCI-Nurse KLD says and get the consult before your mother is moved to Kaiser. It could make a significant difference in her treatment and outcome. Meds can cause some of the symptoms you are seeing - my father was treated with a couple of cardiac drugs that caused him to make constant licking/mouth movements and picking motions with his fingers, and this was not picked up on by his regular doctor at the time (although the doctor was an acknowledged expert in his limited field); a consultant identified the problem. It takes a very special, focused kind of expertise to sort out a complicated picture like the one your mother presents. Best wishes always as you seek the best guidance and direction!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Please get the PM&R consult done before you agree to anything for the Kaiser move. Ask for Suzy Kim, MD.

Kaiser is very likely to move her to a sub-acute (nursing home) "rehab" or LTAC (long term care hospital) rather than a true acute SCI or TBI accredited rehabilitation center (which Kaiser does not have in Southern California).

(KLD)
    Thank you for the information. It has been a frustrating last 2 days. Kaiser refused to do the PM&R and said bill would be passed on to us if we refused the transfer. They said that it is only when the patient is fully aware and responsive. They transferred her to Kaiser without much notice. It happened when I was not at hospital yet that day. My dad was just told they would be transferring her within few hours.

She is now at Kaiser at Anaheim. Big change from where she was before in terms of care. I asked again for PM&R and they "no". She can open her eyes but not very often. We feel she hears us but her eyes are full of tears. I imagine that if she is aware she is totally depressed and shocked.

They gave my dad a list of facilities already. They said that there is nothing they can do and it is just waiting, but it seems like they want to move her to a care facility soon. I asked about sending her to a CSI therapy rehab center and they said she would not be eligible because she is not conscious and can't benefit from any rehab centers. Is this true? Is it even safe to move her so soon? She has a halo. I think one of you said that your son was intensive care for 3 months. Does anyone know what our rights in choosing an appropriate center for her?

I feel like if they are just trying to push her out to a facility without waiting for her to heal or regain more conscious.

Any advice would be helpful.

Gabriela

I feel your pain in your words and so sorry you are going thru this. As a Mother myself and my daughter fought for me to get better, your Mom should be very proud of you. You are her advocate because she can not speak. I can tell you are searching for answers.

I would think if your Mom's eyes are filled with tears she can hear what is going on. Just keep reasuring her how much she is loved and to keep on fighting.

Wishing you the best with your Mom.
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

Gabriela, your mother's care has been wrested from your control by the hospital and insurance companies and I think it's time to get medicolegal advice. I don't know how to go about doing that in your state, but others here might be able to tell you. You need to find out specifically what your rights and options are.

Quote Originally Posted by momsurvive View Post
    Thank you for the information. It has been a frustrating last 2 days. Kaiser refused to do the PM&R and said bill would be passed on to us if we refused the transfer. They said that it is only when the patient is fully aware and responsive. They transferred her to Kaiser without much notice. It happened when I was not at hospital yet that day. My dad was just told they would be transferring her within few hours.

She is now at Kaiser at Anaheim. Big change from where she was before in terms of care. I asked again for PM&R and they "no". She can open her eyes but not very often. We feel she hears us but her eyes are full of tears. I imagine that if she is aware she is totally depressed and shocked.

They gave my dad a list of facilities already. They said that there is nothing they can do and it is just waiting, but it seems like they want to move her to a care facility soon. I asked about sending her to a CSI therapy rehab center and they said she would not be eligible because she is not conscious and can't benefit from any rehab centers. Is this true? Is it even safe to move her so soon? She has a halo. I think one of you said that your son was intensive care for 3 months. Does anyone know what our rights in choosing an appropriate center for her?

I feel like if they are just trying to push her out to a facility without waiting for her to heal or regain more conscious.

Any advice would be helpful.

Gabriela
    Oh she also has brain injury. When her C1/C2 dislocated they pushed up to her brain. She had some bleeding as well. She also had seizers for many hours. She also had her abdomen open to repair an organ and she had another opening from where they opened her to massage her heart to restart it. With all this that went on with her body is why I feel like she needs more time to recuperate so they can fully access her and she has more time to regain more conscious.

Gabriela, I wish I had some answers or suggestions. How frustrating the way you are being treated. You all must be exhausted also.
    Wishing you some good news soon.

We were a little worried because she hadn't opened her eyes in a few days. She just started opening her eyes again and sometimes blinks at us and tears fall when we talk to her. She wiggles her feet often, but doctors say it is reflex. But sometimes we touch her feet and she moves at that moment, is this still reflex?

She got pneumonia today. She is still at Kaiser in Anaheim. I applied for Medical and she got approved.

They want to move her to a sub-acute facility because they say she still is not conscious. She is on seizure medicines so is asleep for many hours of the day, but sometimes she opens her eyes. Can someone tell me what would be the most appropriate place to move her from the hospital? We live in Southern Ca.

If she can open her eyes on command, try to establish a way to communicate with her. The usual is 1 blink for yes, 2 blinks for no. Work on this and see if you can get anything at all established. If you can, she may be conscious but locked-in.

If she is still on the ventilator, I suspect they will want her to go to an LTAC (long term acute center) which is like a nursing home. She will be unlikely to get much therapy there. Kindle is a for-profit one that has facilities all over the county. It would depend on which facility your Kaiser contracts with.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by momsurvive View Post
    We were a little worried because she hadn't opened her eyes in a few days. She just started opening her eyes again and sometimes blinks at us and tears fall when we talk to her. She wiggles her feet often, but doctors say it is reflex. But sometimes we touch her feet and she moves at that moment, is this still reflex?

She got pneumonia today. She is still at Kaiser in Anaheim. I applied for Medical and she got approved.
    Touch often triggers involuntary spasms.

I'm sorry about the pneumonia, in my experience that will make her even more out of it for a while. What treatment are they giving her for that?

It's too much for any family. My sincere sympathies.