Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Apple Visionary Steve Jobs Passes Away at 56

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    He was a true visionary and futurist, and his impact on the world goes beyond popular consumer products.
    Not to mention that this is a time that our country can ill afford to lose Jobs.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Not to mention that this is a time that our country can ill afford to lose Jobs.

That would have made a very apt pun Foolish (or was it?).

R.I.P Mr. Jobs, our world will be blander without you.

"Everyone hyperventilating, repeat after me: I am not defined by the products I buy. My computer is not a part of my identity. My computer is a tool. And like all tools, it's only useful if I make it useful. A brand is not a lifestyle. I don't owe gratitude to a billionaire I helped create. Steve Jobs was a business man who charged exhorbitantly for his products. He didn't do us any favors. He didn't make us. We made him." -Maddox
    Preferring a tool to a lifestyle is why I'm typing this comment on a home built PC running a dual boot of Windows and Linux. Gotta laugh when I hear on the news that sales of mock turtle necks soared in the last 24 hours. But I do give Steve Jobs his due for being an innovator who helped breach the gulf between real world users and geeky tech nerds. Anybody who doesn't remember needing to learn DOS and BASIC to operate the first personal computers probably doesn't appreciate the democratization that the mouse and GUI (clicking on pictures) brought to the computer universe. Jobs didn't invent anything, but he did add a vision and an energy that heavily influenced the speed and direction of technological advance.

Anybody know the names Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston? They should be the most famous names in personal computing pioneers. I mean, besides Al Gore.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Anybody know the names Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston? They should be the most famous names in personal computing pioneers. I mean, besides Al Gore.
    Yeah, I remember them from the PBS documentary The Triumph of the Nerds.

Don't forget the Altair!