Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The most important lesson a teacher instilled

The most important lesson a teacher instilled

on you is, what?

Mine comes from Professor Jack West from Camden County College which I will paraphrase.

"Never assume people are logical (reasonable), professional or moral."

Follow this and disappointment in others is significantly reduced.
    And the truth shall set you free.

The most important lesson a teacher instilled

"If you don't get an education, you'll be calling less intelligent people "boss" for the rest of your life."
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

So true
    may i go one further you will be calling boss people less intelligent and less work motivated
    too.

You never learn anything when you're talking. When talking you are telling someone else something you already know.

be a buddy, study, study. don't be a jerk, do your school work.

excuses are the nails that build the house of failure
    -- mr thering, 9th grade social studies
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

"Do unto others before they can do you" - Dr. Jack Jones, Strategy and Business Planning.

Honestly, I have no idea.

I swear, it wasn't a total waste.... I think?

self respect.

Mr Mennon. He's on my facebook and has been for years. He's retired now.

He was my teacher the summer before I became paralyzed. He was such a good teacher who made learning entertaining and used to let my best friend and I exchange jokes with him for five minutes of class time. He came to visit me in hospital - an hour and a half away from home - as soon as he heard (school started up and I wasn't there) and told me how worried he was when I wasn't at school and didn't know what had happened until he learned from some of my friends. I remember the marked difference in how he spoke with me while visiting - like an adult and no longer a child. I remember that specifically.

I had a bad day in grade eight. Some of the boys did something I can't even remember now. He took me aside and spoke with me about the chair (trust me no one else did - I couldn't bring anything up with my family and no psychologists during 1985). He was the first one who taught me to see beyond the chair (though he doesn't know that). He said, "Do you ever think the boys do that because they like you?" I would have thought that previously, but the chair wiped all the self-esteem out of the 13yr old. Another thing I remember during that conversation is him squatting down and grabbing the lower bars of the chair to huddle up with me and chat. No other adult ever did that - it was like being in a wheelchair was contagious with others. He's a very intelligent man and I admire him greatly.

My grade eight teacher's father was in a wheelchair when she grew up so she 'molly-coddled' me by not letting me go out on cold days and I felt stagnated. He understood and acknowledged this but didn't make waves because she was close to retirement, a prominent member of the community and a family friend. She was my teacher when I finally came back to school, having missed two months. I had a tutor in the hospital but I don't remember what I learned outside of english/writing. When I went back, I had an exceptionally difficult time with equations (math in general) and french. It's like I forgot everything. I don't remember studying either with the tutor - who took me out for lunch before I was discharged - very nice lady!

But Mr Mennon - Best. Teacher. Ever. Hands. Down.

Neato Factoid: Originally from India (I say this because it was a small town).
    Last edited by lynnifer; 10-07-2011 at 10:08 PM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Don't accept things at face value

And own what you believe