Thread: Scientists use cloning to make human stem cells

Scientists use cloning to make human stem cells

Some really good news maybe this will help the States in future stem cell studies if the Republican's happen to be in office. Its unfortunate that politics are mixed in with religion but either way this might help in the future for all of us no matter what political party is running the country.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7944GC20111005

Mooner
    Last edited by Mooner99; 10-05-2011 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooner99 View Post
    Some really good news maybe this will help the States in future stem cell studies if the Republican's happen to be in office. Its unfortunate that politics are mixed in with religion but either way this might help in the future for all of us no matter what political party is running the country.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7944GC20111005

Mooner
    I don't think republicans care where the ESC come from, as long as they are ESC, they will always find an excuse to sabotage any research that has to do with ESC because of their religious platitudes, e.g. in this case I can imagine them saying that the ESC (potentially human creating cells, according to them,) are being created just so that they can be destroyed for curing someone else,. Their Summery will be "Creating & killing a human potential for trying to cure another person".

Quote Originally Posted by challenged athlete View Post
    I don't think republicans care where the ESC come from, as long as they are ESC, they will always find an excuse to sabotage any research that has to do with ESC because of their religious platitudes, e.g. in this case I can imagine them saying that the ESC (potentially human creating cells, according to them,) are being created just so that they can be destroyed for curing someone else,. Their Summery will be "Creating & killing a human potential for trying to cure another person".
    thats fine, well just have to travel out of the country to get the cure.

The real issue here is the long term health of the cloned stem cells- The telomeres of the nucleus taken from the patent cell will be shorter than those of a "normal" embryonic cell. Telomeres play a very important role in protecting DNA from damage and rearrangements, like a protective cap on the end of the chromosomes. So while you have a "young" embryonic cytoplasm, you have an "old" donor nucleus. This results in very high mortality in any cloning experiment, and those animals that have developed to live birth ALWAYS have significantly shorter life span and more diseases often associated with animals twice their age... because they are born "old". Now, from a schientific standpoint this could get around some of the ridiculous regulations imposed on ESC study... but you definitely would NOT want to inject these into anyone... at least anyone you cared about LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.zapp View Post
    The real issue here is the long term health of the cloned stem cells- The telomeres of the nucleus taken from the patent cell will be shorter than those of a "normal" embryonic cell. Telomeres play a very important role in protecting DNA from damage and rearrangements, like a protective cap on the end of the chromosomes. So while you have a "young" embryonic cytoplasm, you have an "old" donor nucleus. This results in very high mortality in any cloning experiment, and those animals that have developed to live birth ALWAYS have significantly shorter life span and more diseases often associated with animals twice their age... because they are born "old". Now, from a schientific standpoint this could get around some of the ridiculous regulations imposed on ESC study... but you definitely would NOT want to inject these into anyone... at least anyone you cared about LOL.
    Stem cells have a high level of telomerase activity (the enzyme that extends telomeres.) Therefore wouldn't clones of stem cells also have sufficient telomerase activity to avoid degradation of coding DNA?

Quote Originally Posted by captainwelch View Post
    Stem cells have a high level of telomerase activity (the enzyme that extends telomeres.) Therefore wouldn't clones of stem cells also have sufficient telomerase activity to avoid degradation of coding DNA?
    That's one of the questions this research could answer. However, I'm not holding my breath. The lab I did my graduate research in did telomerase research, though in a cancer context. Because telomerase is a nuclear protein, the "old" nucleus will not have the same telomerase activity that the original stem cell did. We and others found that taking a cell with low telomerase activity and up-regulating it can lead to cancer development in some cases, but that was not using stem cells. Also, the signals to increase telomerase transcription may not be present in the transplanted cytoplasm... hopefully they can answer that. It is probable that the difficulties inherent with somatic cell nuclear transfer (cloning) are not limited to telomerase alone.